Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Tool for Managing & Switching Mods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K-Bob
Swabbie

3314 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Tool for Managing & Switching Mods Reply with quote

Blew off a bit of work, and stayed up late one night... and created this tool for managing your mod files.

It will:
--list all mod files in multiple source paths
--allow you to easily activate and inactivate mods
--group mods together, so they don't interfere with each other
--automatically switch between mods at specified time intervals
--rename DDS files to SMP's standard names as it activates them; so you can store them under more descriptive names

It's written in Ruby and I've never before distributed Ruby apps to computers that don't have Ruby. So could a brave soul or two who don't have Ruby download this and try it out? Let me know if it runs OK. (Windows boxes only) Unzip into your game folder (e.g., My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Pirates!) If you run it from a command prompt, it may give you some diagnostic info if it runs into problems (but you don't have to). It's only a beta version, but you're welcome to try it out.

Get the ZIP here: http://pirates.piratesahoy.net/ModMgr.zip (about 2 MB)

There's a documentation file in the modmgr_doc folder.

Feedback appreciated
Gun Pierson
Gunner

5053 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groovay man! Very Happy

I've been waiting for a configuaration manager like this. Those things are very handy. Much better than manually move and remove those mods in the custom folder.

As I've just read this post, I can't give you feedback on the manager yet. But I'm downloading it as we speak. And I'll test it out following hours. Gonna need to read the documentation file too, so give me some time before I report back. Looking good though from what I can see on the screenshot.

Thanx for your work and time and sharing this with the community Bob!

Last edited by Gun Pierson on Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total
K-Bob
Swabbie

3314 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, you might want to download it again. Oops

Just fixed a couple of bugs in it that affect the configuration file saving and switching. No changes to functionality or anything.
Gun Pierson
Gunner

5053 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No prob man, I was just about installing it, good I was still on the forums. Gonna try the latest version now. You'll here from me again Wink
Rook
Seaman

517 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm preoccupied most of the day, but come tonight or tomarrow, I'l let you know what happens. Outstanding job actually making it though, awsome idea!

Rook
Managing Editor/Writer
www.hookedgamers.com
K-Bob
Swabbie

3314 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New of ModMgr version is available now. This one automatically figures out what your mods are for as long as you stick to SMP's naming conventions. Cuts down on the hassle of setting it up. Makes it a lot more usable. Has some bug fixes too.

Seems to be working well. I've got it switching all the barmaids around every 2 minutes or so. Nice to go into a tavern and see a different look each time.

See http://piratical.bravehost.com/mods/modmgr/modmgr_overview.html
Rock
Cutthroat

7607 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very COOL K-Bob!! I'll check it out tonight too. Thanks for sharing!

Gun Pierson
Gunner

5053 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Bob, I tested it and it works on my system. It's good though you made it a bit more user friendly as I needed to read the tutorial a few times before I got the drill.

I also think you've spent some time and effort on this one to make it like it is at this point. Thanx buddy.
K-Bob
Swabbie

3314 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a new version of ModMgr that should be a bit easier to configure the first time.

- On bootstrapping, now if the default game directory (My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Pirates!) doesn't exist, it tries to put the config file in the current working folder (where you started it from probably), instead of sticking with the non-existent folder. If you run it the same way the next time, it should find the file.

- If you use the -g option to specify the game name, you can now put in a full path name.

- Fixed a bug: no longer ignores the auto-switching mod include/exclude list when switching mods in and out automatically.
Alejo
Powder Monkey

10 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Sorry Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I´m new here I love this game But I have a problem with the Mod Manager I dont know how I can use it Oops I mean I run the manager and I work with all my mods but how can i made it run with pirates? Run the mod and later pirates? Sorry I´m not very good with this kind of programs
CGM3
Gunner

12612 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start the Mod Manager, minimize it, then start Pirates! Provided you have the Automatic tab of the Manager configured to do so, it will change the designated mod files with other versions at given intervals.

F'rinstance, say you have three different mod files you want to use for Beautiful English Daughter #1, which are stored in a folder OTHER than the Pirates! Custom folder; we'll say they're named daug_beau_e1_hot.dds, daug_beau_e1_hotter.dds and daug_beau_s2_XXX.dds (NOT a misprint, you can mix-n-match if you wish). On the Mods tab of the manager, each of these filenames will appear in the File column, and you will have set the Target file for each as Beautiful English Daughter #1.

If the Mod Manager is running while you play Pirates! and you have defined Beautiful English Daughter #1 (on the Automatic tab) as auto switching every 3 minutes, then every 3 minutes the manager will choose one of the three mod files (I don't know if it does so randomly or in order) and copy it into your Custom folder as daug_beau_e1.dds (thereby making "her" your Beautiful English Daughter #1 until the next switch).

You can also use Mod Manager without running Pirates!, to select which mod you wish to use "in play" (on the Mods tab, make the desired mod Active, and the manager copies that file to Custom). Then play the game without the application running to keep your mods constant. In our example, if you use the manager to select (activate) daug_beau_2_XXX.dds as Beautiful English Daughter #1, then close it and start Pirates!, that mod will always appear for Beautiful English Daughter #1.

Hope that helps.
Westley_Roberts
Iron Guts

10339 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This program sounds GREAT ! ! Now, all we need is more Villian Mods, So we don't havta fight Raymondo all the time. Maybe more Criminal Mods too??

But, if not, I'll take a lot more barmaids to switch out... don't think I'll be rotating daughters tho, if I fall for the beautiful daughter of St. Kitts, and have her skin change, I might forget who she is, and rush off to another...lol

Now, is there a way, follow me on this....There are 2 variations ingame per country and level of beauty, is there a way to have more variations? so I don't get only two skins of beautiful daughters per country? I know I can change the 2 to different skins, but can we increase the pool ??

If this was addressed before and I never saw it, please let me know.

As for the Mod Manager, I'll be looking into this soon. Right now I'm getting ready for the release of Stronghold 2 by playing the original until my copy gets to me here in the desert...

Happy Modding All !! ! !!

Have an Army Day
Alejo
Powder Monkey

10 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks CMG3!!! Very Happy I´ll try it just now BTW where can i find the daug_beau_s2_XXX.dds Shocked

And I´d like to see a villian or bartenders mod too
CGM3
Gunner

12612 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alejo wrote:
BTW where can i find the daug_beau_s2_XXX.dds Shocked

That, alas, is what we call wishful thinking... Mr. Green
Daedalus
Powder Monkey

498 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Excellent... Reply with quote

K-Bob you deserve recognition for implementing this Mod Manager, I've been manually swapping mods and this program is a godsend! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: