Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Swashbuckler Level
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Give em a Broadside!!
Powder Monkey

753 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what!! I found out why I was losing all those sword fights! It's because I'm 39 years old and in poor health!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOOOOO, I just retired to Margarita, with lots of money and land, a nice house, and a job as a shipwright, and still a bachelor, although I still have very fond memories of the daughter of the Governor of Antigua!

SO, I have that going for me!!!

"Garrr!!! Average Joe's be the only place for Steve!!!!"
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Me too! Reply with quote

That's exactly what happened to me as well. By the time I took on Monty in his hideout or the jealous suitor of a beautiful daughter I was too old to fence well and got my butt whipped but good. After a while I could not beat the criminals in the tavern or the Annoying Captains of the Guards. Fastest guy I ever saw wat the Army commander at Havana. I sacked this city and tried to take it over but by the time my character was 39 or so he was just a blur and I had no chance. Right now I've learned how to play the game more quickly and to finish by age 36, so I'll try Swash again one of these days.

Rupert Littlebear's post above is outstanding and we should ask him to expand that post to a full-on description on how to score 126 at Swash level. I do 126 at Rogue now and am starting to write a tips sheet for intermediate players right now.
Salty Laughing
ToeJoe
Powder Monkey

1607 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About Swashbuckler level : I play it from the beginning. Just like in old Pirates! It is not an imperative to get all points, i just enjoy playing this game at highest level. Opponents are much, much smarter. Cannonbattles are more interresting, and fencing is really challenging.

I just hope that this game will evolve to massive multiplayer.

Cheers.
Kensai
Seaman

1462 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gar!!![/quote]Small tactical changes are all that is needed to fence at Swash.

1) Always take Fencing as your skill. Makes you faster.

5) If you have any difficulty now, remember you only use the Rapier! (Fencing speed is the key.)

6) You only attack while fencing! Use the 1, 7 and maybe 4. Sometimes they will fall even faster when you attack high, but usually they fall fastest with the low attacks. "Board and cut their legs off."

With Rapier, all of the fencing gear and skill in Fencing you will be the fastest swordfighter on the entire Spanish Main. (Until age creeps up on you.)

Swash Fencing is easy. Speed is the key.[/quote]

I want to share a curious experience about that.
In Swash level, I was hunting one Mr. Connery, and what happen´s into tavern?
Yeah, a stupid English officer blocking my pass to money, er... Mr. Connery.
O.k, I choosed the rapier, as ever (40 years old), and the guy put on my body more holes than I naturally have, faster than Superman!
Obiously, I felt in shame out of the window, but I felt so angry, that I come back into the tavern, trying to fight again.

And what happen? I was defeated again. Shame on me.
But I discover something very usefull, that I come back to fight all the times I want without suffering some kind of penalty into the game, is the best fencing academy I ever tried!

I fought almost 50 times the same fight, absolutelly decided to win.
I must confess, I don´t like the sword fighting in this game, they are too easy, or almost impossible to win, too much difference between levels and rivals.
The controls are awfull, the sense of timing is worst, etc, etc.

But talking about Rapiers, I discovered that THERE IS a difference between weapons in sword fights, in fact, these English officer was fighting with one of them, and I can´t win with the same weapon.
What I choose?

A slow and heavy cutlass.

And I WON.

Because when I defend (remember that "strong defence advice?) the rival stay some miliseconds completely astonished and cannot attack as faster than if I´m using another weapon.
I can push the "block" button for every attack he tries, and not pass every single cut.
Then, you need to use the bluff, because this game learn what move you do, when you press the button, and if you are old, you pressed, but you don´t start to move after a lot of milliseconds, but your oponent attacks you at lightning speed!.
So, for example, quickly push the low cut and the upper cut, and the oponent will jump waiting for the low, you can catch him flying high as a stupid butterfly.

And finally, when you are old, or have a faster oponent, wait that he moves first, don´t be "so macho" to attack him first, he always will win by speed.

Now, I can win at ever age that I want to do, and I respect more the different weapons, they really are usefull for different purposes.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Me too! Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
1) Always take Fencing as your skill. Makes you faster.

2) When you are just starting out, only attack merchant types. The Military, Pirates, Treasure Ships, and many Smugglers are just too difficult to handle for now.

3) Seek out the Attractive Daughters. Dancing yields rewards! Take the Fencing gear first. Return and give her the ring for more gear. Romance enough Attractive Daughters and you should have all the trinkets you would ever want for successful plundering.

4) Now you should be able to attack anything that sails!

5) If you have any difficulty now, remember you only use the Rapier! (Fencing speed is the key.)

6) You only attack while fencing! Use the 1, 7 and maybe 4. Sometimes they will fall even faster when you attack high, but usually they fall fastest with the low attacks. "Board and cut their legs off."

7) Get married to that Beautiful daughter while you are still young enough to flatten her suitor. He is the best fencer in the entire game.

8 ) Get Montalban next! Waiting until you are old is not going to help.

With Rapier, all of the fencing gear and skill in Fencing you will be the fastest swordfighter on the entire Spanish Main. (Until age creeps up on you.)

Swash Fencing is easy. Speed is the key.
Salty Dog wrote:
Rupert Littlebear's post above is outstanding and we should ask him to expand that post to a full-on description on how to score 126 at Swash level. I do 126 at Rogue now and am starting to write a tips sheet for intermediate players right now.
Salty Laughing

Ox expanded:

3) It only takes 4 well courted Attractive Daughters to get you set up with all the goods you could use in the game. You will have to purchase the Boots/Slippers on your own. You have no real use for the Lockpicks, Mirrors, Shrunken Head or Golden Cross.

4) The Native Villages, Pirate Dens and Settlements have precise uses. The first 2 will generate Pirate Ships as interceptors. The third may generate Pirates or Flagged Ships. Use these to your advantage. Governors love new Immigrants and Relief Governors! Nice way to climb the social ladder. Everybody European loves you for attacking a pirate ship. (That social ladder thing again.)

9) The treasures can wait until you are too feeble to fence unless you need gold NOW.

10) Save those Named Pirates until later. The more time they have to plunder themselves, the more money you will get when you finally sack them. Don't wait too long. If you cannot take out a Captain of the Guard, the Named Pirates will be just too tough. Age will creep up on you.

11) Speed is the key. A fast ship helps more than you can imagine. Learn how to sail your choice of ship to the best advantage. When you are just scooting around to pick up treasures, get rid of the rest of the fleet. It will slow you down.

12) Board? Bombard? You decide. If you can fence, why bother bombarding?

126 Fame, 750,000 Gold and 36 Years old is quite common at Swashbuckler Level.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also read the threads "Amnesty for Profit", "Jet Ski Anyone".

Get those Herbs and Salv.

Never divide the plunder unless you are retiring. Reduce the crew or get more gold instead.
VenusPrince
Powder Monkey

125 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ended it very first time after over 8 years (last time I played/ended an Amiga version)...Started in 1600 as French, Swash level of course...got 111 fame, achieved everything except one pirate treasure (got 8 of them) and few ranks in other military (marquis in english and dutch colonel...no ranks for spaniards since i hate them, French duke)...got beautiful wife, all the lost incas, mayas etc. treasures, avenged and found my family, 360000 gold, 31000 acres of land...maybe it's not that very much but I really enjoyed this game and i'm quite proud of my achievements Smile
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToeJoe wrote:
About Swashbuckler level : I play it from the beginning. Just like in old Pirates! It is not an imperative to get all points, i just enjoy playing this game at highest level. Opponents are much, much smarter. Cannonbattles are more interresting, and fencing is really challenging.

I just hope that this game will evolve to massive multiplayer.

Cheers.

I agree with what you said ToeJoe. I now play just for the fun. I get so darn frustrated looking for a lost Inca City and Maltalbons stupid hideout in the game I got running now, that I just gave up on them. I hate the map and land navigation system in this game. I can live with all the bugs but finding stuff on land is maddening........ Sad Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: