Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

what about the gulf?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Orienteering Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caster89
Seaman

1579 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
rupertlittlebear wrote:
Um
err
Pirates was designed
to never be modded
in any way shape or form
this directly implies
the absolute desire
for NO later development.

It was designed never to be modded by us amateurs for fun. But there are elements of the game that are undeveloped in its current state. Why are they in the game at all if not to allow for later expansion?

Some of these are even documented - most obviously, relations with Jesuits, Indians, and Pirates. The captain's log shows Pirate flags, and the strangers sell four items that supposedly improve relations with Indians and Jesuits. These elements could have been removed from the game quite easily. There are also graphics files that are not used in the game - further evidence of undeveloped potential in the game. The northern part of the gulf is one more element that was included in the game but not used.

We even know that one game designer who favors pirate games was working on an expansion and talked with Sid about it before Firaxis slapped him down. It would appear that he disagrees with you regarding the potential for expansion of Pirates!.

i always wondered what the relevance of having tihngs that improved your relations with the jesuits, and indians, if they already liked you Cool
RobbyL9
Seaman

2916 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I noticed something. If you had all the Indian relation items, or even just one I think, if you asked the Indians to sack a port they would send three war canoes instead of just one. It might be the answer, it might not. Just throwing it out.
caster89
Seaman

1579 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobbyL9 wrote:
Actually, I noticed something. If you had all the Indian relation items, or even just one I think, if you asked the Indians to sack a port they would send three war canoes instead of just one. It might be the answer, it might not. Just throwing it out.

ooh i hadnt considered that, but then what does the jesuit items do?
but yeah, i didnt notice that about the indians
SlipperyJim
Cutthroat

2045 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jesuit items and the Native items have absolutely no impact on the game. The developers were planning to track the Jesuits' and Natives' relationship with the player, and those items would have been very helpful in maintaining a good relationship. However, this feature was left out of the final game.

They do nothing. But they look cool, so you might as well buy them anyway.

What? Oh, NOW I get it....
caster89
Seaman

1579 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlipperyJim wrote:
The Jesuit items and the Native items have absolutely no impact on the game. The developers were planning to track the Jesuits' and Natives' relationship with the player, and those items would have been very helpful in maintaining a good relationship. However, this feature was left out of the final game.

They do nothing. But they look cool, so you might as well buy them anyway.

HAHA, yeah if nothing else
plus they count towards your special items to gain rank in the top ten
sk8erkillinu
Swabbie

838 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: what about the gulf? Reply with quote

[quote="caster89"]ive played pirates on the PC for A LOOONG time
and ive played MANY games
but i have never seen anything up in the gulf states
in present day louisiana, texas, alabama, nothing
but when i bought it for the PsP(GREAT GAME FOR PSP BTW)
after a while i looked up, and lo and behold there is a pirate haven named "sydneystown" in present day louisiana
i was overjoyed for 3 reasons
1)ive NEVER seen anything up there
2)im from louisiana Wink
3)its called "sydneystown" after the legendary captain sydney of the pirates! game, no doubt

Pirate havens move around when every you start a new game. There has probably been a pirate haven on the Pacific side of Panama.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: