Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Strategy for using War Canoe (Please)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mycroft Stanyer
Seaman

2709 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that a canoe can dance between the raindrops. And this means more than just cutting inside of an enemy cannon volley and letting the shots splash behind you.

An easy way to gauge the aim of enemy fire is by looking at the shadows the cannonballs cast as they move over the sea. Turn as neccessary to clear away from just where those shots are going.
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, even though end-on shots cause more damage, it's better to turn to face the volley and slip in between a gap. This doesn't work so well with big huge ships with forty guns, but still...

Mail runner has to be my favorite ship, and the only times I take damage are when I'm fighting ships of a similar size. It rocks!

Like my fossa? He's a pirate! Razz
DrBeast
Cutthroat

5316 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
Now, as your sail has an interesting design (to a non-european) the design's history might make some interesting reading.

Greeks have always been a seafaring people, and the flag depicts just that. The choice of colors is pretty obvious: blue and white for the sea, the waves and the open sky. The cross is pretty common among christian nations, while the nine stripes stand for the nine syllables of "freedom or death" (in greek, "e-ley-the-ri-a h tha-na-tos"), the motto of the greek revolution of 1821 against the Ottoman Empire. As for the sail emblem, the only mentionable part is the crown of olive tree branches that encircles the main theme, a symbol deriving from the ancient Olympic Games. Winners of those games were crowned thus, and you might have noticed it in the Athens Olympic Games last summer as well.

As for the main topic of this thread, I'll throw in my two (euro) cents in favor of the war canoe: the pinnace and mail runner might hold a bit more cargo and host a slightly bigger crew, but they lack the ultimate agility and speed of the war canoe. The mail runner especially is a knot or two short of the war canoe's top speed, and speed is one of the two biggest allies of these ships. Also, a single war canoe with a cooper on board can stay at sea (with maximum crew of 75) for 8 months without cannons, or 4 months with 10 cannons.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBeast wrote:
As for the main topic of this thread, I'll throw in my two (euro) cents in favor of the war canoe: the pinnace and mail runner might hold a bit more cargo and host a slightly bigger crew, but they lack the ultimate agility and speed of the war canoe. The mail runner especially is a knot or two short of the war canoe's top speed, and speed is one of the two biggest allies of these ships.
Have been waiting for another person to confirm this. Repeated observations have shown me that this is absolutely correct.

There is another post in Cutlass Isle clearly stating that this is not the fact . . . that through using a Trainer, he was able to establish that all ships in a class handle the same . . . including the Pinnace class.

Thank you for re-confirming what I have observed in every game that I have played starting with a Pinnace. Once you switch over to the War Canoe, everything goes faster.

Independent observation clearly states that a War Canoe is faster than a Mail Runner. Implied -> Smallest ship in a class is faster than the larger ships in the same class.
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
DrBeast wrote:
As for the main topic of this thread, I'll throw in my two (euro) cents in favor of the war canoe: the pinnace and mail runner might hold a bit more cargo and host a slightly bigger crew, but they lack the ultimate agility and speed of the war canoe. The mail runner especially is a knot or two short of the war canoe's top speed, and speed is one of the two biggest allies of these ships.
Have been waiting for another person to confirm this. Repeated observations have shown me that this is absolutely correct.

There is another post in Cutlass Isle clearly stating that this is not the fact . . . that through using a Trainer, he was able to establish that all ships in a class handle the same . . . including the Pinnace class.

Thank you for re-confirming what I have observed in every game that I have played starting with a Pinnace. Once you switch over to the War Canoe, everything goes faster.

Independent observation clearly states that a War Canoe is faster than a Mail Runner. Implied -> Smallest ship in a class is faster than the larger ships in the same class.

Just don't try this with the patch installed. Evil or Very Mad It evens the playing field. I am going to remove it when I get home.
WaxonWaxov
Cutthroat

2424 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBeast wrote:
Greeks have always been a seafaring people

When I was in the US Navy (about ten years ago) we sold the Greeks (an d Mexicans) some old frigates and such while Bill Clinton was selling our national security.

So three of these Frigates were sold to the Greeks. We (the US Navy) offered to train the Greeks in how to run the enginerooms, etc. The Greeks replied "oh you stupid Americans. what the hell do you know? We Greeks have been sailors for thousands of years."

Within one year of the Greeks taking ownership of those ships, all three were at the bottom of the Mediterranean.

ha ha ha ha ha ha
Dr Hook
Powder Monkey

129 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaxonWaxov wrote:

Within one year of the Greeks taking ownership of those ships, all three were at the bottom of the Mediterranean.

ha ha ha ha ha ha

They must have decided to visit the Italian Air Force Razz
DrBeast
Cutthroat

5316 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaxonWaxov wrote:
DrBeast wrote:
Greeks have always been a seafaring people

When I was in the US Navy (about ten years ago) we sold the Greeks (an d Mexicans) some old frigates and such while Bill Clinton was selling our national security.

So three of these Frigates were sold to the Greeks. We (the US Navy) offered to train the Greeks in how to run the enginerooms, etc. The Greeks replied "oh you stupid Americans. what the hell do you know? We Greeks have been sailors for thousands of years."

ha ha ha ha ha ha

I'm sorry to bust your bubble old mate, but check any history book regarding naval history (particularly ancient). You'll find out that long before you guys sailed around in state-of-the-art aircraft carriers and AEGIS cruisers pretending to be the smart-asses you are, the greeks fought against vastly superior forces and turned them into sharkbait. From ancient times up until the decline of the Byzantine Empire greeks ruled the Mediterranean, and that's a fact. Open your eyes and face the truth.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Beast,
Tell him about Greek Fire. The most terrifying (and classified) weapon for CENTURIES! It was the most carefully guarded secret and deadliest weapon of it's day. The Greeks had it to themselves for a long time.
Salty Cool

By the way, back to the basic subject of this thread. Once you go war canoe, that's it! I now am playing 1600 in a war canoe with no cannons and I swear this is the only way to go!
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was the byzantines who had Greek fire, not the Greeks. Razz

I've not yet been able to convince myself to switch to a war canoe, but in my current game I'm stuck with a Sloop of War and am really missing my mail runner. I don't go in so much for the blow it out of the water school, so I'm thinking that it's time to make the switch.

Like my fossa? He's a pirate! Razz
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: War Canoes are great! Reply with quote

Well, my transformation to the war canoe is now complete. Thanks to Gun Pierson, Dr. Beast and Rupert Little Bear. Just finished a 1600 game using a war canoe with no cannons. Very fun and challenging. The canoe is the way to go with experienced players. I never lost a battle or had to re-load for any reason and finished with a 126 at age 38.

The 1600 game takes a bit longer to play. Only one Dutch port - in St. Martin, and two English Ports - Eleuthra and Grand Bahama, so you have to spend time traveling back there to get promotions. That adds to the game time. Also, you start off with a TERRIBLE ship! I chose the English so I started with a Merchantman and then captured a Spanish Brig and then got a war canoe. If you play as a Dutch pirate, they start you off with a Fluyt and that is even worse. Toughest battle in the game was my very first one fighting it out Merchantman vs. Brig. My ship was riddled with holes before finnally boarding and fencing it out. Give the 1600 game a try!

Back to the main point. The war canoe is the way to go for experienced players - it adds more fun and speeds all aspects of the game up. As Gun Pierson says "Once you go war canoe, you'll never go back". I agree!
Salty Very Happy
DrBeast
Cutthroat

5316 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: War Canoes are great! Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
Well, my transformation to the war canoe is now complete. Thanks to Gun Pierson, Dr. Beast and Rupert Little Bear. Just finished a 1600 game using a war canoe with no cannons...
... As Gun Pierson says "Once you go war canoe, you'll never go back". I agree!
Salty Very Happy

In think I speak on behalf of the other two fellow war canoers when I say: welcome aboard! As for anyone who still has doubts about the war canoe: don't! Join us! Join us! Joooooin us! Twisted Evil

A final note on greeks and naval history: I won't say anything else about this matter. Like I said to the US Navy hotshot, open a history book. History (and mankind) existed way before 4th July 1776.

Oh damn it, I have to say this too: byzantines were greek! Yes, they started off as the "Eastern Roman Empire" but...oh darn, open a history book please! And shoot the guy who made them speak latin in Age of Empires II. They only spoke latin in the very early years, they were greeks and so they eventually adopted greek officially as well! Just shoot him! And this concludes the off topic ranting about Greece!

War canoes forever!
(I had to get back on topic somehow!)
Swordhawk
Powder Monkey

382 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my current game i've been using a war canoe as long as i'm not fighting a a ship with lots of men aboard. must admit i do enjoy the zippy little tub.

but for the likes of montalban and others such i fall back on my royal sloop to clear some men off her decks. not gonna rely that heavily on my fencing
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: