Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Taking over Towns?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azazel
Powder Monkey

72 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Taking over Towns? Reply with quote

I just got the LE version of the game today, well, 6 hours ago (released on 2nd Dec here in Aust) and while I have had great fun so far reliving old memories on the default level, I've found that I can't change the nationalities of the governors..

I've only properly sacked one town so far, but it did not give me any option to do so, and the smaller towns I can just walk into.. and trade.

I am using a no-cd patch at the moment, as I have placed the original DVD into a DVD case and put it away safely, could this be an issue? (whats the deal with a paper slipcase for a brand-new, full-price game, anyway?)

thanks,

Azazel
Sen-Dog
Powder Monkey

459 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the margin of victory. This issue has been addressed and answered already in many other threads/posts, use the search function! Very Happy
SciPionX
Powder Monkey

162 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that if I have an overwhelming force, and kill off all the defenders they give you the option to change the nationality. If it is only a norrow victory for you, then the govenor will not change. Make sure that you kill all the defenders in the battle, and you should be able to put a new govenor in.
dread pirate roberts
Powder Monkey

1110 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit the same city right away again, not only will you get more gold, but you have a high percent chance of taking the town. I have only failed to capture a town after a second hit once.
jerkwater
Powder Monkey

209 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even in the original version, you couldn't change the governer each time you sacked a town (if memory serves). In fact, I find that the new version allows you to change the governer much more frequently than the old one did.
dread pirate roberts
Powder Monkey

1110 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The old version it was much more difficult to change a town. In fact I only captured Panama 1 time and Cartahegna two or three times. The time I knocked off Panama I had somewhere near 1400 or 1500 men against their 700 to 800. I got lucky that they didnt have their normal 800-1000 at the time. I have yet to try these two cities in this version because I can't amass the total number of troops in this one as in the old version.
troschan
Powder Monkey

708 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really quite often that you can change the nationality if you attack right again after a victory about a town...
I think i always had the chance then to change the nationality Wink
Its quite fun for establishing your supporters nation in a town on th spanish main and then always sail there for the promotions and so on Wink

Greetings from Köln,
Tim
N328KF
Swabbie

314 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ease with which you can take over a town is sort of frustrating. Hopefully they'll fix that...as to close off the "take over a town 32x in one year' exploit for full promotions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: