Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Challenge - Biggest Bounty (Special)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zem
Gunner

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhankskunk wrote:
Simply take a screenshot of your status page at the best point(s) in your game & voila! you have your "score".

Exactly.
dhankskunk wrote:
See, it would be harder if we had to go for x number of years & then calculate our score. That would require more finesse IMO.

It's gonna be harder indeed. But it can be very annoying if you have a good score and after that the enemies make peace, friends declare war on each other, your bounties are decreased, and everybody will HATE ME because of the rules!!!

Sad Sad Smile Smile
dhankskunk
Swabbie

350 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are absolutely right, Zem. I am finding it hard enough to keep all 3 enemy nations pissed off at me simultaneously. Having a preset endpoint would be doubly frustrating! Twisted Evil
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: ups and downs Reply with quote

You can't help but have that feature. Pounding one makes the other one love you. But, if you don't go in and receive the favors, it's not YOUR fault you have a fan base - fickle as it may be.

Though, your rise in favor with one power can show with what mendacity you're assaulting another country - maybe it's time for a democratic approach. Attack everyone equally over the long run, maybe it'll sort itself out. More than likely we'll come across a mean set of averages. If we all play the game similarly like this, we'll find a FEW (very few) gold mines, and a lot of duds (a LOT of duds).

SO, it seems the strength in this way of play lies in your very survival, and in still possessing a crew after a long period of time. This is where the skill will lie, but is there an accounting method for this skill? Maybe there's a set of stats we've overlooked that can more accurately give credit for "pure pirating", or not taking advantage of the existence of state organization precisely WHERE we're trying to avoid such authority.

How the countries evaluate you seems rather arbitrary, and too interlinked for a true opinion of just what kind of scourge of the seas we beeez. See? Having (0) nothing as a score is inevitable in most of the scoreboard categories. Nation's regard for you hinges on you doing something to someone OTHER than them, so how does their opinion of you count?

If there's a time limit and an accounting, that would involve different manipulations than would successfully surviving a fairly profitable piratin' career, without subsidization by a state. That's what we're trying to get around, right? Using the resources of a state to further our own ends? We're trying to rack up a "positive" score on flat-out piratin' (as a base criminal activity) and not as an extension of some nation's military presence in the region. Thing is, in what numbers generated in the form of results, or scores, do we find what accurately scores what we're trying to do? Having zeroes in categories only says what we DIDN'T do.

What leaps to mind is the results on the top ten pirate list, how many ships, how many towns ... etc. Those numbers require actual pirating activity, rather than just staying alive, and score more accurately what we DO do out there on the briney blue.

Just a thought? Muhahahaha
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Just another thought. Reply with quote

I just recalled a "bug" in the game that might HELP someone WIN. Dig: You can sail with a FULL crew and NO food, forever. They'll flash the mutinous coin, and you'll get the irritation screen and obnoxious grumbling, but after a full year of riding a crew around aimlessly with NO food, I stopped and left again (pirate haven) and only ONE GUY failed to make roll call, out of a 300-man ship?

It is conceivable someone could fully load a completely upgraded vessel and use this method from target to target until the crew is too depleted to go on. You'd have to stop eventually, accumulated damage on the ship and all, and you'd likely be reduced to too few to fight, anyway. But, you'd never lose the ship, and at the Pirate Haven hangout section of the map, you can get up a crew of 100 very fast, the other hundred or two quickly enough, then do it again that way.

Statistically speaking, how would a crash and burn strategy like that generate numbers, and how would these numbers compare to those of someone else's more subtly thought-out approaches? If there's a time limit to the game, how would that nasty way of playin' stack up to more braniac approaches? Does it matter? If you set up rules governing the style of play, you're a government, right? Maybe I'm too obsessed with detail.
Swabbie

350 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to hear some progress reports from anyone who is trying this. I've been at it for about 8 game years now & have yet to get all 3 enemy nations to have a bounty on me at the same time. This is starting to seem impossible unless there is some way to maintain a constant state of war between my chosen nation (Dutch) & the other 3...

Mad
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zem wrote:
dhankskunk wrote:
Simply take a screenshot of your status page at the best point(s) in your game & voila! you have your "score".

Exactly.
dhankskunk wrote:
See, it would be harder if we had to go for x number of years & then calculate our score. That would require more finesse IMO.

It's gonna be harder indeed. But it can be very annoying if you have a good score and after that the enemies make peace, friends declare war on each other, your bounties are decreased, and everybody will HATE ME because of the rules!!!

Sad Sad Smile Smile

Zem, I'm working on finishing my game for your contest. But like others here once I get a nation to really hate me and start pounding someone else. The nation that hated me now either forgets or has a peace treaty and they no longer hate me. What a Dilemma! It's easier in this game for them to like you then to hate you for very long. I have a ways to go so we'll see what happens... Smile
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zem wrote:

Sad Sad Smile Smile

We could never hate you Zem! Very Happy This is a very good effort at starting some competition here in the forums. It's actually quite fun playing with a different goal in mind then the same old standard stuff! Good job Zem. Very Happy
Gunner

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Howie!

Concerning the contest: if there's another contest - to make it easier - we will create a savegame (with a trainer) setting the war/peace relations. Of course nations can make war/peace....
watson42467
Cutthroat

573 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that wouldn't be much fun. I like how two nations that are at peace with each other and go directly to being at war. It's not like they go through the intermediate step of not a treaty. This happened in my tournament, real pain in the ass.

By the way, what nationality are most people playing? I'm playing spanish, They always have someone that hates them.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP
Zem
Gunner

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No bump.
Bump
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zem wrote:
No bump.
Bump

I'm still working on my game Zem. When does it end? I have been spending so much time on here that I haven't had much time for the game. LOL Laughing Laughing
Gunner

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dealine is 14 March.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: