Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Marriage
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DreadPirateBen
Powder Monkey

294 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Marriage Reply with quote

I've played for a while, but have yet to see the option to get married. Maybe it's because I'm a very bad dancer. If there a away to get married with out being a successful dancer?
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get the option to marry after you have danced successfully with a girl, given her a gift, fought with her fiance, danced again, and saved her from a kidnapper.

So, you have to be able to dance... Don't worry, you'll learn it: I did, and I don't have any sense of rhythm in me - I merely started to know the different patterns by heart a little by little...

BTW: thread moved to hints&strategies
watson42467
Cutthroat

573 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also remembered the patterns. You can also get the twirls if you count out the steps. It will be either a 3 count or 4 count. It helps if you have the unique items, calfskin boots and slippers. Practice with the plain daughters, so you can impress the beautiful ones.
neusci
Powder Monkey

104 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was reading in another thread that some people find the plain daughters the hardest to dance with. Maybe practice on whoever you can.
jparm3rd
Powder Monkey

968 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: MARRIAGE: HOW, WHY AND WHENEVER!!! Reply with quote

Ok DreadPirateBen and others of interest: **SPOILER ALERT***

Here's the lowdown on all things Marriage in Pirates:

Like everything in the game, marriage is affected by difficulty level.
In order to get the opportunity to get married, one has to go through at least 8 steps before this can occur. I will outline briefly what needs to happen etc etc so your pirate can live happily ever after! Laughing

STEP 1:

You first must be a successful pirate and obtain some rank, at least Captain, for a particular country whose gov/port/town you are visiting. Talk to the governor and depending on rank, you are given a chance to dance with the gov's daughter. These daughters come in 3 flavors: plain, attractive and beautiful. The difficulty in dancing with these daughters successfully increases according to their beauty, etc. I will talk about dancing at the very end of this expose as it is really a separate minigame, albeit critically important to your success and ummm..peace of mind. Depending on your pirate's rank and the beauty of the daughter, you can get the opportunity to dance. Plain daughters dance with Captains and above, Attractive daughters dance with Colonels and above and Beautiful daughter dance only with Nobles: Barons and above. One additional rule applies: You must have rank with the county of the daughter whose gov you are talking to. So if you have rank with the French and no rank with the English and are talking to the English gov, you won't get an invite to dance with his daughter, however; if you talk to the French gov and have sufficient rank, then you will. Caveat: There are two items in the game that you can obtain called the French Chapeau (FC) and the Ostrich Feather (OF) hats. The FC gets you a dance invitation with plain and attractive daughters regardless of rank and country. The OF does the same as well as with all plus beautiful daughters. Nice eh? Finally, the Wit and Charm skill (if selected during character creation) gets you the dance one rank earlier in most cases as follows: Plain daughters/Captain. Attractive daughters/Major. Beautiful daughters/Admiral.

So to recap, a successful stage 1 in the marriage path is to successfully dance with the daughter of your choice. This means a Kiss of the Hand or Dip result following the dance phase. A Disgust result means you must try again until successful and of course, that you suck. Oh, and you have to dance over next visit. What a pain. Who said love don't hurt?

STEP 2:

Return to the Town/Gov of the Daughter you previously danced with succesfully. Talk to the Gov. The daughter will ask for either a Ruby ring or Diamond necklace. (Geez-nothing subtle here, eh?) The way it works in the game is that the rings/necklaces can be purchased from the mysterious stranger in the Tavern for cash...the amount of which varies based on difficulty level. You can only buy the Necklace if you already have the Ring. Whats the difference? Well.....girls REALLY like Diamonds ya know and they will give you a better information reward as a result. Totally up to you--you only have to give jewelry--which one depends on how cheap you are or fortunate you are to have one come up for sale....Hmmm so like life eh? This concludes Step 2---Show me the jewelry!

STEP 3:

Return to the Town/Gov of the Daughter you previously reached STEP 2 with successfully. Talk again to the Gov. The daughter will give you a sob story about a jealous suitor who will want you burnt and on toast. Prepare for a sword fight on your next visit. End of Step 3.

STEP 4:

Return to the Town/Gov of the Daughter you previously reached STEP 3 with successfully. Talk to the Gov. Yep--its time for the sword fight--unless you forget your sword, you wuss. Go whip up on the fiance/pansy!
Win the duel and you move on....lose and you must start over at STEP 1!Ouch...that's expensive. So don't lose. On a funny note....if you do lose, you get the Sister! You dog you!!!!! Smile End of Step 4

STEP 5:

Return to the Town/Gov of the Daughter you previously reached STEP 4 with successfully. Talk to the Gov. You get to dance again. Same as Step 1. Piece of cake.......right? Blow the dance and your back to STEP 1. Now that's not just expense, but really painful!!...so don't foul up! For those with dancing issues...save game before entering town, that way the repeat steps issue doesn't zap you. End of Step 5

STEP 6:

Return to the Town/Gov of the Daughter you previously reached STEP 5 with successfully. Talk to the Gov. Now things get to be a REAL PAIN in the neck. The Gov's daughter is kidnapped by the Evil Col Mendoza.
Yep...this bozo snatches your babe and is roaming the Carribean with her on his ship. Hmmmm. Oops You are told by the Gov where the Col has run off to in his ship and you've got to track him down. The fun part is he travels for port to port. When you get to the port, talk to the Tavern Barkeeper and he'll tell you whether the Col has arrived or left. If he hasn't arrived, park outside the town and wait...he has an EVIL stamp on his ship and can't be missed. If you miss him, off to the new town to rinse and repeat. When you do catch up to the Col, you have to beat his ship and then defeat him in a duel. When you win, you get the daughter back. Lose and its back to STEP 1. Not to mention the good Col drops you off on a deserted island where you rot until you are picked up. OUCH!!!!!

End of Step 6

STEP 7

Return the daughter to her Town/Gov and talk to Gov. She'll hint you've got an important question to ask when you return. Gee..wonder where this is heading??? Caveat: You can have infinite relationships going on even after marriage. Only one will proceed to STEP 8 and that's the one you pop the question to. Easy, eh? Gives new meaning to a girl in every town, eh?

STEP 8

Return to the Town/Gov of the Daughter you previously return from kidnapping with successfully. Talk to the Gov. Pop the question. A little marriage scene unfolds....sniff....sniff... boo...hoo. Geez, weddings get me so emotional. Congratulations. If you can pull this off with a beautiful babe on Swashbuckler difficulty, then you ARE the man or woman!

Enjoy!

DANCING:

Dancing is critically important in the game because it grants you fame points (romance plot stages) items (dip/hand kiss result with attractive daughters), information (all daughters) and probably most important, map locations to the Lost Cities (dip result with beautiful daughters) the later of which can only be gotten here and with family members I believe.
So with 4 family members and 16 potential map pieces, you need dips with beautiful daughters or your wife if she's beautiful. At 50K gold per city, its an important $ maker.

The only thing I can recommend is practice. Its a pain, but eventually you'll get it. If you just totally suck, just go with a low difficulty level and plain daughters. Getting the calf boots and dancing slippers is HIGHLY recommended. It really makes your life easy with upper level daughters.

The simplest way to get the dip result is to get as many flourishes as possible. This correlates to correctly hitting the right key/move in time with the music. I suck at dancing and even I can follow patterns and press the right key either when cued by the girl or when it flashes.
Just keep trying...eventually you'll get it. The items really help because they give a % chance that your move will be interpereted as a correct key stroke even when it isn't. That's huge for us non-dancers.

Enjoy and Good Luck:

Prince James.
King of Romance!
Hayashi
Seaman

519 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK you'll only be asked for the ring/necklace if you have the items in your possession. Most expensive one first.
jparm3rd
Powder Monkey

968 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point.

I checked it and if you have both, you are only given the necklace option, so if you don't won't to give away the necklace (saving it for beauties) then choose the reply that backs out. You still have the ring in inventory and its available once the necklace is gone. You can also pick up a new necklace as long as the ring is in inventory. It would be nice if you could choose which to give.....

Prince James.
Gandalf
Swabbie

355 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that dancing difficulty does not seem to depend on the daughter's beauty, but the music. I have had times where a series of different rather plain daughters danced with me to fast music (tougher, but I passed with flying colors anyway Smile); and then when I finally met my beautiful future wife she danced with me with mostly the slow songs that I felt the dances were simple milk runs in comparison. Smile
Rock
Cutthroat

7607 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Crap!! Some of you guys really put some effort into your posts! Shocked

Great reply jparm3rd!!

Kiffer
Swabbie

62 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: MARRIAGE: HOW, WHY AND WHENEVER!!! Reply with quote

jparm3rd wrote:
Congratulations. If you can pull this off with a beautiful babe on Swashbuckler difficulty, then you ARE the man or woman!

Woohoo, i am the man!! lol Razz

On a side note, if you dance really well (ends with a dip and kiss on the mouth) with the beautiful women, even if you're not married to them, the sometimes give you the maps even then. I just discovered that in the last game i played. So by the time my character got married, i only needed the last piece of map.
DrBeast
Cutthroat

5316 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another side note: whenever you succesfully duel with a jealous suitor and you rescue the daughter from her kidnapper you get a fame point. So far I've done that with all beautiful daughters around the Carribean. Now I'm thinking of doing that with the attractive ones as well! Cool
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBeast wrote:
On another side note: whenever you succesfully duel with a jealous suitor and you rescue the daughter from her kidnapper you get a fame point. So far I've done that with all beautiful daughters around the Carribean. Now I'm thinking of doing that with the attractive ones as well! Cool

Think you have this one backwards.
You get 4 attractive daughters Mendosa'ed first.
This way you get lots of gifts to set up your career. You end up with loads of booty. Much stuff. (Greedy, can't you tell Twisted Evil ?)
Really, it usually takes 2 attractive daughter's gifts to set you up with enough fencing gear to take out a Beautiful Daughter's Fiancee (at swash level).
You only need to purchase the Dancing boots and maybe one Rutter (if inclined).
Then you go after the Beauty.
DngrMse
Powder Monkey

542 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hayashi wrote:
AFAIK you'll only be asked for the ring/necklace if you have the items in your possession. Most expensive one first.

I've been asked for these items when I don't possess them, a number of times. You're given an option, (the only option, actually), to keep an eye out for one, (or words to that effect).

I have'nt checked to see if this returns you to step one, or not, (I would suspect not, since having one, and refusing to give it does'nt bump you back to step one).
jparm3rd
Powder Monkey

968 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DngrMse:

It doesn't send you back to step one....it just stalls the romance at that spot. Hey--no jewelery--no romance and no wedding!! Laughing

To everyone else--Thanks for the nice comments....appreciated. Wink

Prince James.
Tomi
Powder Monkey

368 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if I'll have a better ranking if I marry a beautiful daughter instead of an attractive one ? I have rescued 2 daughters from Mendoza, one beautiful (dutch) and one attractive (English) and I'm more inclined to marry the english one because it's my first love (in the game) and the beautiful one looks really stupid. But my mind could change if it gives me a better rank when I'll decide to retire...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: