Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

THIS SUX!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm.. whenever you install a new videocard, you really need to make sure you not only install the new drivrs, but also re-install directx... Directx does a very poor job of reconfiguring itself.

Still don't have the game (still not out here, eventhough it should) but there must be a directx version on the Pirates! CD. Just install that over your old directx.
luckybaer66
Swabbie

1282 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sky wrote:
I never did it on my own, but some time ago i read that it is difficult to exchange e.g., a graphics card with NVidia (GForce) chip with another one that has an ATI chip on it (or vice versa). What I heard from people who tried to do it, they didn't get their system running properly and finally had to re-install their operating system. I'm not sure, but I guess that was/is mainly a Windows 2000 issue. Maybe with WinXP such an exchange works better...

So, which card did you have before, and which one are you using now? Would be interesting...

Swapped out a GeForce FX5600XT from MSI with a ATI Radeon 9550 and had no problems. Went in afterwards and cleaned out all the Nvidia stuff that was left over (even though everything was working fine).
sky
Swabbie

991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, sorry... then it seems like the people that i heard this from didn't de-install the old drivers before...
in fact, i think i also never de-install old drivers before replacing something.. Shocked
PiratesFan
Rigger

23509 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOu should alwyas unistall the drivers first before installing a new car of the same type be it video sound or network... shutdown and install new device with the POWER CORD unplugged Wink
That way you should have a clean install of the new device
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tricon
Powder Monkey

110 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
unistall the drivers first before installing a new car

Nice typo. Thanks for the smile.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiratesFan wrote:
Try unisntalling your directx on the new computer uninstall Pirates and then reinstall Pirates which it should install the version of Driectx they included with the software... See if that takes care fo the problem. Wink

I hope it does nothing more aggrevating then waiting all these years for another good Pirates! game and when it comes out not being able to play it

Sounds too easy to be true.

Still have not been able to find where/how to uninstall Directx.
Seems to have no links from the control panel, add/remove programs, start menu.

Perhapseee I just cannot see what is there.

How do you uninstall Directx???????
dalgo
Swabbie

668 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take your PC to a store be sure to tell them the problem, not what you think the solution is. Ie 'This PC won't run Pirates, I think it is the video card' rather than just 'I need a new video card'. And give them your copy of Pirates to install as well. Otherwise you could be back here saying 'I've installed a new card and it still doesn't work, what's next?'
fatbaby
Powder Monkey

485 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you live? Maybe one of us can help you out.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatbaby wrote:
Where do you live? Maybe one of us can help you out.

Like I said, how do you uninstall Directx?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: