Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Battle or full sails during combat ??
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rook
Seaman

517 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pretty obvoius we all use the same technique by sailing under full canvas. I myself do teh same as everyone else, I just differ my stratagy a little. I'm a war ship guy, usually chasing down Morgon and taking the pink slip to his Heavy Frigate happens early on in my games. Needless to say, that is a lot of canvas that will take a beating, so I really do switch between the two sail states through out the battle. If my prey does not have chain, I worry less and tend to stay full sail. Usually however, after my second or third salvo of chain, they tend to lose the motivation to fire back. Despite my ship size, I usually wont take too much damage overall.

Rook
Managing Editor/Writer
www.hookedgamers.com
Carey Bean
Powder Monkey

276 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most other pirates, I think the answer is:
It depends.
I almost always close the enemy under full sail. But as I approach the about-to-be prize, I check whether it has chain shot or not. If not, then I don't need to worry too much about extra damage; if yes, then I do need to worry.

With a 250+ crew aboard my frigate or capacity crew aboard a sloop, I usually reef to turn, so I can keep close enough to the prize to keep grapeshotting its crew to Valhallah.
And usually, when fighting a lumbering old galley or fluyt, I need to reef to sail slow enough not to outpace the enemy.
But if the enemy does have chain shot, I try to keep off its quarter to windward, sails reefed, so I can hammer away without receiving fire myself. I just have to be careful not to pepper galleys with too much roundshot, because they tend to explode and sink, which disappoints my greedy crew.
Carey Bean,
Currently doing business as
Vincent, the one-eared Dutchman
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Billowing, Reply with quote

and luffing. I use my sails like I'd use a clutch and accelerator. There are no brakes. I fight a maneuver/fire sorta combat. I use my evasive move to approach my prey. As I swing about and set into the next evasive/approach move, I fire. (ideally)

Sometimes, however, current, wind direction (sort of prey), and how beat up you are at the point you should be delivering a coup de gras, (having such accurate gunnery that the approach is the coup de gras,) won't allow you to stick to this sort of blanketing of the enemy. But, it's what I go for, first, and if I see it's not going to work I try to come up with plan B at THAT time. To make this tactic function one must use what wind one has, and the sometimes unfriendly maneuvers of your "prey" make even that iffy. SO, I use the sails like a one-levered throttle/clutch depending on what I think I can pull-off.

Sometimes I get into the position of being chased downwind. I can pivot real fast, unload my cannon, then pivot back real fast to continue to BE chased. I can say...use chainshot with some accuracy, and each hit slows the ship down. At a point, you almost have to use furled sails so as not to race so far ahead you're out of range for chain or grape shot.

It's also helpful to any skipper to be able to approach dead into the eye of the wind and come about at such an angle and speed so as to not LOSE speed headway. Sails again.

Raising them just AS a load of chainshot is coming YOUR way can also prevent sail damage, and prolong the life of your vessel in a combat.

There's enough billowing about billowing, eh?
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I've been zipping around in a canoe today for the first time, and I must say I really like it. It's a whole new way of playing which is so much fun.

But nothing,
and that means nothing,
is worth smacking a Spanish Flag Galleon with a full 48 cannon broadside from maximum round shot range.

And you need your full sails to do that.
kipmeister
Powder Monkey

425 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just have to be carefull that your full sails don't get so damaged that you are then unable to close and board that tempting target whose crew you have severely damaged with multiple rounds of grapeshot. Like some others here, I prefer to get directly ahead or astern of the target, zigging back and forth pounding them. I've also found it advantageous to go ahead and fire a partial broadside if you are in a good position but would not be in so good a position if you waited for all guns to be loaded.

P.sS. Bring on those scurvy pirate hunters!!
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: ahem...ah hem hem hem Reply with quote

kipmeister wrote:
You just have to be carefull that your full sails don't get so damaged that you are then unable to close and board that tempting target

Precisely. From a cost/benefit point of view, you have to count up all the expense; damage to "his" ship, and yours; what's the haul minus his loss in resale value AND the cost of your repairs, because at two bucks for cannon (at best) and free food for you, anywhere from five to eight for food (per barrel) resale, managing the money is done best from an efficient predator point of view. Damage repair only gets reasonable in price when it's FREE, and that only happens under certain circumstances. SO, strike fast. Only make 'em crawl if there's not much else to do. Carrying around large sums of money makes your crew happy thinking about ONE DAY (soon?) getting a chunk of that pie...yum, yum. The best way to make it cost less is to aim well with the right ammo, then pull alongside with the right stuff. The fewer rounds fired, LITERALLY, the less damage is done.

To make it really fast, you forego the seabattle and get right to the swordfight. Even there, time is of the essence, or you'll be replacing crew even though you won. The game seems to wanna take a piece of you for everything it has to give up. Can this game be smacked into submission like a soggy Heinz 57 dog whimpering by the fireplace in MARCH?????

I'm not sure, but people with white coats and clipboards are comin' to see me real soon about "other things in life besides that stupid game." It's been so long since my sanity's been questioned, being insane has been popular that long, I need to brush up on my pat answers to those smug questions:

Q. How long have you been receiving radio messages from aliens from Andromeda?

A. Since Sunday.

Q. Did anything unUSUAL happen on SUN daaaaaaaaaay??? HMMMM?

A. You mean besides when I ate a whole chicken and danced in the middle of downtown in my underwear in the dead of winter with my face painted red and blue?????

Q. ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

A. I guess you're not a Patriots fan. Suuuum-peeple!
Swabbie

549 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I sail with full sails. I only change in battle when I have Head wind and the opponent has a smaller (faster) ship so he can outmanouver me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: