Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Found a little helpful trick with the dancing
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Dancing Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackheart
Powder Monkey

644 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the head nod: it's definitely there, but it doesn't seem to be consistent. Last night I danced with several beautiful English daughters, and the nod was obvious and a good indicator for timing the step. But other daughters, particularly plain Spanish ones, either didn't nod or it was hard to spot. Don't know if it has to do with appearance or nationality... but when it's there, it does help.

Nod or not, I was finding it difficult to get flourishes last night. Used to be, I could get them quite consistently. I'm a musician, so I have no trouble finding the beat. The video and sound seemed to be synched up. I had just gone from Journeyman to Adventurer, and I had just bought the slippers. I thought the music would be faster and the steps more complicated, but I didn't expect to have this much trouble getting flourishes. Any other tips on the best way to encourage a flourish each time?

Oh, and... hi. I'm new here. I look forward to meeting everyone. Smile
Capt Peter Blackthorne
Cutthroat

1827 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Blackheart, and welcome!

The manual says that everything gets more difficult as you age, including dancing. Which suggests to me that the program gives you less tolerance on the timing, and the older your pirate gets, the more precisely you have to hit the mark. It probably works the same way as you advance difficulty levels--the most difficult dancing will be old pirates played at Swashbuckler level.

Whenever I find it hard to get flourishes, I experiment with slightly earlier or slightly later clicks. I figure sound and picture may appear to be in synch, but if it's off even slightly, those slim tolerances will make it near impossible to execute a flourish. Often I find that the music is slightly ahead of the picture or vice versa, but I couldn't detect it by what I see onscreen.

You might also try the double-click trick. It has to be a very FAST double click to work.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, good to meet you. Try watching the lady's center of gravity, but use your peripheral vision to watch her hands, like you'd play defense in basketball.
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airsaw wrote:
Hi, good to meet you. Try watching the lady's center of gravity, but use your peripheral vision to watch her hands, like you'd play defense in basketball.

Seems to me I've been watching the ladies' center of gravity all my life. Hasn't usually helped with my dancing, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Pizza_Peep
Cutthroat

0 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh , TheDon, stop changing your avatar!! Razz Razz
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
Airsaw wrote:

Seems to me I've been watching the ladies' center of gravity all my life. Hasn't usually helped with my dancing, though.
Have you tried any foul shots? Heh heh heh
Powder Monkey

163 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hur hur hur, like to give that one a foul shot or two! Ho ho ho.

I mean...

Hi, I'm new too!
oldman
Rigger

483 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think dacing is definitely the hardest part of the game play. I generally just keep on hitting the merchants until I got myself the boots and the slipper before I head in to dance with the "Beautiful" ones. I no longer dance with the "plain" or "attractive" ... since, those take up so much time... and without the slippers and the boots... it is hard at the rogue and up levels...

Hmm... I never noticed the head nodding... I will have to see if that is true in the S-level.
Blackheart
Powder Monkey

644 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, I never miss a chance to give a lass a whirl or two. They always seem so appreciative afterwards, even the plain ones. I won't wait for the slippers or what not. The more gifts I get from the daughters, the less of my gold goes to that mysterious stranger in the tavern. I never did trust that guy much anyway. And the sooner I get my new swords and pistols, the better I like it.

I think the beautiful daughters are the easiest to dance with. The way they move their arms and bodies makes it easier to stay in time, and to follow what they're doing. Which reminds me... it'd be nice if I got to lead once in a while!
ruf
Seaman

899 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather dance with an attractive daughter than a beautiful one. The attractive ones give you gifts, and that saves you from having to buy them from the tavern guy. So gifts (like the Spanish rutters, perfect swords, silks shirts, ect...) can cost as much as 5000 gold! Better to get them fopr free!
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ain't it hard to transfer words into motion? My word for this motion is ... I forgot! I was thinking so hard on the witty intro, I forgot the word ... it's ... ah, "fluid". Go for fluid motion. Let your movement flow with your partner's. Don't jab the button aiming for the cue. Play the numbers pad like it were a piano.

The word for today is "fluid". Ironic, that's what you sail on, too! Sailor
Cutthroat

1827 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman wrote:
I think dacing is definitely the hardest part of the game play.

I'd rather dance than have to sneak through a town. That's hard, and it takes forever.

Dancing with the beautiful daughters is the fastest way to get lost city map pieces, and as others have pointed out, it's also the best way to get special items from the attractive daughters.

It takes a lot of practice, but dancing does get easier over time, once you learn the patterns. Playing at Rogue level, it's rare for me now not to have a "Chuvan" level dance, even with the beautiful daughters.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Peter Blackthorne wrote:
I'd rather dance than have to sneak through a town. That's hard, and it takes forever.
I'd rather capture Treasure Ships than sneak through town. In fact I do.

Then for desert, I get "Amnesty for Profit" and waltz into town.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: