Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Unusual screenshots
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Blue
Rigger

69003 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always more sharks ashore than in the sea.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Blue wrote:
There's always more sharks ashore than in the sea.

I guess that's called evolution - throw the Gills - and grow Lungs Smile
Black Falcon
Swabbie

375 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have a question. A couple days ago, I installed Pirates! on my older sister's computer (my younger sister isn't into Pirates but I'll keep trying Smile ) and I noticed something strange with her game. During the battles (for example) you see crewmen on (both) ships! When damages are done to a ship, you can see the busted boards on the hull! When you cause enough damage to them, the masts actually break and fall over! Very cool! Wink Mine doesn't do this. Sad

I found this out during the trainer, to show her how the NEW controls work (it's one thing to read about it, but better to actually SEE it). She had bought me my game (@ 4 or 5 christmas-es ago. She then decided to buy a copy for herself, since we both loved Pirates! but during collage got busy and forgot about it.

We both veterans, having played the classic Pirates! so much, we kill the floppy. Crying or Very sad

My question is:

Is there more than one version of the 2005 game?

The computer is a Gateway zx4951 with Intel Core3 and Win7. Though I doubt that would be it, mine has Win XP (personal ver).

I'll see about screenshots in a next few days, since Christmas is here and so is the family. Very Happy Happy Holidays! Very Happy
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps your sister's video settings are set differently than yours. There are several diffrerent slider bars and a few check boxes in that menu. I have not tinkered with them a lot, but some of them look like they could significantly affect your video experience.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
Perhaps your sister's video settings are set differently than yours. There are several diffrerent slider bars and a few check boxes in that menu. I have not tinkered with them a lot, but some of them look like they could significantly affect your video experience.

Yes - could be a setting to help speed things up for an older PC...
Big Dog Barque
Powder Monkey

124 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Falcon wrote:
...and I noticed something strange with her game. During the battles (for example) you see crewmen on (both) ships! When damages are done to a ship, you can see the busted boards on the hull! When you cause enough damage to them, the masts actually break and fall over! Very cool! Wink

I'll see about screenshots in a next few days,...

I can't wait to see those. Wink
I remember the classic Pirates game! "Oldie but Goodie" type of game now. Now it seems more like Pirates! only has gotten better since the original, like a fine wine. Smile
Anyway, I only know of one version of the 2005 game. Wink
Mr. Blue
Rigger

69003 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! It's a sad sad story ...

One day I was chatting up a governor's daughter, hoping she would give me something really useful this time, like instructions on how to get my (expletive deleted) crew to stop playing the (expletive deleted) 3 -stringed fiddle and concertina she gave me.

Well, she was interested in sailor's language, and it went fine, so long as she was askin' what the difference is between port and starbord, but then she asked something a little unfortunate.

"So Captain, if you were making a land attack and some of your men could not keep up, how would hail them?"

"Maam, I would shout, "Arrr! Avast behind!"

Well, how was I supposed to know that she is sensitive about the size of her, ahem, vast behind? She thought I was making a personal remark, ya know.

Well, the governor sees I've upset his daughter and decides to put his oar in.

"Young man, are you mocking my daughter?"

Well, I tries to explain that I'm just an ordinary pirate lookin' for lots of treasure, but it's no use.

"Sir, I am just a simple sailor who loves a vast amount of booty."

Well, they completely misunderstood, and the daughter had a major meltdown. I have to say that, under the circumstances, the daughter's reaction was quite understandable. If I had been her, I'd have done the same.

But as for that governor, what a(expletive deleted) vindictive brute!

Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see if I can figure out in what city you are imprisoned in order to mount a rescue operation. That daughter would be found in an even-numbered city, and the governor in a city that is a multiple of three. The Spanish cities that meet those criteria are . . . Cumana, Rio de la Hacha, St. Augustine, and Vera Cruz. So I'll visit the cities in that order and hope I find you in one of the first three. If you're in Vera Cruz I'm sure his lordship's wrath will abate long before I could reach you.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

69003 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rio de la Hancha.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
Let's see if I can figure out in what city you are imprisoned in order to mount a rescue operation. That daughter would be found in an even-numbered city, and the governor in a city that is a multiple of three. The Spanish cities that meet those criteria are . . . Cumana, Rio de la Hacha, St. Augustine, and Vera Cruz. So I'll visit the cities in that order and hope I find you in one of the first three. If you're in Vera Cruz I'm sure his lordship's wrath will abate long before I could reach you.

That was impressive!

Please do not tell me how you did that.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
That was impressive!

In his efforts to figure out how the game works, jlangsdo found that underlying many elements of SMP is a numbered list of cities that is approximately alphabetical, from Antigua (0) to Villa Hermosa (43). I found that for each nation there are three governor models, which repeat in a cycle of three as you go down the list. Likewise, for each nation and beauty level, there are two daughters, which alternate between odd- and even-numbered cities. Therefore, knowing the appearance of the governor and the daughter allows you to narrow the list of possible cities down to one-sixth of the cities on the map. I made the further assumption that the city was originally Spanish, rather than captured by Spain, which narrowed down the options further.

You can review the original posts that introduce these elements of the game's structure here:

http://www.hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6491
http://www.hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6532
http://www.hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6548
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:

Oops. I somehow missed the "do not" . . .
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No harm done.

I didn't read it, because I scrolled to the bottom first, and saw your second reply. Looking into the code of a game tends to impair my immersion, and enjoyment.

I do really appreciate how you take the trouble to answer my questions here, Roland. Thanks for your effort!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29
Page 29 of 29

Jump to: