Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

ONE FOR THE SKINNERS!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warlock
Swabbie

2844 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: ONE FOR THE SKINNERS!! Reply with quote

I was thinking about Gunner, Cyberops, Island Jack, K-Bob and the rest of the Admiralty on this sight. I had a site of me own once and when the economics of me country improves, which right now is being "Bushwacked"; I hope to have one again. But because of this, I know the costs of just having a site and maintaining it. Not even to mention
the pleasure us powder monkies get froom your experience and hard work.

SO..... I was thinking. Why doesn't the HG Pirates Team open a real store!! Some of the trainers, the upcoming Expansion from Cyberops, The great "Skins" from Gunner should be a priveledge to download and not simply a "Right of Expectation. "
For the entertainment and pleasure I am afforded by the toil of others, I feel that we who benefit could contribute some real gold to ensure that our addictions and a place for pirates of such quality can continue with their visions for our enjoyment.

Just another thought from:

Warlock
Ps: If I left any Skinners' names out; I apologize!

I says who I am and I am who I says!!!
PrinceScamp
Gunner

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, I for one, would not pay for mods, and if I had to pay to use this site, I would be really p***ed and wouldnt come back, i would aslo be sad... but I do like your point, and your suggestion is a good one.
320.9 SCAMP'S STOP
Vulture
Gunner

606 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If money is an issue I would rather see a voluntary contibution option than a mandatory fee. It would drive off many of the participants. This open format is great and I am a firm believer in "IF IT AINT BROKE DON'T FIX IT". Must be the mechanic in me.

32 brightly polished cannons, a bottle o'rum, ahh..... a pirates life for me!
Island Jack
Seaman

4699 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, Warlock let me than you for your considering me amongst the "Admiralty" on this forum. That's a great compliment and means a lot to hear something like that. However, I am just a lowly "Seaman," and wouldn't dare to count myself amongst the lofty, let alone the great company you included me with. I'm in a class all own and no where near those guys...

I understand where you're coming from about having a "store" to buy Mods and such. It would not be all that bad of an idea if it were coming from the right place. However, I'm sure I would have been very turned off and would have steered far clear of this Forum if I saw that I had to "purchase" Mods in some way. I came here originally hunting Mods, Patches, etc. and found a place I really like visiting and being a part of. I'd have to say that not having to go through any undue effort to get Mods and such during my early days here was a huge factor in my joining the Forum in the first place.

Pretty much, the only Mod I've got up in the section is my Hawaiian shirt Mod and I didn't put it up there for gold or glory. I was happy enough that I was successful creating something and even happier that I had a medium to show my work. To my surprise, there was some interest in the Hawaiian shirt thing, so I made it available to those who asked. I've got some other foolish stuff in the works, and I'm sure I'll be posting it because at the very least, it might make someone laugh, whcih is good enough for me.

Anyway, if a "store" like you mentioned ever comes into being, sure I'd probably put whatever I had in there, but pretty much just so folks could check it out. I'd make sure everyone knew where to get it for free, though. So, not attacking you in the least, sorry if I come off that way, not my intention.

And, thanks again for the great compliment!

"Mr. Thirsty! Load guns with balls!"
Warlock
Swabbie

2844 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: The Store idea Reply with quote

Sorry mates. I was just trying to forward some thoughts. Like I said, I'm new to this and surely didn't mean to upset anyone. I do appreciate the feedback. It gives me a greater understanding of the community.

I sincerely ask you to forgive my unfamiliarity with such matters and appreciate the feedback!

Sincerely, Warlock

ps: Island Jack really appreciated your feedback and anyone who can mod( or skin)even a shirt has my respect.!

I says who I am and I am who I says!!!
Orangebeard
Cutthroat

4436 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warlock wrote:
Sorry mates. I was just trying to forward some thoughts. Like I said, I'm new to this and surely didn't mean to upset anyone. I do appreciate the feedback. It gives me a greater understanding of the community.

No apology needed! I think it's great that you touched on the idea of the real world cost of maintaing a site like this. I am looking into hosting a site myself and the cost for a quality hosting company is not trivial.

I don't think a way to make a real world donation to the people paying the bill for this site is unreasonable at all. This forum is not unlike most freeware/shareware programs; if you like it, use it, enjoy it, etc. then consider giving something back to the people who made it possible if you can...
With nothing in sight to keep me warm!
Bloody William Flint
Swabbie

207 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we already do have to buy stuff useing the gold we earn by posting if they did put a store in to buy stuff it would prolly be like shirts toys & differint pirate trinkints & what not but not mods
PiratesFan
Rigger

23509 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I will speak on behalf of the HG team Very Happy
Everything put up on this site is done by the great people that created as you mentioned above.
I am sure if they wanted to charge for it they wouldn't have put it up for download on our forum or site. The google advertisements are what help this wonderful site get funded and Falconer who created this site not have too many financial burdens. Clicking on the ads help Wink just don't go crazy cliking on them.

As for donations that might be a good idea but don't think it is necessary at this time.

I like our atmosphere here and I like the openess of the people that come here and share their hard work and let us plunder it for our own use to better enhance the gaming experience. I play with some of the mods but always end up playing it the way it was originally designed. Cause well.. old fashioned in that sense. Well except for the flag I fly which is my avatar without the stars and cutlass isle staff ... hmm probably should change that to HG team .. anyways good ideas and don't worry .. we aren't going to make you pay for other peoples hard work. Now maybe the people that created some of these mods could ask for donations but our HG team won't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: