Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Can't install pirates!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristophski
Powder Monkey

133 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Can't install pirates!! Reply with quote

This isn't the first forum i've tried... so don't wory if you can't help me solve it.

I bought Pirates a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, the only judgement I can give on it so far is that, judging from the manual, it looks really good.

The problem is this:

Whilst installing the game, an error is always encountered about half way through the install (but before disk 2 is required).

Apparently there is a corrupted .cab file (Progra~1.cab). After testing, this file does indeed seem to be corrupt.

I've checked a load of internet forums and browsed through the first 7 pages of around 10 relevant google searches. All I have discovered is that I am by no means alone: many other people report this same problem - and some have solved it. Unfortunately, all they say at the end of these threads is just that: "I solved it. it's great." No-one ever looks at that post again, and so no-one knows how to solve it

I have tried every trick in the book, but feel free to bombard me with any ideas you have, however obvious.

I was wondering if any of you beautiful people have had/heard of the same problem? I've sent a couple of emails to the helpline, but, as typical of all helplines, no reply.

If I don't solve it soon, i'll just have to take it back to the shop on saturday - help would be apprieciated.
BlueDEvil
Seaman

818 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try installing by disable the autorun. Click on the setup file and install from there on. Some cd-drives might accidentally trigger autorun while installation.
Kristophski
Powder Monkey

133 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried it - i've tried most things.

My research concludes that ther were one or two faulty batches of the game which don't work on some computers/operating systems, etc. I'm taking it back to the shop tomorrow and buying a copy elsewere - I'll tell you what happens when I get the new copy.
Sonicsfan
Cutthroat

1729 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the store then,something wtong with the game itself
Kristophski
Powder Monkey

133 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going into town to exchange it later today - i'll tell you if it works
Microwavegerbil
Seaman

3502 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it quick before the store's return policy runs out. Atari is the absolute WORST when it comes to accepting returns. I had a fiasco with Neverwinter Nights in which they admitted that the CDs had been improperly manufactured but still refused to exchange it for me.

Hehe, they're not really even Atari, it's Infogrames who just bought the license to go under that name because it had a good reputation.
Kristophski
Powder Monkey

133 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I exchanged it... it didn't work.

I managed to install it however... I decided not to try and run it of my current, new 52X CD-rom drive, and tried a 6-year old 4X one... and it worked. weird.

And no, before anyone askes, my CD rom dirve is just a normal one, not a CDR, not a DVD rom drive, etc...
Billy Bones
Seaman

1817 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristophski, just curious, did you try checking to see if your system had the latest BIOS patch, CD-ROM drive patch, etc?

What make/model CD-ROM drive do you have? I am wondering if there is a correlation here, with other people having problems.
BlueDEvil
Seaman

818 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if trying to bring down the cdrom speed can help. I find this type of problem always occur to those above 50 speed.
Kristophski
Powder Monkey

133 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CD rom drivers, bios patches etc are all up to date, as are all windows updates, etc.

I'm afraid I can't find outmy CD rom drive make without taking it out of the machine - and i'm a bit busy tracking a spanish treasure galleon for that now Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: