Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

New
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butcher
Swabbie

335 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: New Reply with quote

Hello I am new here, I saw this site advertised on the civilization site. I first played pirates on the amiga, then pirates gold on PC. Now it doesnt work on my new PC, so I play pirates gold on the genesis until pirates 2 comes out! hurrah!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Butch,

Ah, the Genesis version, that was a good one!

In any case, if all goes well, 7 months from now you can retire your Genesis version. Smile (though I expect most of us will still grab back to the old version occasionally)
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that all depends on how good Pirates 2 is. I know I keep playing Civ2 more than I play Civ 3, but a new Pirates should be much better to play than the 1987 version.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, sometimes a prequel is better, or at least more entertaining. I love Civ3 but occasionally I wipe the dust of Civ1 for Windows and play that for a couple of games. In fact, I'm about to install Colonization and lose myself in that for the weekend. Smile
Butcher
Swabbie

335 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

col is a great game!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that among this forum, the phrases 'Sid Meier' and 'Microprose' go hand in hand with the term 'Quality'.

To be honest, at one stage in my computer life, Microprose (and particularly those with Sids name on it) games were the only ones that I would purchase. It seems I was not alone.

Really loved Colonization too.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, for a long time that was true. Such an incredible amount of quality titles came from their hands or were published by them. I remember buying a game once, not even realising it was a Microprose game, and then starting it, seeing their logo and thinking "Oh cool, I'm in for a treat!".

Sid has never put his name on anything less than quality and people remember that. I mean, I even enjoyed Sid Meier's Sim Golf and I hate that sport! hehe... (don't think it sold that well though)

And yep, Col is great. Silently hoping for a sequel on that one too although it will need some serious changes. Less subtle than Civ 3 for instance. The concept is great though. Smile
Capt-JakBlak
Swabbie

193 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid's way of making games is what, IMO, makes him so great and his games so fun to play. He's all about gameplay in a day and age of big budget graphics and new technology. Most developers are only interested in what the player can see and totally miss the reason why we come back to games like Pirates! and Civ. I'm a little nervous about Pirates! 2 using such a glitsy engine, Gamebryo, but as long as they stick to his philosophy they shouldn't have a problem.
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's certainly a big move for them, going from 2D to such a heavy 3D graphics game. I'm not too worried though. Rather they'd use an existing engine than having to learn to create a 3D game AND create the engine for it.

If you look at some of the examples I wrote about in The Game article, you'll see that Gamebryo's engine can go many ways when it comes to looks and ambiance. Plenty of room in there for a pirates themed game if you ask me. Smile
Capt-JakBlak
Swabbie

193 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so worried about them being able to make the Gamebryo engine look Pirate'y. I'm more worried about how Firaxis' inside development is compared to Sid's development when he first wrote Pirates!. It's easy to run out of time because you spent it all on AI, graphics, models, physics, etc. and forget about making the game fun and interesting to play. I'm scared that Atari might push them to a release date, which might throw their development off. I'm scared that the glamor of Gamebryo will go to their heads and gameplay will, again, suffer because of it. And lastly, I'm scared I won't be able to wait till Winter and get myself arrested trying to sneak into Firaxis' headquarters...
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: