Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Everybody Loves A Clumbsy Dancer! (for V1.02) info
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corsair91
Sailing Master

207778 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:29 am    Post subject: Everybody Loves A Clumbsy Dancer! (for V1.02) info Reply with quote

Everybody Loves A Clumbsy Dancer! (for V1.02)

https://web.archive.org/web/20070905020801/http://www.addictedforums.com/index.php?showtopic=4136

x87bliss
Aug 25 2007

Who here loves the Dancing mini-game? It's so fun, and soooo easy. Ok, well, maybe some of us got the hang of it, but me... oh boy. It's like a reflection of my real life dancing skills. (IMG:style_emoticons/smileys/blushing.gif)

Well, I've got great news! We can patch the code so that, as the title suggests, everybody LOVES a clumbsy dancer!

There are two methods that do the same thing, one involves editing the Pirates!.exe. This way is best in my opinion, since you never have to reapply it again. Although, if you don't always want the feature on, then you should go with the second option, which is patching it in memory.

Method 1:
1) Download XVI32 (or use your favorite hex-editor, XVI32 is my fav, and it's 100% free)
2) Copy Pirates!.exe to Pirates!.exe.bak (in case you do it wrong and Pirates! crashes, you can go back)
3) Open Pirates!.exe in XVI32
4) Goto Address 0x175D2 (Ctrl+G in XVI32, select Hexadecimal, type 175D2 in box, and "absolute", hit ok)
5) Read 6 bytes starting from the one selected, they should be "2B F8 89 7C 24 30". If not, make sure you're at the right place.
6) Make sure you're in "Overwrite" mode, hit your insert Key to toggle, and it should say "Overwrite" in the status bar.
7) Change the first 2 bytes from "2B F8" to "B0 FF"
8 ) Change the fourth byte (0x175D5) from "7C" to "44"
9) Save

Method 2:
1) Download Cheat Engine (or use your favorite memory editor, ArtMoney, etc...)
2) Attach to Pirates!.exe process. (Don't continue if you are currently dancing, unless you have it paused!)
3) Go into the memory view, and goto address 0x4175D2.
4) Read 6 bytes starting from the one selected, they should be "2B F8 89 7C 24 30". If not, make sure you're at the right place.
5) Change the first 2 bytes from "2B F8" to "B0 FF"
6) Change the fourth byte (0x4175D5) from "7C" to "44"
8 ) Note: This will stay this way until you quit Pirates! and reload it. You do NOT have to freeze the values. One time edit.

How to use:
Ok, so if you did everything in either Method 1 or Method 2 correctly, this is how you actually use the cheat. Dance, mess up, cheer! You can either sit and watch yourself stumble, or you can try to dance for fun. Either way, as long as you mess up once, you're guarenteed to embrace your lover for a kiss! (And if you don't mess up at all, you're probably in for a kiss anyway)

Warning! Nerd Content:
Wow, Russ, that was splendid, but I don't understand how changing those values did anything!
Well, what we did was actually change the program just a bit.
Those bytes are what gets sent to the CPU when the game is running. They are the instructions of how the game works. I'll break it down into the assembly.

Normally the code is:
4175D2 - 2B F8 - sub edi, eax
(at this point your dance performance is stored in edi, and the cost of the mistake in eax, this subtracts eax from edi)
4175D4 - 89 7C 24 30 - mov [esp+30], edi
(now this takes your dance performance, edi, and stores it into memory, making the change take effect)

Now that we changed it, this happens:
4175D2 - B0 FF - mov al, 0xff
(we don't care about edi anymore. al is the lowest 8-bits of eax, and we set that to 0xff (255) a really good dance score)
4175D4 - 89 44 24 30 - mov [esp+30], eax
(now we store eax (our really high dance score) into memory, making our change take effect)

The above segment of code is only executed when you make a mistake. The reason I modify eax, instead of edi (where the dance score is normally calculated) is to save space and be able to fit the code modification. By using eax, I can just modify the 8-bits of al, there is no way to modify just 8-bits of EDI. It's the difference of a 2-byte opcode, and a 5-byte opcode.

Last edited by corsair91 on Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bad they couldn’t concentrate on putting all that energy into learning to dance it would be more rewarding and a great confidence booster. Anyway the trainer has a auto dance feature which I do use modding the ballrooms so I can concentrate on my artwork not the game itself. That’s a different story but any other reason is cheating which defeats the purpose of playing the game anyway. I’d get tired of winning every time without need of skill myself.
corsair91
Sailing Master

207778 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was more interested in the hex info
as thought that may be useful to have somewhere
and being a good explanation of it.

The original purpose of most cheats is to aid developers or modders in testing
stuff as having to fully complete stuff every time would get old very quickly
and slow them down.

Not intended as a gamplay aid as can spoil the gaming experience
even though probably used as such by non-modder gamers

I usually do well in the bruised toes challenge
Just wish there was more in game response to poor dancing
other than a lack of hearts
Say A shriek or so as you crush the toes or a gesture in response
like a tap with her fan indicating displeasure.

They are probably being protective of the gamer's ego here.

Last edited by corsair91 on Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:27 am; edited 13 times in total
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh your fine Corsair. I wasn’t knocking you for posting it as I can see your one of are most valuable members here and I certainly appreciate your contribution and I have a great amount of respect for you. Thanks for all you have done. I was simply saying cheating isn’t exactly my thing as I can’t see how that adds value to the game but some people get their thrills that way and I suppose it’s whatever floats the boat do what makes you happy. Yes they are intelligent people otherwise they couldn’t cheat but I would have preferred something that adds value to the game sorta like some of the stuff Adam Mill did that sort of thing. We all have the trainer to cheat with but your right I’m glad you post stuff like this when you see it so it’s not you I’m picking on. I shouldn’t pick on anybody for that matter as it’s not the right thing to do is it.
corsair91
Sailing Master

207778 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone finds replay value in different ways

if you have fully completed the game
then I don' t see the harm as not an imposed choice
or something you can trigger by accident.
Things don't get hex edited by accident.

If you haven't fully completed the game then you are losing out on the gaming experience, your choice.

Grabbing say a sniper scope in shooter games early
can actually improve the experience under certain circumstances
depends on how much of an advantage that gives you
in any pre-scripted game sequences until you are actually scripted to
have the scope.

Playing any game normally initially as intended first typically is the best way to go. Also helps determine if a cheat would actually be of any use.

Last edited by corsair91 on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:08 am; edited 3 times in total
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what your saying. I guess it’s whatever floats your boat. As for me if I could dance once I could dance again as no point in cheating the second time around but they probably just fooling around with the game which isn’t really nothing wrong with that either. Amazing things happen when people can figure things out like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: