Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Stumbling for Profit
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Dancing Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendosas can be fun.
They can also be a pain as some barkeeps will not tell you anything when you have an available Mendosa.

Otherwise, can be useful. But remember just getting her kidnapped can cost you an extra week. And you don't have to return her even if you rescue her.
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't she give the Lost City map only when you return her? That's how it works for me...

rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headrock wrote:
Doesn't she give the Lost City map only when you return her? That's how it works for me...
Like I said, you don't have to return her! If you want the map, that is another story. If you have all of them, she will not give you another. It may not be worth sailing to Barbados just for a bit of a map.
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but the point of the discussion was that it was more time and energy consuming to get a whole bunch of girls kidnapped just so they can give you their maps than it was to marry one and dance with her for all the maps.
If you marry and dance with your wife, the time it takes to get one full map is exactly 1 month (plus an extra day or two for time spent turning around and reentering the city). Of course you'd have to rescue her from Mendoza first, but once instead of 16 times, plus you get a nifty map piece for it.
Otherwise, you'd have to visit several cities, then spend some time looking for mendoza. In bryce's way, you either need to eliminate all northern cities of spanish presence, or you may encounter situations where all (or most) mendozas are spread out across the map. Even if you do leave only the main for the spanish, there would still be time spent tracking down or even chasing a mendoza. And once you've captured one, to actually get a map piece you'd have to return the daughter to whence she came, which could be anywhere. And then you have one mendoza less, so the chance of accidentally meeting one is smaller. So basically, by now you've spent at least 8 weeks on each complete treasure map (A: visiting city to get daughter kidnapped... not counting all the other times you have to visit her, we'll put that down for maintenance visits, B: visiting the city to return said daughter), and your current location in relation to the lost city is quite variable.

Am I making any sense here?

Zem
Gunner

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I plunder and - what is more important - change the governor of Villa Hermosa, Vera Cruz, and Campeche. It help stall off Monty and Raymi of these towns. I marry a daughter from these towns. I collect all the maps from her by dancing. And I don't have to sail much for maps because all the Lost City maps are located somewhere in this area.

Last edited by Zem on Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly Silly, you evaluate on the spot. Not while you are formulting strategy.

Both points of view therefore become viable and need to be kept in the back of your mind while you think about

Do I? Do I get her Mendosaed? Is it worth the time to go back to port?
Do I? Do I bother to rescue Her? Is it worth the time go bag Mendosa?
Do I? Do I bother to return her or have things changes since the rescue?
bryce777
Gunner

652 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but if you just pirate on your marry way and let them get kidnapped in the natural course of things, you will have at least half a dozen by the time you take out montalban.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free Mendosas. Take them whenever they are free.
Lord Ameal
Powder Monkey

21 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the stumbling formula for ages because it's quite logical! Once you have what you want, you go for other things! Simple as that!
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, stumbling can be useful when employed for a purpose.
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is old, but I keep hearing this tactic mentioned, and one thing is always omitted:

If you get a Cleavage Shot with a plain daughter, she will give you gifts! No need for fancy stumbles, you can just dance as well as you can! Don't you people ever dance with the plain daughters?

Like my fossa? He's a pirate! Razz
Capt Peter Blackthorne
Cutthroat

1827 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't you people ever dance with the plain daughters?
I do! I do! Oddly enough, at this stage I find it easier to dance a perfect dance than to strategically stumble for the lesser points.

The plain daughters are perfect for getting gifts without really trying. Smile
Karnik
Swabbie

3329 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Peter Blackthorne wrote:
Quote:
Don't you people ever dance with the plain daughters?
I do! I do! Oddly enough, at this stage I find it easier to dance a perfect dance than to strategically stumble for the lesser points.

I do too, but it depends on who you find. I like to get the items fast, so if I find plain daughters early, I try to dance near perfect. If I find attractive daughters early, I stumble sufficiently. (Then there was the time that 9 out of the first 10 daughters I found were beautiful, but that's another story.)

And if you're finding a perfect dance easier than stumbling and you don't want a perfect dance, just don't type anything at all during the first half of the dance. Even then, you can still get a turn-and-dip ending, but it's harder. (This is at Rogue and Swash levels, where the music is longer. I don't know if you could get a turn-and-dip after stumbling through the first half of the shorter musics.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: