Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

The Royal Sloop
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you hesitate changin' a RS to SOL? (for those who did)
I don't like that stupid RS!
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
Aye!
75%
 75%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 20

TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing I have never liked about any of the sloops is how they virtually STOP when you turn into the wind... especially in a sea battle. Not so with the Brig o' War. That sucker keeps right on going and turning fast to avoid the enemy cannon fire. I'll take a BoW over a Royal Sloop any day. Ideally, I like to sail 4 ships... a SOTL (or Large Frigate), an East Indiaman, a BoW, and a war canoe (or mail runner).

A sloop is a fine vessel if you're taking the ladies out for a spin and want to show them some speed while they catch some rays on the deck. If you're going to war, though, you need a warboat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cp. Kain
Gunner

4815 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Juggernaut deluxe? Sailin' a SOL, being a MENACE to everyone...This is fun. But the Brig...Dunno...Not my style...It takes time to get used to brigs.
- Me be playin' the war canoe game now. Be poundin'n'boardin'. No guns...Tremendous turnin' rate...Like a jet-ski Twisted Evil

Perhaps on the rare occasion pursuing the right course demands an act of Rock'n'Roll, Rock'n'Roll itself can be the right course?
SlipperyJim
Cutthroat

2045 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cussler wrote:
Hey, it happens. Literally after thousands of sea battles the odds will eventually catch up. One lapse in judgment. One wrong turn, and boom! Your sloops is a hulk.

That's actually why I like the Royal Sloop. Add some Iron Scantlings, and the ship can actually take a hit or two. And she's still nimble enough to dodge well.

Mail Runners & War Canoes? Now you're throwin' the dice with every sea combat. Sure, my Mail Runner dodges very well. 19 out of every 20 (or so) sea battles, I'll put a broadside into my target and board without taking a single cannonball.

And then the wind changes, leaving me stranded under the guns of an irate War Galleon. Boom! At that point, I just steer straight toward my target and hope to board before I sink....

What? Oh, NOW I get it....
Cussler
Cutthroat

2686 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the Royal Sloop is a very fine ship, no doubt about it.

Most of my gripes are about the Sloop in the original game. I think most everyone who played the original used only Sloops, and when they weren't available, used Barques. It was just nice to try something new.

And I do want to start a new game with a Royal Sloop as my main terrorizer again.

Just for grins and giggles, here are the stats for the Sloop in my Pirates! GOLD game for the Genesis:

Best Speed : 9 Leagues (light winds) / 10 Leagues (heavy winds)

Best Point of Sailing: Broad, Broad Beam Reach

Max Cannons: 12

Max Crew: 96 (no Triple Hammocks back then. Sad )

Cargo: 40 tonnes

-Shallow Draft vessel.
kvollmer
Cutthroat

6103 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Style of play Reply with quote

I have to agree with the above a BoW is really tempting. She can turn and sail just slightly slower then a sloop but carries hundred or so more men. (What is it 300 with hammocks?) and also carries about 12 more cannons. She's probably better if you want to have a sea battle at long range then the sloop. However I tend to shy towards the Royal Sloop because that little bit of extra speed and turning capability help her board vessals without taking hits. Not taking hits with your flagship keeps you out of port longer and out plundering lounger. Although I do agree the sloop is terrible when turning into the wind. However a skilled sloop captain takes the wind into account at all times and can usually avoid this pretty well. But if you do make a mistake thats what you've got Iron Scantlings for. Besides I'm amazed at the amount of punishment my sloops have taken in the past and still kept on floating. SOTL is nice though cause it has the gross tendancy of scaring the crap out of everything you encounter. Plus its pretty staisfying to unleash 48 cannon balls into the side of that stupid War Galleon pirate hunter.

Kirk Vollmer
Don't ever call me Captain Kirk.
Valparaiso University Alumni; Class of 2004
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: