Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Any chance of a FPK packer/unpacker with a GUI interface?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corsican
Swabbie

944 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Any chance of a FPK packer/unpacker with a GUI interface? Reply with quote

Any chance of a FPK packer/unpacker with a GUI interface?

Would really help someone as computer challenged as I
TIA
Rahly
Powder Monkey

376 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why, you too retarded to use command line?

--
This is a warning. Insults are not approved on this site.
- Wolfwood
--
Kiwegapa
Powder Monkey

515 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's a bit insulting. There's no need to demean someone for making a request that was open to the entire community.

I do use the FPK command line unpacker, and it does the job, but I too would prefer a GUI version because I tend to work that way. I use drag-and-drops, multi-line selects with the mouse, and a GUI utility could include preview images of the files so that one could choose which files to extract without dumping the whole thing to a directory and sorting through for what you want.

I guess what I have in mind is more of an 'FPK Editor'. You open up the FPK in a file selector, and it lists the files it contains in a scrollable list. You could select the files and view or edit them, perhaps with an external application. Then you could select all the files or certain files and export them to a new FPK or to a directory for future use.

There really isn't any fault with the current FPK unpacker. But just as some people prefer WinZip to the command line unpacker, some would like an FPK GUI.

While the original poster and others have said they aren't highly computer skilled, that doesn't prevent them from being artists or enhancing their skill by exploring such things.
Corsican
Swabbie

944 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retarded? Well.. when it comes to filekeeping, uhm..yes!
I'm mildy skilled in PSP, Illustrator, Photoshop and would prefer to use a GUI based proggie just because thats the enviorn I am more comfortable with. I haven't as yet even tried the command line unpacker as I am concerned that I would have stray bits of files all over the place.
I'm sure at some point someone will come up with a utility for FPK and then I'll be able to have all my Pirates! mods, art, etc in one neat little uncluttered folder. Smile
Corsican
Swabbie

944 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rahly wrote:
why, you too retarded to use command line?

And I must say that I am soooo reminded of SNL's IT Guy! "MOOOOVE!" Very Happy
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rahly's been warned for his choice of words.

On topic: Even though I belong to the old school, I can understand perfectly how many people may feel anxious about command line applications in this day when many have started computing without ever having had the necessity to become familiar with written commands. And, with drag&drop etc., the GUI versions are naturally quicker and easier to use than written commands.
Rahly
Powder Monkey

376 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

easier to use? yes, quicker? not at all. Not to mention, CLIs are usually more powerful than GUIs.

Now, support for drag and dropping is a pain for these files. Unpacking and view could be done easily, but its packing thats the pain. These files aren't ment to be used via a gui. Just drag and dropping a file to add it to say a Pak?.fpk could take 5-10 depending on your hard drive. This is because, just adding a file, you have to MOVE every file already in the FPK file just to add it. FPKs aren't structured like a ZIP file, if it was it would be simple to drag and drop.

I was considering writing one, but like Kiwegapa said, I personally would want to put in a DDS/image preview as well as a sound player, maybe even integrate it into the shell. DDS files are like AVI files, meaning they are containers for images. DDS's can be of any format and have the same painstakes as codecs for video.
CronosGod
Powder Monkey

225 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished my GUI FPK packer. You can download it here.

Feature wise it doesn't offer a lot more than Rahly did. Just looks more user friendly for the people who hate consoles.

Enjoy!!!

P.S. I hope I am not interfering with any forum rules by posting the link there. If I did feel free to remove it.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No forum rules broken, CronosGod!

In fact, you might consider making a thread of its own for your fpk packer, so that more people will be able to find it.
CronosGod
Powder Monkey

225 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all done!
Corsican
Swabbie

944 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Cronos!! But the download requires a GameSpy login? Could we post this on an open FTP maybe?

http://forum.piratesahoy.net/ftopic3673.php
TheDS
Seaman

2085 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

er, yeah, not only am I too retarded to use a CLI, I'm also too retarded to register with gamespammer^h^h^h^h^h^h^hspy.

Hey, if you live in the Daytona beach / St. Augustine area, and you are interested in playing games, send me a note. I need a new gamer group!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CronosGod
Powder Monkey

225 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... well registering on gamespy gives you access to all forumplanet forums and fileplanet and a few other things, so I can't see why you are against it. But everyone with his own will, if you want to host it on your private ftp I have nothing against it.
Corsican
Swabbie

944 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevertheless, thank you for your efforts and making modding available to uber-noobs like me who would prefer to use a GUI interface! I'm sure someone will make your valuable proggie available soon so I'm thanking you in advance.
Corsican
Swabbie

944 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we could prune this topic and use
http://www.cutlassisle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1048
from now on?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: