Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

ship shape
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: ship shape Reply with quote

Quick question....I have gotten in the habit of capturing treasure galleons and such and then abandoning them. Catch and release as it were. If a ship is released does it help keep that type in play? Is there a set amount? I also release pirate vessels after removing the booty in the hope they are "reseeded" as pirate vessels. Plus it keeps my man per ship quotas high, which is what started me doing this.

I have also started experimenting with using a captured treasure galleon and Monty's flag galleon as my heavy duty dreadnoughts. So far so good. Why chase all over the map to get a fast large frigate or SOTL when you have when handy and fully decked out (Monty or Ray's ride of course)

below snapshot: pirate hell! my treasure galleon and Ray floating into eternity. Can't maneuver them into each other.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3742149/pirate%20hell.png
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that it doesn't matter if you keep the ship or not the game can always spawn new ones. keeping a ship allows you to sell it for a profit or keeping it to raise a larger force to take enemy forts. I wish the each ship you capture could also help you in sea battles instead of hiding until the battle is over. Monty and Rays ships are great for firepower, crew size, cargo hold but slow compared to the Sotl and large Frigate. I would think the treasure galleon would make a excellent trade ship with plenty of firepower to go along with its cargo hold but even more slow than the fighting galleons.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
I'm thinking that it doesn't matter if you keep the ship or not the game can always spawn new ones. keeping a ship allows you to sell it for a profit or keeping it to raise a larger force to take enemy forts. I wish the each ship you capture could also help you in sea battles instead of hiding until the battle is over. Monty and Rays ships are great for firepower, crew size, cargo hold but slow compared to the Sotl and large Frigate. I would think the treasure galleon would make a excellent trade ship with plenty of firepower to go along with its cargo hold but even more slow than the fighting galleons.

Agreed. Smile
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your flagship is a war canoe, your fleet will be fast, whether its other member is another war canoe or a fluyt (as long as both vessels are undamaged).
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: re to rolands re Reply with quote

I tend to agree with roland. I always keep a pinnace class just for that reason. I think it does some form of averaging of fleet speed based on ship types. Playing around with ship types I hooked a fairly decked out Brig of War which I haven't used in forever. Have to admit the advantage in turn radius vs. a frigate of the same size made it a nice addition I have kept.
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: war n flag galleon vs treasure galleon Reply with quote

Doing some mods for a friend required me to start a fresh game which once again hooked an interceptor to start.

Off the bat I hunted down Ray and kept his war galleon. Noticed that even receiving mild to moderate damage repairs kept costing me 1800-1810 gold.

Snared a treasure galleon with cotton sails chain shot and scantlings. That works far better, even took on Monty very early on. 40 guns is just deadly. And 140 tons of cargo lets you hit several ships before heading into port. Turn radius? what turn. Speed? in combat just furl the sails 'cause it ain't moving anyway.

The only serious downside is the minimum crew is quite high. I seem to remember jlangsdo and roland figured out the actual min. crew requiremments. I would love a pointer to that post as I want to remake the opedia showing correct crew min-max again.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: war n flag galleon vs treasure galleon Reply with quote

parksbanyon wrote:
The only serious downside is the minimum crew is quite high. I seem to remember jlangsdo and roland figured out the actual min. crew requiremments. I would love a pointer to that post as I want to remake the opedia showing correct crew min-max again.

I think this is probably the thread you are thinking of:
http://www.hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6499

The relevant part of the discussion is on page 3.

Here are the crew minima from my spreadsheet, which came from Sashanan's FAQ:
Sloop 8
Sloop of War 10
Royal Sloop 12
Brigantine 12
Brig 14
Brig of War 18
Fast Galleon 16
War Galleon 20
Flag Galleon 24
Frigate 16
Large Frigate 20
Ship of the Line 24
War Canoe 6
Pinnace 6
Mail Runner 8
Coastal Barque 10
Barque 12
Ocean Barque 14
Fluyt 12
Large Fluyt 14
West Indiaman 18
Merchantman 16
Large Merchantman 20
East Indiaman 24
Trade Galleon 16
Royal Galleon 20
Treasure Galleon 24

Notes: There is no minimum crew, per se - one can sail any vessel with less than the listed minimum crew levels. But with less than the minimum sailing crew the vessel will move and turn more slowly. The sailing minimum applies to an undamaged vessel; a damaged vessel might require a larger crew. Thanks to Sashanan for the sailing minima.
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: reply to the note Reply with quote

Actually might add that info into the piratopedia. the treasure galleon is 24 get any damage it jumps to 36 and blackened hull (1 more shot and your gone) it was well over 50. Thanks Roland.
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: USeful Reply with quote

Been using the crew min to determine my back up fleet to my favorite interceptor. Seems a couple of Brigs or Brigs of War work the best all around for me. As the crew gets more mutinous a single large frigate or SOTL works if I need an alternate fighting ship.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: USeful Reply with quote

parksbanyon wrote:
Been using the crew min to determine my back up fleet to my favorite interceptor. Seems a couple of Brigs or Brigs of War work the best all around for me. As the crew gets more mutinous a single large frigate or SOTL works if I need an alternate fighting ship.

If you are going to keep two vessels, it would make sense to have two different types of vessels. A good companion to a brig of war would be a frigate. Both have the same maximum crew and cannons, so they are interchangeable in those respects. But they have different sailing characteristics, so you could use the brig when sailing against the wind and the frigate when sailing with the wind.

Back when I favored royal sloops, I would often keep a brigantine as my backup vessel. It came in handy when I was forced to attack from downwind.
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: agreed Reply with quote

I concur. Plus the brig in battle is much different than the frigate or mail runner. The frigate turns fairly wide but is deadly fast.
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14646 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: war n flag galleon vs treasure galleon Reply with quote

parksbanyon wrote:

Just the 6 years too late, but this was a great idea, I just added a "minimum crew" entry to each ship in the Pirate-o-Pedia right above "maximum crew" using the values from here, as part of both my update to the East Indies mod and my new cities 2020 mod. I can see parksbanyon did similar in his Spanish Frigates mod as well.

I wish ship info was easier to hand than the Pirate-o-Pedia, but I tend to check it to see a ship's gun capacity when I visit shore anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: