Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Too many distractions
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Too many distractions Reply with quote

Have decided that I like the game with higher graphics settings, but there are just too many distractions.

Getting rid of the cheerleaders on deck during the ship-to-ship was easy enough, but . . .

Try removing the swordfighters in the background of the boarding action.
The best I can get is solid black figures swordfighting.

Any ideas?

Tried importing a 256x256 black alpha, then saving the file.
Tried editing the "existing" alpha.
Saranis
Swabbie

437 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean by "distractions"? I have no trouble just ignoring them. Do they lower your frame rate to an unplayable level?
Niedzwiedz
Swabbie

1236 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the distractions. It represents the fog of war. Sure, I get tagged a few times because some sailor falls out of the crows nest just as the enemy captain is about to strike and I don't see it, but in the long run I enjoy the extra eye candy.

John Wesley Hardin
bryce777
Gunner

652 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I must have it on low settings because I can't remember any sort of other pirates in my fight. I do have a rpetty good video card, though.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Object detail slider. (min, crew, sails move)

Lots more options in the "config" file, found in the game saves folder, and other links.
bryce777
Gunner

652 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I turned up the settings and the improvement is DRAMATIC.

The fight scene animations are something else, not to mention actually seeing the ships lose their masts.

No slowdowns, either.

So, anyone else not seeing this level of detail might want to try it - not sure why mine defaulted to such a low setting....
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny almost bug.
Diddled with the settings. Turned off/on isslowmachine.
The dueling swords alternately disappeared/turned black depending upon the mood of my machine.

Gotta get me a better gaming rig.
DrBeast
Cutthroat

5316 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started the game and saw the low settings the game had started on, I was disappointed. I thought "OK, this machine is too crappy to play Pirates!". However I did increase the resolution to 1024x768, then started to slowly increase the graphic details as I played. Merely 5 minutes after starting the game I had everything on max, and the game went smooth and sleek! After a tenday of extensive playing I've never noticed anything slowing down. The PC is a Pentium 4 2.4GHz (overclocked to 2.7GHz) with 512 MB RAM and ATI Radeon 9200SE 256 MB GPU. Thank God there are still developers out there who don't force you to upgrade a 1-year old computer to play their new super-dooper game! The Sims 2 crawls on this machine! I play that game with many graphic goodies turned off! So thank you Sid for not forcing us to upgrade!
bryce777
Gunner

652 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBeast wrote:
When I first started the game and saw the low settings the game had started on, I was disappointed. I thought "OK, this machine is too crappy to play Pirates!". However I did increase the resolution to 1024x768, then started to slowly increase the graphic details as I played. Merely 5 minutes after starting the game I had everything on max, and the game went smooth and sleek! After a tenday of extensive playing I've never noticed anything slowing down. The PC is a Pentium 4 2.4GHz (overclocked to 2.7GHz) with 512 MB RAM and ATI Radeon 9200SE 256 MB GPU. Thank God there are still developers out there who don't force you to upgrade a 1-year old computer to play their new super-dooper game! The Sims 2 crawls on this machine! I play that game with many graphic goodies turned off! So thank you Sid for not forcing us to upgrade!

I have a near identical machine. Probably the newer drivers have better performance than when they started production...I imagine that is why the put the settings so low for that card/system.
bryce777
Gunner

652 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and for me sims 2 has no troubles. Not sure what could be going on for you - of course, i didn't fiddle with the graphics so maybe I am in super low setting mode.
Greywolfe
Swabbie

458 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have not seen any of the things you mentioned. I will have to check my settings tonight. Damn and I have lodge tonight and I have to be there. Oh well...another late night so I can get my fix Twisted Evil

Greywolfe of the Vineyards
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Trajanus
Powder Monkey

269 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah! The sails, they move! And the masts, they collapse! And my captain, he's not just insane and cheering to an empty ship when I win a duel, there's supposed to be pirates there! Very Happy

I dunno why my machine defaulted so low, it seemed to handle the improvement fine. Just wish I'd noticed "Object detail" sooner Smile
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pox on you all, ye scurvy lubbers!
If I crank up object detail it takes me about as much time to dance with the plain daughter as it does to find the lost city Smile

watson42467
Cutthroat

573 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the matter rupert, don't like your crew cheering you on?
Emmerson
Swabbie

1743 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headrock wrote:
A pox on you all, ye scurvy lubbers!
If I crank up object detail it takes me about as much time to dance with the plain daughter as it does to find the lost city Smile

Excellent joke tie-in, headrock! Laughing

I'm there with ya. I just realized over the weekend that if I un-check all the doo-dads and whatsits, the game is playable at "medium" object detail. Sad part is, I tried it with object detail set at "high," so I know what I'm missing. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: