Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

(Release) Pirates: Storm over Europe
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Reserved for Game MODS Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

0 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here Pilgrim be a matching rug fur ya. Warning if used you will need to apply the Transparently background not included when making a dds.

https://ibb.co/27wR71S
themodelcitizen
Gunner

15118 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, looking good.

As a primer, Lisbon, Porto, and Casablanca are only active in the eras before 1660, when Portugal was part of the Iberian Union.

Tangier is active from 1660 onwards. Bastion de France is only active from 1600, 1620, and 1680, as it was abandoned for a while.

The rest of the cities are active in each era. Enabling all cities/all eras is a fairly easy DIY fix, let me know if you need help.

Some fun scenarios might involve taking Gibraltar for Britain, or enforcing their ancient claims over Calais and Normandy (Le Havre) - which are easy enough to resupply from Britain.

Instead you could emulate history and spread France eastward to Dunkirk (Dunkerque), or go one step further and take over the historic Basque and Catalan regions in Bilbao and Barcelona.

You could also rewrite history and bring the Spanish Netherlands in Antwerp and Dunkirk under Dutch control.
Pirate
Helmsman

112695 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you want it I won’t upload it but I made a matching tapestry that goes with the rug and fireplace. I haven’t seen what they look like in game but I think they will look just fine.
fleetp
Boatswain

37094 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate
Helmsman

112695 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting and I certainly want to try it out hopefully soon. I do prefer all cities open in all eras but that’s something I could fix in my sleep since I’ve done it so much. I’d probably do away with the University’s for my own use but I’ve already stated my opinion on that so no need explaining again. From the city descriptions in the text ini I see lots of descriptions similar to the OG game so I assume that the city strings were from the OG game with the descriptions as well. Sounds good and I’m sure you will be adding plenty of updates.
themodelcitizen
Gunner

15118 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

City strings have been moved around to try and have some more realism, not always easy but I've made it fairly close. The trade notes in text and the Pirate-o-Pedia have been swapped around in those cases to try and reflect what's actually happening.

It's complete with menu screens and everything, if I notice any visual issues or think of improvements I'll fix them, but it's ready to play.

Still toying with the idea of changing more trade goods like sugar to wool but I might take a break from modding first and actually play a bit.
Turtler
Powder Monkey

70 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone. Long time gamer and lurker, short time poster. But my compliments to all of you, it's been a process of years but you really know how to revive an old game and put new spins- and shores- on it. I and many others are in your debt.

But one quick thing I learned- especially since I recently have been playing using the GOG version, which has the files structured a bit whackily compared to what the game has normally: You don't need a separate installation of Pirates! to make this (or its kindred like East Indies) work, or to overwrite the old one.

Since I have spent a few years involved with the Panzer Corps scene, I learned about the wonders of Generic Mod Enabler (or GME), which provides a nice and convenient way to do it. This thread goes intro the nitty-gritty of how you install it and what it is (with the exception here that you'd put the application and the folder in the Pirates! main directory rather than Panzer Corps).

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=27158

This will allow you to quickly and painlessly shift from the Vanilla/Caribbean Game, to the East Indies, to Europe and then back again depending on your wishes.

Secondly: to themodelcitizen, may I suggest that rather than deactivating the Portuguese ports as a whole after Portugal regains independence, transfer them to Britain? Obviously this is far from an ideal solution but I think it's decent since it gives us the ability to go into more ports and also represents the rather close alliance England/Britain and then Portugal had in this era (nonwithstanding some colonial problems and my own depredations in the East Indies mod. : P ).
Pirate
Helmsman

112695 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only solution I know to make everybody happy with the city eras is make one executable as realistic as possible and the other with all cities enabled. I was going to mention making a patch using Pearl and let the user decide which way to go themselves but that might keep some folks from even playing it as they either can’t do it or wouldn’t want to so I think a ready made executable is the best option for most people. Adding two would be a breeze and label one executable historic and the other Open Cities or something and then the user can decide which game they prefer or can switch back in forth as people like options.
themodelcitizen
Gunner

15118 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for commenting! I'll look into some kind of mod switcher, along with the East Indies mod and the other big ones it would come in handy.

Turtler wrote:
Secondly: to themodelcitizen, may I suggest that rather than deactivating the Portuguese ports as a whole after Portugal regains independence, transfer them to Britain? Obviously this is far from an ideal solution but I think it's decent since it gives us the ability to go into more ports and also represents the rather close alliance England/Britain and then Portugal had in this era (nonwithstanding some colonial problems and my own depredations in the East Indies mod. : P ).

Portugal is a tough one, you can't actually transfer ownership that way without using another city slot. Of course if you put a lot of English cities around it, they might take it over themselves.

I could see an argument for leaving them active, I mean in the OG game Montserrat should technically be English by 1680, but they just left the French version in. I'll consider this further.
corsair91
Sailing Master

218188 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generic-Mod-Enabler

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Miscellaneous/Generic-Mod-Enabler.shtml

includes JSGME V2.6 User Guide PDF

(User Guide PDF missing from previous link)
themodelcitizen
Gunner

15118 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor fix to the caribbeanmaps (pause map), pirateinfo, and loadsave to look more like the OG game/East Indies map, with a compass, ship, navigation lines etc:

Download link updated.
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An idea for the historical cities vs people wanting lots of cities to sack -
reserve one era for all cities. "1680 - All Cities Enabled - Go Nuts"

In the OG game, does anyone really play the early eras with fewer cities?
Pirate
Helmsman

112695 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the last era. I’ve played all of them but later I opened all the cities up in every era so that part doesn’t effect me but still I usually play the 1680 era.
themodelcitizen
Gunner

15118 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I've thought about an arcade mode like that - maybe 1600 which has the same cities as 1620 anyway. I think the original 1987 or 1993 game had that (though without specifying a year)

Lisbon and Porto being available definitely helps get Raymondo out of the Med.

Has anyone been using any particular strategies? Last night I got lucky and Spain was at war with everyone so I stuck around the English Channel, a sort of Portsmouth - Rotterdam loop, and picked off Spanish shipping to and from the Spanish Netherlands (Antwerp and Dunkirk).

This let me rack up the promotions from their rivals. A couple of named pirates in the area helped even further before I set off southwest to try and find the Baron, grabbing a galleon from the Spanish Armada on the way.

Baron may have come to Antwerp on his own eventually, but I also had some buried treasure near Marseille to dig up. I thought about the long walk from the Atlantic Coast but there was a landmark just off the coast I needed to find. Then I went to bed!
fleetp
Boatswain

37094 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlangsdo wrote:
An idea for the historical cities vs people wanting lots of cities to sack -
reserve one era for all cities. "1680 - All Cities Enabled - Go Nuts"

In the OG game, does anyone really play the early eras with fewer cities?

For what it's worth, I've had the OG for quite a few years and have never played the early eras. Having fewer cities doesn't sound like much fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Reserved for Game MODS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum