Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Port Royale 2!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KaptainKaos
Powder Monkey

135 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Port Royale 2! Reply with quote

Hey i just picked up Port Royale 2 and i have to say pretty cool game from close to the same time period. I love the degree of depth in the game, though i can stop saying to myself, why couldnt the best things about pirates and the best thing about port royale be mixed to make some sort of Uber Game. Anyway, anyone eelse play this game yet? Im still trying to set up my empire and yet i feel as if i have yet to even dive below the surface of this game.
Saedor
Powder Monkey

32 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought it as well, and haven't had the chance to do much with it. I've just been going through the tutorials. I hate that narrator in the tutorials. I wish he's shut up!. Smile
John Silver
Powder Monkey

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my friends am sorry to disappoint both of you by saying that PortRoyale 2 is piece of shit . It is no match for the original PortRoyale 1 . Ascaron said they improve the game playing and added a new features , thats rights they do add new things but it destroyed the game . For example :

- when you seabattle military convoy you face 5 warships with your 1 ship even if you have other worships in your convoy you use only one ship at time while they use 5 .

- pirates generates from time to time ( thats fine ) but you can't hunt them down ( you may by chance encounter 1 of them while you are sailing ) untill you get a massage about certain pirate hideout is discovered were you must go directly and attack it ONLY from sea then sword fight the pirate which the easy part of it because if you leave it then the number of cannons in the harbor will increase with passing time which will make it more difficult when you attack it later .

- landbattle now has a time limit so you have to finish it as soon as possible because with time passing the morale of your crew is going down and if it reachs certain point then they will run away and will not fight and you lose the battle .

I realy liked and still playing PortRoyale 1 , I was shocked when I played PR2 . I hope the new project of ascaron ( Tortuga : Pirate Revenge ) is going to be good as they say .
Jando
Swabbie

1236 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Port Royale 2! Reply with quote

KaptainKaos wrote:
Hey i just picked up Port Royale 2 and i have to say pretty cool game from close to the same time period. I love the degree of depth in the game, though i can stop saying to myself, why couldnt the best things about pirates and the best thing about port royale be mixed to make some sort of Uber Game. Anyway, anyone eelse play this game yet? Im still trying to set up my empire and yet i feel as if i have yet to even dive below the surface of this game.

Ah, Port Royale2. Wink

Well, I've basically ditched Pirates since I got Port Royale a week ago or so. Indeed, I too think it's a pretty good game (I've never played the original Port Royale thus I cannot comment on people who say that the new version is bad compared to the old one). Yeah, multi-ship combat would be better, but then in Port Royale you can at least retreat your flagship from a battle and continue with another ship from your fleet, thus fleets with multiple war ships still make sense.

Of course Port Royale is very different from Sid Meier's Pirates qua gameplay and doesn't have this quick-and-easy approach, thus many people here on the boards won't like it probably. But personally I like it because it has much more depth and more challenge to it.

One can download the free demo (limited to the game tutorials, but the third tutorial allows for some limited free gameplay too) from the Ascaron website. Here's the link to the demo for people who want to give it a try:

http://www.ascaron.org/demos/pr2/PR2_English_Demo.exe
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: good link Reply with quote

slow server. It's over 200 megs, so download on off hours.
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's a demo for Patrician, you may wanna consider that. Port Royale 2 felt like "Pirates! lite" to me. It's not bad but it doesn't excel at being a pirate sim and that same fect detracts from it being a trade sim. Patrician excels at being a trade sim without interference from a poorly done pirate part...
PrinceScamp
Gunner

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find port royal really hard, patrician 2 is better for me Twisted Evil
SuperCutless
Swabbie

190 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not played any of the games you are talking about but Im very interested in giving them a go. From what it sounds like Port Royale 2 is along the same lines of Pirates except you get to travel deeper into the world. Would picking up Port royale 2 be a good Idea or a waste of money. I want something "like" pirates but I dont want to pick up a game that is the samething only in a different box.
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have Pirates!, I recommend Patrician 3. Smile
SuperCutless
Swabbie

190 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
If you have Pirates!, I recommend Patrician 3. Smile

Hmmmmm. I will have to check that one out then.........
Jando
Swabbie

1236 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperCutless wrote:
... From what it sounds like Port Royale 2 is along the same lines of Pirates except you get to travel deeper into the world. Would picking up Port royale 2 be a good Idea or a waste of money. I want something "like" pirates but I dont want to pick up a game that is the samething only in a different box.

Well, I find Port Royale 2 better than Pirates so I might be biased. Wink

The games are not the same (in a different box), quite the opposite. In Port Royale you also need to build up a trade imperium because you will find it very hard to live by piracy alone. The nations in Port Royale will get very mad at you when you hunt too many of their ships and will send military convois after you - and you cannot just ignore these convois like we ignore pirate hunters in Pirates.

These military convois are formidable opponents and you'll see that there is no way you could defeat them just with your small pinnacle or sloop, thus you need to build up some naval firepower before you can think about making enemies - and you'll use the income of your trade-routes to finance this build-up.

Yeah, both of these games are settled in the same region and in the same period of history - but apart from that they're quite different games. I suggest you donwload the free demo (link given earlier in this thread) to see whether you like the game.
SuperCutless
Swabbie

190 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been one to try out the demo's...I like to jump in with both feet, so I just check out some reviews..if the game sounds good..then I drop the money. If it sucks I will curse the screen and place the game in the "never play this crap again" section of my desk.
Jando
Swabbie

1236 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperCutless wrote:
I've never been one to try out the demo's. ....

Ah, the demo is just the tutorials. And you'll look at those anyway, either for free or after you've paid for it. Wink
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Jando: Port Royale is definitely a good game, but if you think about it, it's not doing a remarkably good job on its Pirates! part and it's tradesim/Patrician part is.. well.. 95% Patrician.

If you're interested in living the life of a pirate, then Pirates! is a much better and richer game. If you're interested in the life of a trader, then Patrician 3 is a much better game. I just don't think that the mixing of the two games was all that succesful.

Port Royale is Pirates! lite and its piratey part is unmistakenly a Pirates! rip-off. But again, it is a good game and deserves to be among its peers.
Jando
Swabbie

1236 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, Falconer, Port Royale isn't even a Pirate game. The player does not play a pirate, instead the player is put into the role of a trader who eventually becomes a privateer for his nation (up to running his own towns).

I can't comment on the Patrician game cause I never played it but it's from the same developer I believe (Ascaron) thus there's probably a lot of similarities in how they implemented the trade-sim part.

And yes, I'm sure they looked at the original Sid Meier's Pirates when they produced Port Royale. Well, they would be stupid if they hadn't done that, hehe. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: