Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Cities and Wealth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Cities and Wealth Reply with quote

Pirates tells us a city's wealth level on three different scales:

1. If you click on a city on the map, it tells you the city's wealth on a four-point scale: Poor, Modest, Prosperous, Wealthy.

2. If you actually enter a city, you find wealth expressed in five categories. From poorest to richest, they are:
- quiet and desolate
- baking in the sun
- bustling with activity
- clean and prosperous
- brimming with wealth

3. Wealth is one of the three factors in determing a city's "type". If a city is designated as a capital, town, trading post, or village, it is rich. If a city is designated as a port, colony, stronghold, or outpost, it is poor.

In his research on the savegame file, jlangsdo discovered a scale of 0-199 that underlies these wealth ratings. If all three wealth ratings were spread evenly across this scale, it would look like this:

Code:
Poor Quiet    Poor         0-39
Poor Baking   Poor        40-49
Poor Baking   Modest      50-79
Poor Bustling Modest      80-99
Rich Bustling Prosperous 100-119
Rich Clean    Prosperous 120-149
Rich Clean    Wealthy    150-159
Rich Brimming Wealthy    160-199

jlangsdo has confirmed the breakpoints of 39, 79, 119, and 159 for the "baking in the sun" rating. However, there is one glitch that contradicts the nice, orderly arrangement I have laid out here: I have seen ports and colonies ("poor" types of cities) that are rated as bustling and prosperous. So it would appear that the poor/rich breakpoint is not the same as the modest/prosperous breakpoint.

I made a circuit of the whole map (including Gran Granada) in three saved games and recorded what I found. If a city changed status in any important way, I recorded it both the before and after. Here is my tally:

Quiet Poor 24
Baking Poor 7
Baking Modest 17
Bustling Modest 17
Bustling Prosperous 21
Clean Prosperous 26
Clean Wealthy 7
Brimming Wealthy 19

As expected, all quiet cities were poor, all brimming cities were wealthy, and relatively few cities were baking-poor or clean-wealthy. The biggest surprise was that 34% of the cities in my sample were prosperous. This suggests that the wealth levels might not be evenly distributed across the 0-199 scale (though my sample is too small to state that conclusively).
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Dutch city images Reply with quote

When you enter a city, you see an aerial view of that city. For each nation, there are two possible city views. If the city is poor (on the poor-modest-prosperous-wealthy scale), you see the city on a dark, cloudy day. If the city is modest, prosperous, or wealthy, you see the city on a bright day, with rays streaming through the clouds. Here are the Dutch city views to serve as an example:

The settlement view, by contrast, does not vary by wealth level.
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the dds files for the backgrounds - rich, poor, and settlement for each country, as you noted:

tm_d_settlement.dds
tm_d_townback_poor.dds
tm_d_townback_rich.dds
tm_e_settlement.dds
tm_e_townback_poor.dds
tm_e_townback_rich.dds
tm_f_settlement.dds
tm_f_townback_poor.dds
tm_f_townback_rich.dds
tm_s_settlement.dds
tm_s_townback_poor.dds
tm_s_townback_rich.dds
tm_p_townback.dds

mission_back.dds
native_back.dds
Matelot
Powder Monkey

50 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a mini-bump, but I'd just like to say thanks to jlangsdo and Roland for all this information. I've found these threads on the game mechanics really helpful. I was baffled, for example, on why you never saw the alternate Dutch daughter types spawn at the beginning of the game. Would never have suspected it was down to each city having a number and all that.

You should really collate all this information together at some point.
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: A second to that Reply with quote

Matelot wrote:
Bit of a mini-bump, but I'd just like to say thanks to jlangsdo and Roland for all this information. I've found these threads on the game mechanics really helpful. I was baffled, for example, on why you never saw the alternate Dutch daughter types spawn at the beginning of the game. Would never have suspected it was down to each city having a number and all that.

You should really collate all this information together at some point.

Smile I'd also like to thank Jlangsdo,dogcigar,roland for the ton of information. If jlangsdo wasn't still active and working to improve the game (east indies mod, treasure map coder, and info) I probably would play it a bit then set it aside. As it is I'm trying to think of new a different ways to "kep it freash"
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: