Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

By way of introduction...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nefarious
Swabbie

159 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: By way of introduction... Reply with quote

Greetings, all. I'm new here, but not to Pirates!. I thought it would be nice to have an introduction thread where pollywogs and shellbacks could give a brief background for others to enjoy.
Back in the 80's I was in the US Marines, stationed in southern California. One day a member of my platoon said he had this incredible game called Pirates!, asking if I wanted to come over and see. I drove over the next evening and found out why I was invited.
Seems the Missus was none-too-pleased at Hubby's newest addiction and wished the whole thing would vanish. I watched the gameplay for about 30 minutes, then was handed the little joystick and told to 'have fun, do as you please.'
I asked about time limits, goals, etc. My pal's response? 'This is Pirates!, man. Just as a pirate you're free to do whatever you want; fight, explore, marry, retire, sail until dead...whatever.'
WHAT?!!? Surely he was drunk. Or was he in need of a urinalysis back on base? This was madness talking...there MUST be rules to a game. All other developers had said so! Well...
After a few flagons of his finest ale an agreement was met: I offered to buy the whole system! That's right; a brand new Tandy 1000EX from Radio Shack that his wife was jealous of, and all his software(especially Pirates!) to help keep peace in his household...and satisfy my new addiction.
My character name became Capt. Nefarious and I've used it ever since on forums of all genres(w/o the Capt., of course). Although being 'unreasonably wicked and cruel' is contrary to my actual personna, it is such a welcome escape from day-to-day life.
I've rambled long enough. Just wanted to introduce myself and give an idea of who I am; new to the board, but an old salt from days of yore. This looks like a nice site and I hope to be around for awhile to contribute.
Nef
PiratesFan
Rigger

23509 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board Nef most of us here on the board have all played the Pirates! or Pirates! gold version... Tandy 1000 EX eh? ... mine was and still is only a Tandy 1000 HX (I have a new computer just talking about the Tandy)... can't belive I still have it .. just couldn't get the nerve to get rid of it...LOL

Well welcome to the board!!

PF
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Nefarious!

Wow, that's a good story. Did your friend go out and buy a Commodore after that? Smile Man, you've got to love women but they should never interfere with a man's hobbies should they? (unless of course his hobby would be.. other women or would bankrupt them).

Fortunately my wife loves computers too, although I'll never get why she plays so many of those arcade browser games for hours and hours.. no, make that days and days. Smile
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea to have a thread where newbies and oldies? can introduce themselves and let us know their experiences playing Pirates!

Personally, I started playing Pirates! on my Uncle's trusty Commodore64. Well, my request for Christmas that year was - you guessed it - a C64 of my own (well for the family) and a copy of Pirates!

Absolutely love the game - the graphics (amazing for the time), the gameplay, the storyline, the openness and the fact that there was a hall-of-fame and scoresheet that you could try and beat. And of course, no two games were alike.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Angel
Seaman

1757 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY - some of us gals would be MORE obsessed than our spouses on this kind of thing!!! Very Happy

As for me - I got the NES for Christmas from "Santa" and my dad bought ME, hahahaha, the game Pirates - when I could FINALLY wrest the thing away from HIM, I got WAY addicted - we would have competitions to see who could have more gold, etc. AWESOME game - truly do miss it! Very Happy
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, yeah that's what parents do. I'm shopmanager in a toystore and you wouldn't believe how many dads get twinkles in their eyes buying toys for their children. Oddly enough though, mothers don't seem to have that at all. You can see them pick up an item and genuinly enjoy it 'for' their children.
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on..Seriously, which parent doesn't walk into a toy store and pick up a toy for their child and think "I wish they had this when I was a kid"?

I know that I do it all the time..I just wish my little girl was a bit older so that I could buy Pirates! for HER as a gift for Christmas. Being a parent I would have to try it out first, of course. Wink

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: