Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

The Capture of Margarita, Kristian Foshaug
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corsair91
Sailing Master

210827 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: The Capture of Margarita, Kristian Foshaug Reply with quote

The Capture of Margarita,
Kristian Foshaug

(KriFos here)

https://web.archive.org/web/20061023173358/http://addictedtopirates.com/stories/margaritacapture/margarita.html

The capture of Margarita!
Arrrr'!

Today, in the year of the lord 1600, on the first day of the year, I finally arrived in Trinidad. I went up to visit the spanish governour and spoke to him about various issues. He then offered me a letter of marque for six hundred gold pieces, but I said I would have to think about it... After all, I am a dutchman... And we have no colonies here in the caribbean... And the spanish towns are many...

So I set off from Trinidad with my Cargo Fluyt and 44 men to help me on my tasks... Not a big party, but you have to start somewhere...

According to my research, the spanish city of Margarita, which lies a few days to the west of Trinidad, has few defenses... Though I wont be able to plunder the town yet, I am sure it wont take long before I have enough men below my belt to make a serious attempt. But for now, I'll just sail around the area, plundering ships passing by...

---

We have now been sailing in spanish waters about a week, and today we encountered a spanish Merchantman, but we didnt attack it, as we realised they greatly outnumbered us. But only a few hours later, an almost empty, english Merchantman passed by in the same area. I think we might have discovered a trade-route.

Anyway, this ship was not heavily guarded at all, so we attacked. After a few minutes with bombardement, we decided to board. It didn't take long before I had their captain on his knees, begging for his life.

We lost no men in this battle, and we gained much goods and tobacco, some food, and a few cannons. I made the decision to sink the Merchantman, as we didnt have enough crew for both the merchantman and our Cargo Fluyt.. And of course, their captain and his crew sank with it...

---

The spanish port of Margarita is only a couple of days away now, and earlier today we encountered two spanish Merchantmans. We plundered both, and sank one of them. I realised since Margarita was so close, we could make it all the way with both ships. Boy, was I wrong...

Sailing through some dangerous waters, I asked the other ship to follow me closely since I knew the way, but it didn't. It sailed straight onto some reeves, and sank with lots of goods and valuables! We lost eight brave men in this sad accident.

---

Today we arrived at Margarita, to check the defenses ourselves. From the local tavern, I learned that this town counts 110 soldiers. That means we need at least 250 men to capture this town and keep the citizens calm during the installation of a dutch governour...

I managed to recruit 24 new men here, but there is still a long way to go...

-------> Part two

Having scouted Margarita properly, I quickly found out that we needed more men for this task. So I had nothing else to do but to leave for other nearby ports, and try to recruit some fresh pirates.

I realised that if we were to stand a chance against spanish guardboats near the towns, we would either need more men (a task that I am on, but which will take some time), OR... we could try capturing a Pinnace or a sloop... Fast moving, very manouverable ships...

---

After a few days at sea, lady luck stroke us. A beautiful spanish Pinnace sailed by in the horizon... We quickly set our course towards it... Sadly it discovered us just a minute too early...

But we didn't give up! We loaded our cannons and fired all twelwe at once... And, surprisingly, most of the cannonballs made a direct impact.. We watched as the main mast fell down, and we thought that we had them... But no...

As I mentioned, they discovered us just a minute too early... Enough for them to make a turn almost straight against the wind, as they KNEW that our big, clumsy Cargo Fluyt wouldnt stand a chance sailing after them... Even with the main mast, they managed to outsail us pretty quickly... Curse on 'em. I guess we'll have to keep looking.

---

At last, our patience paid off... Once again we discovered a Pinnace nearby... And this time... We was on the right side of the wind. Almost before they noticed us, we fired all our cannons. And hit! On the read end of the boat, big holes... It was clear that it was leaking. It sank deeper and deeper in the water...

As we approached the boat, they rised the white flag. They surrendered. However, getting a new little ship is one thing... Getting new, unexperienced "crew" from a ship we just captured, is another thing... That's why we let them walk the planch... Every single one of them!

---

We headed back for Margarita. I heard rumors about there being a price on my head... six thousand two hundred gold pieces... I had to be alert all the time, but luckily, noone recognized me, at least none of those who would dare challenge me and my longsword-skills.

While the shipyard was repairing our ships, I stumbled across some sailors... They had belonged to the notorious captain La Mancha, but was now unemployed because he was imprisoned. Bad news for him. Good news for me.

---

We now count 82 men. It is still a way to go, but with our new Pinnace, it should be far easier to take on larger ships.

-------> Part three

After a few days with entertaining from the barmaid at the local tavern, we set sail again... We had to recruit more men. As we sailed out from the harbor, we were witnesses to the most beautiful sunset I've ever seen... Fantastic colors filled the sky, all variations between yellow, orange, red and almost pink... Surely a moment I will remember forever.

---

Just one day east of Margarita, we discovered yet another spanish Merchantman. This was the time to test our new Pinnace. And it went smooth... Sadly the ship was almost empty, so we got just a few tons of goods and tobacco off it... Still, we did what we came to do. Now bigger ships awaits...

---

Today we met an infamous pirate somewhere between Margarita and Trinidad. It was captain DeColigny himself. His fleet was much larger than ours, but there was no battle out of it. I spoke to him personally, but I kept my plans for Margarita a secret. He said that he was on his way to Coro, to meet his younger brother that was old enough now to join him on his journeys.

We gave eachother the pirate-word that we would let eachother alone and mind our own business. Little did he know that the prize on my head grew larger every day.

---

Two days north of Trinidad, the men started to grow impatient... They wanted to plunder... Kill... They wanted blood. So I gave it to them. Well, a nearby ship gave it to them...

It was the bloodiest battlefield I've ever seen in my days as a pirate-captain. And a fantastic moment. Right there and then, I KNEW that my goal to capture Margarita would be no problem at all with such an... well... "inspired" crew.

---

Arriving in Trinidad, I was met by a strange and shady character. He didn't tell me his name. He didn't say where he had seen me before. All he said was that he knew who I was, and what my plans were, and that he would make my life end a long time before I could capture Margarita. I gazed upon him... And he ran off and disappeared. Strange though, I hadnt been telling anyone about the plans... Well, exept for a few, trusted men. But really, could THEY be involved?

After Spending about a week in Trinidad recruiting men, I wanted to visit my older brother in Grenada. An english settlement, in which he was a well-known trader. So after the shipwright had made a quick look upon our ships, we set off.

-------> Part four

We met a dutch barque on our way to Grenada. Speaking to their captain, I learned that the french and the dutch had made an alliance against the spanish. This suited me well... With those forces combined on Spain, I hoped that it would weaken the spanish defenses enough for us to make an attempt in the near future.

---

After speaking to my brother, and selling a few tons of goods, he confirmed that Spain was at war against the french and dutch. We had a nice dinner with him and his wife. She is a very good cook. I almost dreamt about getting married myself... But, then I would probably have to give up my pirating days... And this is a life I won't give up for a long time.

As I was leaving my brother's house, he gave me a piece of information. It seemed like the spanish town Coro was almost unguarded at the moment. The spanish had moved most of their troops to guard the Silver Train which would arrive in Santa Marta in not too long.

The town is about two weeks away, so we had no time to lose. We set off for Coro...

---

About halfway to Coro, we noticed a large ship in the horizon. A Fast Galleon. At first I thought "Way to big for us!", but then I decided to try engaging it with our Pinnace. Once again, we were victorius. I'm sure we killed over 100 men in the battle. They fired their cannons only twice, though one time I swear to the lord that one of the cannonballs passed straight over my head... And missed.

Boarding the enemy ship, it didnt take long until I had the english captain on his knees. We plundered over two and a half thousand gold pieces and probably fifty tons of goods. As that wasnt enough, we added the Fast Galleon to our fleet. An extremely successful day.

---

We have attacked Coro. The city is in flames, and the men are enjoying the widows of the soldiers we've just killed. It was no match for us. Several thousand gold pieces and lots of food, goods and tobacco being carried onboard as I write this log. I wonder what we'll do next.

I know there is a town called Gibraltar to the south, which is almost always unguarded. The problem will have to get to it. Between us and it, the spanish town of Maracaibo lies. And it is also heavily guarded by warships and other patrols. I've even heard rumors of hostile pirates in those waters. Probably why it is so well guarded.

---

One day north of Maracaibo, we met Baron Montalban, a pirate-hunter. They are coming for me now. Stupid as he was, he attacked us. It was of course no match for my growing fleet, but we lost a few good men.

Just a few hours later, we got attacked again, this time by the pirate Baron Delgado. Having shared our 'balls with them for a while, they came too close and boarded us. Many lives was lost, and I myself got a few scratches in this duel, but in the end, he just wasn't good enough to be any real threat to me.

We got hold of his ship, a Barque, and all its valuables. About thirty of Delgado's crew "converted" to us after we had started slaying just a few.

---

I am happy now. We got through the pass unnoticed. We had to sail through it by night though, which is pretty dangerous since I do not know these waters, and there could be reeves everywhere.

Anyways, I figured that since we only had room for a few more tons of cargo, we had to capture one of them Merchantmans to have enough space in hold for what awaited us in Gibraltar.... We met one only half a day from Gibraltar, and it quickly surrendered.

---

As I expected, Gibraltar was left unguarded. Noone had thought that anyone could pass through Maracaibo's pass unnoticed. Too bad for them. This was our biggest plunder so far, we filled all our ships to the limit, and we even had to leave some goods behind... Now we'll have to leave before words arrive to Maracaibo. And besides, we can't be fully loaded like we are now, we need to sell off this in a friendly town... But where...

I've heard some rumors that the town one day south for Margarita, I don't recall its name at this time, but I know it is a very rich town, which is also guarded by three forts and lots of soldiers...

-------> Part five

About six days before Cumana, the town which I didn't remember the name of, we met Baron La Mancha in a Fast Galleon loaded with men, and probably other valuables too, since it was pretty deep in the water. At first I met him personally, we discussed a couple of things, and he told me that the spanish town Coro was now been captured by the Dutch. Ack... So I failed to capture the first town in the caribbean for them...

As we were conversating, I built up more and more anger for what he told me... Was this really true? How could he know? Could it be that the traitor somewhere among my trusted men had told him about my plans, and that he did it just to piss me off?

Straight after we started to sail away from eachother, I commanded an attack! At first the crew hesitated, but then they realised that I was serious. La Mancha was surprised indeed, and by the time they fired their first load, they were already taking in water.

---

It was a big battle which lasted for several hours. Even though La Mancha's men were outnumbering us, they had to use most of their men on the pumps, which was a great advantage for us. We boarded them and me and La Mancha was fighting. Both of us were extremely defensive, and very afraid of eachother. I was very pissed off still, so I had a slight advantage over him.

The smoke and smell of newly fired gunpowder rised from the water and surrounded the ships... I was getting tired, so I knew that I had to finish this off pretty soon, or I would lose. Like a wild indian, I charged at him, in a bloodthirsty frenzy with all my rage and fury... I slashed my new sword at him so hard, that as he parried, his sword was cut in two pieces, and all he had left was his hilt and about a fourth of a blade left... like a tiny dagger... He knew he had lost... But he was too proud to be captured, so he ran towards me. I had no option but to let him run straight onto my sword...

As La Mancha fell down, and his blood spread over the battlefield, everyone stopped fighting. The great Baron was dead. He who had never lost a swordfight in his career. And now... He was beaten... Everyone kneeled towards me and the dead pirate...

I counted at least 150 men that converted to our cause. Just a few of his (not already dead) men resisted, and of course... You know what we do with 'em.

---

As I got a quick overview of how many men we were now, I realised that I had about 250 men ready to fight. I knew we had a chance on Margarita now... I knew it. But I had planned to plunder Cumana first.. The question was: How many men would I lose? Probably about half of them... At least... And then I would have to start from scratch again.

I told the crew we had a change of plans. "We aren't heading for Cumana anymore. It is time to capture Margarita and install a dutch governour!"

Noone seemed to be bothered by that. And that was good. If the crew had been upset by that, I would have had to go for Cumana after all to quench their thirst for gold and valuables. Yeah sure there were valuables in Margarita too, but not by far as much as in Cumana.

---

Closing up on Margarita, we waited a few hours southwest of it, until the darkness fell over the horizon as a black carpet. I fell asleep for a little while...

Suddenly I woke up by some squeaky noises. Someone was in my cabin. I knew it. I could feel it. I could smell the breath of... of... I grabbed my sword. But I couldnt see a thing at all... There was no light... Thick fog was covering everywhere, and I had put the lamp out before I took a nap.

I had to sharpen my ears, had to try to listen where it came from.

As lightning from a clear sky, I heard the sound of a blade swinging in the air, and if it hadn't been for my extremely quick reflexes that swinged up the blade infront of my eyes and parried the attack, I would not have been writing this in my diary. Cause I parried... I parried and thrusted the sword instantly after and I could hear it pierce through flesh and bones on the poor traitor... I ripped it out, and I heard a dump sound of someone falling to the ground.

I light the lamp, just to find my right hand, my cousin, my own flesh and blood, down, dead... Dead... My heartbeat tripled... How? Why? Why?

I went outside, and held him by the neck and shouted "THIS IS WHAT I WILL DO TO EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU WHO TRY TO BETRAY ME! EVEN IF YOU ARE MY OWN FLESH AND BLOOD! YOU WILL SUFFER!".

I knew there were several more traitors onboard, but I think they got cold feet after they saw what happened to their companion. Cause just about half an hour later, after I had washed the blood away from my cabin, we set sail in the fog for Margarita's port.

---

---

---

I know this isn't right of me, I should not have been reading this, and not be writing this in this book. But I will do it nevertheless.

Covered in fog, we sailed all the way in... Noone saw us coming... We just... Overwhelmed them... He ran off to their commander as we engaged their troops. We all fought bravely. Like we knew this was it. We quickly had the enemy in our hands, and they were about to surrender.

Suddenly we could see them fighting through the fog. They both got in some nasty hits, and screams of pain sounded through the air. They were on one of the city walls. We couldn't reach them.

I saw him make a powerful swing against the commanders neck... It was parried... Sort of... That is, he parried his arm instead of the sword, that continued through and chopped off his neck. Our captain... Lost his arm... The arm fell to the ground with the sword in it... He went down on his knees next to the dead commander... I saw how he turned his head towards us... Looked upon us... One last time... Then he fell over the dead body...

We did it though. We did as our captain would have done it. We installed a new Dutch governour in Margarita. I think he would have been pleased to know that what La Mancha had been telling him about Coro was a pure lie. This became the first Dutch town in the Caribbean. He would have been proud of us.

I guess I will be taking over now. I am going to head for Grenada to tell his brother of his death. But I promise I will continue in the fight for the Dutch empire, as I know that is what our captain wished.

---

I will be closing his diary now. I just had to complete his story. It was too bad that he couldn't finish it himself.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: