Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Battle or full sails during combat ??
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Battle or full sails during combat ?? Reply with quote

What do you prefer during ship vs ship combat ??
The speed of full sails or the maneuverability / safety of rigging of battle sails ??

I myself am a full sails guy Smile
gordon_nicoles
Swabbie

478 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use full sails until my opponent starts using chain shot. I will frequently go back and forth between the two, depending on whether I am trying to catch him or get away from him or whether I am trying to run circles around him.
dhankskunk
Swabbie

350 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mix it up depending on my position relative to the enemy & the direction of the wind.

It really sucks when I'm lining up for a devastaing broadside & decide to change the configuration of my sails not thinking that my crew (usually short-handed) has not loaded all the guns yet. Oops I have wanted to 'belay' that order many times but I dont think you can take it back once issued. When you are really short on crew it can seemingly take forever to reef or spread sails.
Vulture
Gunner

606 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definately fight with full sails all the time with the following exceptions: When turning the ship to avoid getting hit, I reef them until I have completed the turn. This is because the ship corners much faster with reefed sail than with full. I will reef them at very close quarters as well, to minimize chainshot damage. This is rarely needed as I generaly get the white flag before boarding unless I definately want the ship or find myself in an awkward position so I cannot avoid the boarding action.

32 brightly polished cannons, a bottle o'rum, ahh..... a pirates life for me!
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Just the thought of needing to reef the sails on a Copper Clad War Canoe. Wink
Gun Pierson
Gunner

5053 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always battle with fulls sails on my war canoe. A modern speedboat is nothing compared to this baby. What can I say, I'm addicted to the need for speed I guess. Wink

I also like the view when I suddenly change course with it. The canoe hangs way over to one side and slides through the water. I think the crew must move all to the other side to balance it or it will capsize, it's a shame I can't see that in the game. Just like real life sailing.
Zem
Gunner

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulture wrote:
I definately fight with full sails all the time with the following exceptions: When turning the ship to avoid getting hit, I reef them until I have completed the turn. This is because the ship corners much faster with reefed sail than with full. I will reef them at very close quarters as well, to minimize chainshot damage. This is rarely needed as I generaly get the white flag before boarding unless I definately want the ship or find myself in an awkward position so I cannot avoid the boarding action.

I do the same.
Vulture
Gunner

606 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Just the thought of needing to reef the sails on a Copper Clad War Canoe. Wink

I wasn't aware you could actually reef the sail on a war canoe!!

32 brightly polished cannons, a bottle o'rum, ahh..... a pirates life for me!
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use full sails. Then reel them in when getting close. Good way to minimize sail damage I guess. Although if the enemy doesn't have chain shot he's still going to pound your ship if you haven't cut him down some before boarding.
Swabbie

575 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sail configuration I use depends on a number criteria. Opponent strength and speed, wind velocity and direction and if I am more worried about damaging his ship & guns or crew. I have found that if I am being chased by an enemy of equal speed I can get in front of him with full sails and just continue to turn when all guns are loaded and pour grapeshot into him. If he is slower I may have to reef my sails to employ the same strategy. If I am going after his ship and plunder I just plow in on full sails and kick him in the stern. If his crew is large I circle in full sail and after disabling all of his guns just pour in grapeshot to thin out the crew. Grape shot will also damage sails and sometimes I've totally destroyed his sails and masts causing him to surrender.
amtrick
Powder Monkey

244 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep full sails until I close the range, then reef sails until the fight is over or the target tries to make a run for it. The exception to this is when I fight other pirates. Since they have the tendency to just sail straight at you, I just run in front of them (with the wind behind me ... I usually sail a brig) and turn periodically to pepper them with chain or grape shot until they are ready to surrender, or I am ready for an easy boarding action
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulture wrote:
rupertlittlebear wrote:

I wasn't aware you could actually reef the sail on a war canoe!!

Its in the Readme file.

Seems that in reality you cannot reef on a lanteen rigged ship, but for gameplay purposes they included this for all ships.
HANKDOGG
Powder Monkey

15 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the full sails on the ol' sloop...it gives you much more speed and in this game speed kills! Twisted Evil
watson42467
Cutthroat

573 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full sails usually. In close with a big tub of a galleon I'll reel them in and sneak around to its backside and board it. Smaller and faster vessels I'll keep them down.
le-blanc
Powder Monkey

119 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually follow the exact same strategy as grsmith320 and it almost invariably works like a charm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: