Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

The Tale of the Reluctant Private Investigator
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westley_Roberts
Iron Guts

10339 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: The Tale of the Reluctant Private Investigator Reply with quote

Our story begins in the dim hovel of our hero, Westley, as he looks over his outstanding list of criminals to track down.

“Arr, there are just too many to count, and I gotta sail all over this confounded Carribean just to track down these guys?” groans Westley, to no one in particular. Just then a knock sounds at the door. “Come in, it’s open.” In walks this rail thin, lanky kid with a ponytail. “What can I do for ya, sonny?”
“Umm, I don’t know if this is the right place. The nice lady at the ‘Drunken Wench’ said someone here could help me find my family.” Sputters the visitor.
Westley stops perusing the files and looks up over his files at him, “Nice Lady? You can’t mean Joilietta. How much is she charging now?”
“Charging? For what?” the kid asks.
“Nevermind, you’ll learn soon enough.. Now what’s this about a family?”
“Well, it’s a long story, but my da’ ran into a bit’o’trouble down by the ‘Boar’s Head’ , and when it came time to pay up, ‘e didn’t have the coin. So’s the guy who’s ownsthe place sent a few people to our home to collect. When da’ show’d ‘em we ‘ad nuttin’ they took everybody outta the house and burn’t down. I only learnt about it from my neighbor. She said I was lucky I was wit her and not at home, otherwise I’d be in the same lot as dem.”
Westley thinks to himself that he’s heard this story somewhere before, but can’t quite place it. He’s almost tuned out the kid, knowing that there won’t be much he can do. But continues to listen
“And I have this here locket with ever’body’s face on it. I don’t have much money, being as da’ lost it all, but I’ll pay you back. You gotta help me sir.” The kid whines.
“Well, gimme the locket, I’ll see what I can turn up, but I won’t guarantee anythin’ seeing as you ain’t givin’ me much ta go on”
“ OH, I did hear someone call out a name, Monty something, will that help?”
Westley’s eyebrows raise at the name, now he remembers…….

Have an Army Day
PrinceScamp
Gunner

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Tale of the Reluctant Private Investigator Reply with quote

Westley_Roberts wrote:

Our story begins in the dim hovel of our hero, Westley, as he looks over his outstanding list of criminals to track down.

“Arr, there are just too many to count, and I gotta sail all over this confounded Carribean just to track down these guys?” groans Westley, to no one in particular. Just then a knock sounds at the door. “Come in, it’s open.” In walks this rail thin, lanky kid with a ponytail. “What can I do for ya, sonny?”
“Umm, I don’t know if this is the right place. The nice lady at the ‘Drunken Wench’ said someone here could help me find my family.” Sputters the visitor.
Westley stops perusing the files and looks up over his files at him, “Nice Lady? You can’t mean Joilietta. How much is she charging now?”
“Charging? For what?” the kid asks.
“Nevermind, you’ll learn soon enough.. Now what’s this about a family?”
“Well, it’s a long story, but my da’ ran into a bit’o’trouble down by the ‘Boar’s Head’ , and when it came time to pay up, ‘e didn’t have the coin. So’s the guy who’s ownsthe place sent a few people to our home to collect. When da’ show’d ‘em we ‘ad nuttin’ they took everybody outta the house and burn’t down. I only learnt about it from my neighbor. She said I was lucky I was wit her and not at home, otherwise I’d be in the same lot as dem.”
Westley thinks to himself that he’s heard this story somewhere before, but can’t quite place it. He’s almost tuned out the kid, knowing that there won’t be much he can do. But continues to listen
“And I have this here locket with ever’body’s face on it. I don’t have much money, being as da’ lost it all, but I’ll pay you back. You gotta help me sir.” The kid whines.
“Well, gimme the locket, I’ll see what I can turn up, but I won’t guarantee anythin’ seeing as you ain’t givin’ me much ta go on”
“ OH, I did hear someone call out a name, Monty something, will that help?”
Westley’s eyebrows raise at the name, now he remembers…….

dude, no wonder there arent many actives here,... two many new posts, but... i dol ike it Twisted Evil

Please donate to the Fortified Estate Foundation. Your donation (of over 30 gold) will get you a FREE pair of dice! So what are you waiting for? donate today! Or else the Dragon Inquistion will stop by for an, 'excersize', session.
Westley_Roberts
Iron Guts

10339 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Chapter 2 Reply with quote

Hmm, this Monty fellow continues to be a thorn in my side. I should just end his life once and for all, for all the trouble he causes. thinks our hero. He always had a piece of a map for me, never the whole thing, no, just a shred. I think he knows, were he to give me all of it at once, I’d run him through. Disgusted, our hero accepts the challenge set before him, and takes the locket. The kid dashes out the office with a wave and a quick “Thanks.”
Westley gets out of his chair, leaving all the warrants on the desk, and saunters out, clearly headed to where he would most likely get information, the Govn’rs Mansion. Now, he knows the Govn’r won’t have anything to offer, other than maybe a promotion, or a spot of land outside town. But his daughter, she’s a different story altogether. He recalls the last time they met…

“Westley my dear, would you care to join me at the ball?” asked the plain Govn’rs daughter. Westley, not being whelped yesterday, knows what options he has, and what she is will to give him if he acquiesces. So, off they go. The music begins, and they are centered in the room, facing one another, dipping to the beat of the concertina. As the band plays, the daughter points the way for Westley to move, for the simple fact that these dances are different each time. He must match her move for move, otherwise she will not only, not give him what he wants, but also snub him at the end of the song, refusing even a kiss to her hand. On top of it all, she insults him in front of the Govn’r telling him to take more lessons. Of all the nerve!
So, with a practiced eye, he waits for her signal, she waves him left, he moves left, she waves him right, he sashays right. This continues for a time. Sometimes he is able to match her moves so well, they do a turn, and she is so enamored, she giggles a time or two. She is smitten, aren’t they all, but he stays on the floor. Finally, the music stops, he reaches for her outstretched hand, and bows to kiss it. She allows this, and meets him again in the Govn’rs office. She whispers in his ear that she knows where the Evil Spaniard Montalban is hiding “He is in Maricaibo right now.” He takes this bit of information, and runs with it. Back to his office, he looks over his map, and notes where the port town is, and calculates the time needed to reach the far flung port. Gathering his items, a telescope, a leather vest, and his one shot pistol, he heads to the docks.
On the docks, he checks with the Sailing master, and ensures his Sloop is repaired, and fitted with any upgrades that he might have available. Noticing that he has already purchased Bronze cannons before, there is nothing else holding him back. So, he sets sail for Maricaibo……

Have an Army Day
Westley_Roberts
Iron Guts

10339 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After leaving, he encounters a squall that showed up out of nowhere. He gratefully looks to his Navigator and sees that they are running forward of the wind. Given the timeline of the information, he may just catch this guy, no muss, no fuss. As the storm dies, so does the wind. They are forced to tack, and attempt to stay the course, if only to maintain schedule. Westley checks his location, and notes he is just North of Curacao.
“Sails, Cap’n!!” the lookout yells. “What do you make of them?” Westley answers back. “Two ships,” comes the reply “I make one to be the notorious Bart Roberts. Seems he’s found a hunter!” With this information our Cap’n grumbles and with a shake of his head utters “Damn, he’s on my list, and someone else is trying to poach him? Run up the Flag! Set sail to full, and get in between them.”
The startled crew begins to follow the orders, with a low murmur about getting in the middle of a fight with this old sloop. The Captian’s Colors are run up the main mast, the sails are adjusted to make an interception run. The crew stands ready, and wonders if the Hunter will back off the fight.
“Ahoy there Hunter!” Westley yells over the cannon fire, “Stand down, this is my bounty!” The expected response is not forthcoming, yet a response is made. Suddenly the Hunter lets fly a flurry of Chain-shot towards the lesser gunned Sloop. Laughter sounds over the waves. The battle is joined.
Westley maneuvers his Sloop into the fray, firing from both sides, a spray of Chain-shot, meant to slow down the battle. While the crew reloads, and the Hunter is reloading himself, Bart seeks to end this, using the distraction of Westley’s arrival. Quickly, and without any prior arrangement, both Bart and Westley close distance to one another, both meaning to board the other. A thunderous crash shakes both ships as they come together, bow to bow. Without thought, both Captains turn hard to port, and the ships continue to emit a loud scream as they slide past another.
Grappleing hooks from both crews are flung, locking the ships together, the fire fight is ended. Now it begins in earnest, as the sailors lock blades, and the Captains square off. Both know this must end quickly, for lashed together as they are, the Hunter will continue to fire and damage, if not destroy, both ships. The duel is furious, but Bart is no match for the highly trained Investigator. It is over as fast as it had begun. Bart is on his knees, in supplication, knowing his piratical days are over. He visibly relaxes, knowing that Westley takes prisoners, unlike other Hunters.

Have an Army Day
Westley_Roberts
Iron Guts

10339 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The duel is finished, the victors are jubilant, and all who would stand with Westley spread over both ships, disentangling them, for the fight is not over yet. There is yet a Hunter there, still harassing both ships, unaware of who has won. To keep the Hunter clueless, it is made known to keep Bart’s colors flying.
Westley turns the Sloop toward the Hunter’s Brig and lets loose a flurry of Grapeshot. Half the crew of the Hunter is decimated, some bleeding on deck, some bleeding in the water. Either way, the Hunter has realized, too late, that he is beaten. He orders his crew to sail to the sun, and prays he can lose this new attacker. The earlier shots of Chain has damaged his sails to the point that the Sloop runs behind, tacking side to side, but not losing pace. Each turn ends with a resounding explosion of Grapeshot. For Westley is furious with the Hunter, and means to make her pay before sending her down. The crew of the Hunter is diminished, the white flag is run up. It is of no use. The cannon fire from the Sloop is now Chain-shot, and the Hunter’s sails are being ripped to shreds. A well placed shot removes the mast, and all is quiet. The Brig is now at the mercy of the sea. With a parting shot, Westley lets loose a full sweep of Iron Cannonballs. These are meant to rake the gunwales and split the Brig top to bottom. The effect is breathtaking, for one of the cannonballs has found the powder room. With the sun at their backs, the crew of the Sloop watch as the Brig takes on water during a fantastic explosion. The heat crashes over them like a tidal wave. Moments later there is no sign that a ship was there, less the bits of broken boards and barrels bobbing on the surface.
Westley instructs his Navigator to make for Curacao, so he can rid himself of the prize from Bart. Along with Bart Roberts, for his capture will surely make him look good in the eyes of all the Govn’rs. Another of the most notorious Pirates careers has come to an end.

Have an Army Day
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Circle of Pirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: