Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Monty in the Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: Monty in the Tavern Reply with quote

I have played SMP 5 or 6 times recently and have some feedback for the board.
For only the second time in my SMP career, I caught Monty in the Tavern! Very rare occurrence!

In order to do this you MUST dance with a Spanish Beauty and earn the “dip” for a successful dance. Then, she must tell you Monty is in that particular city. If you dance in San Juan then she must tell you he is in San Juan. You cannot catch Monty by sailing, only by dancing.

In order to maximize your chances I highly recommend you pick Wit and Charm as your skill. This improves your dancing skills and allows you to dance with the Beauties at the rank of Colonel instead of Baron.

Then, when you make it to Colonel, go dance with the Spanish Beauties. If you really wantt to catch him, you earn a dip and she tells you he is somewhere else then re-load the game at “Arrival” and try it again.
I Am a good dancer and usually get the “dip”, work on your dancing skills!
fleetp
Boatswain

36050 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat! I've never seen Monty in the tavern.
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14635 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great. Makes sense as he "spawns" in a city when you talk to the dancer, so it might as well be the same city you're in (which naturally has to be Spanish, as you noted). I've just never seen it happen either

How was your dueling? Did you manage to beat him without reloading? Laughing
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 69 now and my reflexes are so slow that not only can I not beat Monty in his hideout at the Swashbuckler level, I can’t beat him at Rouge any more.
I now play at Adventurer or even Journeyman level. In fact I like Journeyman the most because it’s more relaxed and is easier to get fast results. You just can’t get 126 points without playing a long time.
Gun Pierson
Gunner

5053 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a bit rusty old fox? Wink

I'm just teasing, most important thing is that you enjoy the game!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is sad growing old! I wonder what level Loki played. We miss him! I can still dance at close to your level.
Captain Dave
Powder Monkey

671 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post and good tips.

I've fought Montalban in the tavern once or twice. I agree that it's very rare for him to spawn in the same city.

IIRC, Wit and Charm also has a benefit similar to the special items for dancing, in addition to the benefit of being able to dance with beautiful and attractive daughters at lower rank.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To maximize your chances, you could capture most of the Spanish cities, which would limit where Monty can spawn.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup the more you play the game the more you know. One tactic for buried treasure was to hang out around the St. Kitts area and loot ships. Stop in a port sell the loot and ships get a promotion and one piece of map then no need to look at it just go to San Juan climb on a hill and find your treasure then repeat until all treasure found.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: