Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

What is your Ship type?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your favorite ship?
Sloop
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Sloop of War
29%
 29%  [ 16 ]
Galleon (Any Type)
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Barque (Any Type)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Brig
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Brig of War
18%
 18%  [ 10 ]
Brigantine
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Frigate
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Large Frigate
22%
 22%  [ 12 ]
Ship of the Line
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 54

Greywolfe
Swabbie

458 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: What is your Ship type? Reply with quote

I prefer using the Sloop of War with all the upgrades as my main ship with a Brig of War as my backup for taking on the large warships.

The system would only allow so many options for the poll, so I could not list each ship on here.

If your favorite is not here, just post a message stating it and the reason why.

I think it is interesting the different view points and styles we get on here.

Greywolfe of the Vineyards
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the above, I use the canoe. Helps you retire early at Swash with 126 fame points.
Greywolfe
Swabbie

458 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
None of the above, I use the canoe.

Like I said, interesting!!!! I would never think of the war canoe as a viable option as my main ship.

Greywolfe of the Vineyards
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Avenstar
Swabbie

408 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Royalty Reply with quote

No Royal Sloop either? My vote goes uncast then. The Royal Sloop is always the mainstay of my fleet. We are forced onto Frigates, Galleons, even Barques, but the Sloop line is home, and the Royal Sloop is the dream.
The Aberdonian
Cutthroat

9958 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, you can not seriously do a poll like this without a royal sloop.

royal sloops are awesome. i only use one royal sloop and no other ships. fully upgraded it turns like a fish avoiding most broadsides.

triple hammocks give you a crew of 187 men which is enough to take on any enemy ship (maybe one grape shot needed). more than 187 men just makes your crew unhappy after a year.

over the global map they get you anywhere in notime and you can escape pirate hunters. i get from trinidad to vera cruz faster than DHL.

if i have a temporarly need for a 2nd ship in my fleet (for sacking a big fortified city) i get another royal sloop (big spanish cities send them out as presents when you are at war with spain) and upgrade the sails (so the fleet does not slow down) and maybe the hammocks (374 men).

The Aberdonian
Greywolfe
Swabbie

458 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will see if we can get the moderator to add the Royal Sloop to the poll. Like I said, it would only allow so many options. Sorry.
DngrMse
Powder Monkey

542 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've accidentally sunk a Royal Sloop, or two, after very few broadsides. Makes me wonder as to their durability. Give me a large frigate, (or SOTL, if/when I ever get me grubby piratical hands on one), anyday. Nothing says "Gimme all your stuff, NOW", like a broadside from a frigate. Smile
Captain Gunn
Powder Monkey

249 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Brig of War. Maybe not as fast as a Royal Sloop, but it carries enough men, plunder, and cannons, as well as not being slower than a whale on a diet of grain transports. It's a good all around ship. Adaptable for sacking towns or just taking on treasure ships. Fully upgraded, the thing is a bear and tough to fight. With a good wind, it can catch nearly any vessel on the water (except those damn war canoes!).
darkfire90876
Powder Monkey

94 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i prefer the large frigate (and occasionally a sotl). with full upgrades they can hold 300+ (dont know exact number) crew. however their hold isnt very large. sometimes slow and rather short-handed in crew during battle, but i find a chain shot makes up for that. and nothing says hello, like a crew of 300 men takin charge on a port. or fer fun firing all yer cannons (40 total, 20 broadside) into a canoe just for the sake of watching them sink.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkfire90876 wrote:
personally i prefer the large frigate (and occasionally a sotl). with full upgrades they can hold 300+ (dont know exact number) crew. however their hold isnt very large. sometimes slow and rather short-handed in crew during battle, but i find a chain shot makes up for that. and nothing says hello, like a crew of 300 men takin charge on a port. or fer fun firing all yer cannons (40 total, 20 broadside) into a canoe just for the sake of watching them sink.

Surprised you could get close enough to one.
modelsfan
Powder Monkey

102 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Flag Galleon

I did have a Large Frigate but I accidently sold it
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modelsfan wrote:
I have a Flag Galleon

I did have a Large Frigate but I accidently sold it

Set sail, hit Shift-A
Game has an autosave that can save your Frigate called Arrival. Saves here every time you enter port/village/mission ....
Also has an autosave called Quick, (You save to this by Shift-S, you do not type the "-"), and another autosave called Battle (every time you start a ship-to-ship battle it saves here for you.
DrBeast
Cutthroat

5316 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wat? No Guinness? Sorry, couldn't resist citing those little lines from the Powerslave cover!
What I DO mean, however. is: What?!? No War Canoe?!? Why leave out the deadliest, meanest, fastest mosquito that will bring down an elephant by just dizzying it?! Shame on you! You should be condemned to scrubbing decks at trade galleons for the rest of your lives!
(I hope you guys can take some humor Cool )
Jimby
Powder Monkey

185 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far the Large Frigate, Brig of War and Royal Sloop are my faves. If I were to chose 1 I would go for the large frigate. Its pretty fast and the amount of cannons makes it very deadly in combat.
Argle Bargle
Powder Monkey

31 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a Ship of the Line last night and immediately upgraded from my Frigate. Oh my god, does this thing rock. 48 cannons will take down anything quickly and it is more maneuverable than the frigate. Only problem so far is that it takes so long for all those cannons to fire that you have to stay parallel to your target for quite a while, making you less able to veer out of the way of their shots. I suspect the ship can handle the damage however.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: