Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

BPL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PiratesFan
Rigger

23509 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: BPL Reply with quote

I know many people have a high speed service such as cable or DSL and many more are still on Dial-up but how many are on BPL? That stands for Broadband Access Over Power Lines. I was a little astonished to here about it at first and the concept was rather mind boggling. The coolest feature to this concept is that instead of an "asynchronous" service where you have high-speed downloads and low speed uploads you instead get a "symmetrical" service that provides same speed uploads and downloads. To read more information on this check these links out:
http://equipped.msn.com/article.aspx?aid=4
http://www.currentgroup.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, got ADSL myself. The power broadband is cool indeed but the up/down speed differences on all the other services are (afaik) a choice by the providers themselves. They can give you the same speeds up and down but by giving you lower speeds, they try to discourage you from running servers and such. Also keeps Kazaa and friends in check (which is also a server really).
El Diablo
Cutthroat

218 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing is, that you share the speed with all other connected to the same node. That means, if many in your area are "on", the speed will go down.

But what you can also do, is to make your homeLAN over powerline.
PiratesFan
Rigger

23509 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.D. the speed going down is not necessarily true if your network managed properly with the correct equipment. I am thinking that since your carrying this signal over the Power Lines that you shouldn't experience any issues with slow times unless everyone is demanding electiricty at the time... Brownout situations.. Like any service there is always its ups and downs
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the power goes down, I don't think there's anything that affects the speed over powerlines other than people in your area using the same bandwidth. Cable providers (at least overhere) have managed to deal with this particular problem reasonably well so I see no reason why power companies wouldn't be. Like PF said, if it's managed well.

It's just a very freaky idea to Internet via powerlines and that keeps people from trying it I think. The power companies overhere have given up on it at the moment. Not sure why though.
PiratesFan
Rigger

23509 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Unless the power goes down,...

I had to quote this just because if the power goes down, unless you have an Uninteruptable Power Supply, I think your crap out of luck on getting to the internet anyways. Well there is always the laptop users with the wireless internet card and service.. The best speed I have seen on that which is reasonable is 115k... I was looking at prices of a T1 which is about USD $500 a month which is only a 1.5mbps full so being able to buy a 3mbps full for USD $39.95 a month ...sign me up Smile
Now if the cable company beats that then I will stay with them ... They said they will be testing here soon in North Carolina USA soon ... Hopefully it's near me and I can try this out first hand.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: