Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

An actual capture of a Frigate by a Sloop.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: An actual capture of a Frigate by a Sloop. Reply with quote

Here is an account of the capture of a Frigate by a Sloop. It seems that it actually can be done.

To the Right Honourable Lord Keith K:B:
Genereux Port Mahon
28th May 1801
My Lord,
I have the pleasure to enclose for you information a letter from Captain Lord Cochrane detailing the particulars of one of the most gallant exploits recorded in the Navy, and
have the honour to be
My lord
Your Lordships
most obedient humble servant
Manley Dixon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To
Manley Dixon Esq.
Captain of His Majesty's Ship Genereux
His Majesty's Sloop Speedy
Barcelona 6th May 1801
Cartillo Terro, North 4 miles.

I have the pleasure to inform you that the Sloop I have the honour to Command. after a mutual chase and warm action has captured a Spanish xebeck frigate of thirty two guns, 22 long twelve pounders, 8 nines and two heavy cannonades, named the Gamo, Commanded by Don Francisco de Torris, manned by 319 naval officers, seaman, supernumeraries and marines.
Although roughly handled in coming up, as we were not at the best distance to engage, the first and second broadsides were each answered by three cheers, to which succeeded a profound silence until within a few fathoms, then the topmast rigging hook'd the Gamo's lower yards.
An hour and ten minutes we continued side by side, the Speedy throwing at each discharge a quadruple load of shot, which bursting through tore all before it.
The efficacy of their measure I had much occasion to remark, at last suffering from the flash of the enemy's guns which from their height they could not sufficiently depress; annoyed by a heavy but ill directed fire of musketry, by a shower of handspikes, capstan bars and crows (new species of projectiles) and urged by the great disparity of force to adopt some measure that might prove decisive - I resolved to board, and with Lieutenant Parker, the Honourable Mr. Cochrane, the boatswain and crew boarded, when by the impetuosity of the attack and the speedy fate of the most daring to oppose, we taught the others better to appreciate His Britannic Majesty's Arms, and forced them instantly to strike their colours, such was the happy result.
I have to lament in boarding the loss of one man only, the severe wounds received by Lieutenant Parker both from musketry and by the sword, one wound received by the boatswain and one seaman.
I must be permitted to say there could not be greater regularity or more cool determined conduct shown by men than by the crew of the Speedy.
Lieutenant Parker whom I beg leave to recommend to their Lordships notice, as well as the Honourable Mr. Cochrane (when he shall have served his time in His Majesty's Navy) deserve all the approbation that can be bestowed. The exertion and good conduct of the boatswain, carpenter and petty officers. I acknowledge with pleasure as well as the assiduous, skilful, and philanthropic attention of Mr. Guthrie the surgeon, to the wounded.

I have the honour to be
Sir
Your most obedient humble servant
Cochrane

List of killed, wounded etc.
Speedy's, force at the commencement of the action officers, men and boys 54,
Killed 3, Wounded 8, Guns 14-Dismounted none
Suffered much in spars, rigging, sails and boats.

Gamo's force at the commencement of the action, officers, seaman, boys and supernumeraries 274, Marines 45, Total 319
Killed, Don Francisco de Torris the boatswain and 13 men. Wounded 41
Guns 32 Dismounted 2
Boats, spars, masts, rigging, sails and hull much cut and injured.
WaxonWaxov
Cutthroat

2424 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good!

The only thing I would suggest you think about would be the useage of parenthesis. That's an anacronysm.

Maybe...

bars and crows -new species of projectiles -
Rock
Cutthroat

7607 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post Striker! I had been wondering about this for some time.

Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where be ye proof Pirate. Arrrgh. We be needn' proof! Post yer screen shot ye scurvy dog! Arrrrrgh........ Laughing Laughing Mr. Green
Gunner

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i took out Raymundo with a war caoe!
320.9 SCAMP'S STOP
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you pay attention to the background actions in Pirates! you will occasionally see a Raider Sloop sink an Invasion Frigate.

Strangely enough, it has been quite rarely seen in my games for the Frigate to sink that pesky Sloop.

Swash. While watching the other ships go at it.
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
If you pay attention to the background actions in Pirates! you will occasionally see a Raider Sloop sink an Invasion Frigate.

Strangely enough, it has been quite rarely seen in my games for the Frigate to sink that pesky Sloop.

I've seen that happen as well. That is what inspired me to look for proof. I looked for proof of a pinnace taking out a larger ship but could not find any.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Striker wrote:
rupertlittlebear wrote:

I've seen that happen as well. That is what inspired me to look for proof. I looked for proof of a pinnace taking out a larger ship but could not find any.
It may help if you can find a Pinnace Raider.
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
Striker wrote:
rupertlittlebear wrote:

It may help if you can find a Pinnace Raider.

I think that Pinnaces where used more as long boats for large ships then they were sailed independently.
pnm967
Powder Monkey

6 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran into two fast galleons last night,took both with sloop. Use the wind, sail around the,use chain shot to disable them.
Tomi
Powder Monkey

368 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I captured Henri Morgan's large frigate with a Barque. I had to board very early though Rolling Eyes
Cagekeeper
Swabbie

1000 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was an excellent account. I got Herney Morgan's Large Frigate with a sloop myself.....He never knew what hit 'im!

Argh!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: