Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Fighting Withdrawal Tactic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orangebeard
Cutthroat

4436 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Fighting Withdrawal Tactic Reply with quote

After reading Give em a Broadsides story about persistent Spanish Pirate Hunters (in the Tavern; check it out). I recalled a tactic I have used with some degree of success.

Not that Orangebeard EVER retreats, but sometimes a "fighting withdrawal" keeps the hull on the ship if you know what I mean...

If you find yourself pursued by an enemy ship that is faster or in such a position that you can't risk changing direction, try heading for a coastal region. Every so often, you can get the enemy ship to run aground (particularly in areas with small islands). This can buy you enough time to deliver a crippling broadside while the enemy ship is motionless. If luck is really on your side, you might be able to sail away while they are stuck.

It's a dangerous game. If your ship is grounded and the enemy is close, there is an excellent chance you will be boarded or blasted (or blasted THEN boarded!).

Remember mateys, there is no such thing as a low-down scurvy trick when you're gold is on the line! ARRRRRGGHHH!
With nothing in sight to keep me warm!
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't yet had the necessity of running away from battle. On Rogue level I've boarded a frigate with an invasion force of 180 men with my 25 men aboard a sloop of war and still won the swordfight.

Sometimes when I lose concentration for a moment (my wife brings me a cookie or suddenly hugs me in the middle of a battle - I bet that never happened to real captains!) my enemies have managed to demast my sloop. Even in those situations, I've simply tried to board them (they are usually stupid enough to close in when your ship is crippled) and take them in the swordfight.

(ok, perhaps I should switch to Swashbuckler...)
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
Sometimes when I lose concentration for a moment (my wife brings me a cookie or suddenly hugs me in the middle of a battle - I bet that never happened to real captains!) my enemies have managed to demast my sloop.

So...., you've had that happen too. I've almost lost a couple of sword fights that way.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
I haven't yet had the necessity of running away from battle.
Use it all the time.

Dutch interceptors are coming after my Spanish Governor. I want Holland to give me more titles (soon), so I do not want to attack the Dutch Brigs, but I still want the Gov to get to town.

Engage the Dutch, and sail off into the sunset. No black marks on my record and the Brig vanishes. Repeat for any remaining Dutch. Gov gets to town and everybody is happy.

Nice way to banish a Pirate Hunter too. Even when you only have 3 crew!
danzio
Powder Monkey

137 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Striker wrote:
Wolfwood wrote:
Sometimes when I lose concentration for a moment (my wife brings me a cookie or suddenly hugs me in the middle of a battle - I bet that never happened to real captains!) my enemies have managed to demast my sloop.

So...., you've had that happen too. I've almost lost a couple of sword fights that way.

So what er you fellers doin' hangin' round them winches who are workin' fer the enemy? Don't ya' know ya' can lose a lot more than just yer ship or yer gold. Wink
Give em a Broadside!!
Powder Monkey

753 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually tried that running into the shallows tactic...accidentally. It actually worked good....and bad. We both ran aground, and as the tide turned our ships (helplessly I might add), my opponent actually got a couple broadsides off at me before I floated free. Then I was able to turn about and blast him before he reloaded.

The only drawback I can see to this tactic is if you have a larger ship, and you're being chased by a ship with a shallower draft. This would have the effect of grounding yourself, enabling your opponent to take you apart at will. So, I guess the choice here is stay out to sea if you're driving a frigate and being chased by a sloop.

I've actually been chased by a ship, and turned very closely around some shoals, hoping that the pursuer would run aground, or at the very least, take some damage. It really didn't make a difference in the long run....had to fight him anyway. But it was an opportunity to try something new.

Gar!
wheresthatparot
Powder Monkey

707 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed that the pirate hunter captains fight better if they board you instead of you boarding them? I got slivvered to ribbons last time I duelled a hunter capt'n. My stragegy was to simply turn away and let him catch and board me. I thought I'd defeat him and capture a brand new fast ship with no damage to either ship. Didn't work! Jees those prisons stink!!
I R Pirate
Powder Monkey

1116 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turn a bit one side like at a 30 degree angel with enemy ship, then quickly turn back and fire chain shots at them while turning back, some shots will hit, even tho you werent really aiming at the ship... and you dont need alot to slow down a ship
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: