Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Mod Idea (Ship Yards)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saranis
Swabbie

437 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Mod Idea (Ship Yards) Reply with quote

I dont know if this can be done or not but I thought it would be cool. In the Capitals it would be cool to have shipyards. I dont mean places to repair ships (although you could do that here) but a place to BUY ships.

Each Nationality could have different ships associated with it so maybe the;
Spanish could have:
Sloops for 75,000 gold,
War Galleons for 125,000,
Ship of the Lines for 500,000;

English could have:
Brigs for 90,000,
Fast Galleons for 150,000,
Mail Runners for 450,000;

French could have:
Pinnaces for 35,000,
Trade Galleons for 50,000,
Treasure Galleons for 70,000,
Large Frigates for 350,000;

Dutch coule have:
Brigantines for 80,000
Royal Sloops for 135,000
Flag Galleons for 250,000.

Like I said, I dont know if this is a possability but I do think it would be a cool thing to add. It would add much more of a challenge to the game to be able to buy some ships you want but cant find.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would ever buy a Galleon?

Am always surprised at the price I get when selling them. Great big tubs. Raymondo's Cotton Sails and Copper Plating gets his Galleon all the way up to Tub. Once a Galleon always a Tub.

Just kidding . . . NOT
droid002
Powder Monkey

42 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great idea.

I "miss" the limitations of ammo. It´s far to easy with unlimited ammo. (see Tortuga Pirate Hunter).
bigchief
Seaman

5304 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish there were ways to purchase ships. It is bad that you have to give up all your ships except for the flagship when you divide. There should be a choice. It should cost you extra, for storage and refitting, if you want to keep extra ships. Since that's not possible with the game, a mod making ships buyable would be great.

I do think your prices are a bit too high. By the time you could afford to buy a better ship at those prices, you could have captured pretty much any ship you wanted. Then when you spend the money, after being at sea the length of time it would take to accumulate it, your crew would go nuts, you would have to divide, and you would loose either the new ship you purchased or your previous best ship. The best ships in the game only sell for 1800 gold when fully loaded. Why would it cost 200 times that amount to buy one?

That also brings me to the point of the ship selling prices. I believe they should sell for more. How can a fully loaded Ship of the Line only go for 1800 gold, yet a ruby ring can cost nearly 3500 gold in a wealthy city? You give the mysterious traveler 1000 gold to tell you where Raymondo won't be when you get there. Is that information worth as much as a really nice ship is? I think not.
Gandalf
Swabbie

355 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mod Idea (Ship Yards) Reply with quote

Saranis wrote:

Dutch coule have:
Brigantines for 80,000
Royal Sloops for 135,000

Like I said, I dont know if this is a possability but I do think it would be a cool thing to add. It would add much more of a challenge to the game to be able to buy some ships you want but cant find.

Interesting idea of a shipyard, but as for the prices, I hope you are kidding!

The prices are a bit unbalanced in the game, that ships are too cheap when sold. But 80,000 for a Brigantine is excessive too.
Saranis
Swabbie

437 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left the Prices steep because I was thinking of people buying a new Flag ship before dividing plunder (when they have the most money) so it should be steep. The Trade Galleons are overly steep and thinking back I would lower them to about 1,500 - 3,500 because the only time you would buy them is AFTER dividing.
Avenstar
Swabbie

408 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Should be Reply with quote

Ships should be expensive, and even though he mentioned nothing of the resell prices, I would assume that those would be increased somewhat, but overall the only people that could afford ships were large merchants and countries. Why should some random person be able to walk into an English shipyard and order construction of the largest ship in the Carribean without having the wealth of a country to back it up?
Silk
Powder Monkey

115 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a great idea. Trying to start a game where I am completely neutral and make money purely by trading seemed like fun.

The only issue I am having is whenever I Divide the Plunder, I have to break my neutrality with the ENglish to acquire a few East Indiaman cargo ships. Their 140 tons of available space is too good.

The only other option I had was a fleet of mismatched ships consisting of Pirate barques, sloops, and indian war canoes. I'll pass on that.

Being able to 'hire' transport ships or purchase them outright a la Privateer would be useful and allow further diversification of the role you can take in the Caribbean during these volatile times.
Dutchman
Powder Monkey

172 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Should be Reply with quote

Avenstar wrote:
Ships should be expensive, and even though he mentioned nothing of the resell prices, I would assume that those would be increased somewhat, but overall the only people that could afford ships were large merchants and countries. Why should some random person be able to walk into an English shipyard and order construction of the largest ship in the Carribean without having the wealth of a country to back it up?

However a wealthy Duke walking into a ship yard doesn't sound unreasonable.
And maybe they're balck market ships?
watson42467
Cutthroat

573 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be concievable to be able to purchase ships since you are allowed to sell and upgrade the ones you capture. However, I think some people might try to buy there way through the game. It does serve a purpose to force you to have to fight to get the ships you want, part of the challenge. Afterall, you would you be more likely to attack a ship of the line if you could buy one of your own to take it on. That is also why I'm glad there are no cheats on this game. I always enjoy being the underdog and taking on the big bad spanish government in my little sloop. What would be the sense of the thrill if you could buy everything you needed. That goes for special items as well.
watson42467
Cutthroat

573 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be concievable to be able to purchase ships since you are allowed to sell and upgrade the ones you capture. However, I think some people might try to buy there way through the game. It does serve a purpose to force you to have to fight to get the ships you want, part of the challenge. Afterall, you would you be more likely to attack a ship of the line if you could buy one of your own to take it on. That is also why I'm glad there are no cheats on this game. I always enjoy being the underdog and taking on the big bad spanish government in my little sloop. What would be the sense of the thrill if you could buy everything you needed. That goes for special items as well.
Greywolfe
Swabbie

458 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Mod Idea (Ship Yards) Reply with quote

I think it would be an excellent idea to have a shipyard but I agree with the others that the prices you show are way to steep.....I think they should be 4x the price we get for selling them back.

Greywolfe of the Vineyards

Saranis wrote:
I dont know if this can be done or not but I thought it would be cool. In the Capitals it would be cool to have shipyards. I dont mean places to repair ships (although you could do that here) but a place to BUY ships.

Each Nationality could have different ships associated with it so maybe the;
Spanish could have:
Sloops for 75,000 gold,
War Galleons for 125,000,
Ship of the Lines for 500,000;

English could have:
Brigs for 90,000,
Fast Galleons for 150,000,
Mail Runners for 450,000;

French could have:
Pinnaces for 35,000,
Trade Galleons for 50,000,
Treasure Galleons for 70,000,
Large Frigates for 350,000;

Dutch coule have:
Brigantines for 80,000
Royal Sloops for 135,000

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Corsican
Swabbie

944 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well expand that and then you should be able to buy ITEMS you can't find, (i.e boots, Rutter, swords...) expand that and then you eventually wind up at a MMPOLRPG like I heartily lust for!
Saranis
Swabbie

437 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you get way too little when Selling ships however I do not feel the prices are too steep. The prices listed are high because I wouldnt want people to just change flag ships through buying them every other year. With the prices this way, people will need to save for a couple years before getting to the point they can buy a ship. I would not add an option to buy boots or things because there are just too few items to own and being able to buy them through a shop would kill the game.
bryce777
Gunner

652 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even one gold piece is a LOT of money. Keep that in mind.

Probably a month's pay or more for most people of the time.

The cargo a ship carried would generally be worth MUCH more than a ship, for that matter - makes sense because ships were often lost transporting cargo so it is the shipping cost dictating the cargo price.

The special item prices are exhorbitant, but the costs of ships is likely not too crazy.

It would be insane to pay tens of thousands for a new flagship, though.

Being able to buy ships might be nice, but doing so is not so nice it is worth paying crazy money for them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: