Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Fleet of Ships of the Line
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Fleet of Ships of the Line Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone has tried this, but I am currently working on a fleet consisting only of Ships of the Line. I currently have five!! Razz It may be a little slow, but it is definetly impressive looking.
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fleet of Ships of the Line Reply with quote

Striker wrote:
I don't know if anyone has tried this, but I am currently working on a fleet consisting only of Ships of the Line. I currently have five!! Razz It may be a little slow, but it is definetly impressive looking.

How did you do that Striker? I would be happy with one sotl... I think your fleet of sotl's will beat my sad fleet of Large Merchant ships anyday!!! LOL.... Laughing
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fleet of Ships of the Line Reply with quote

Howie wrote:
Striker wrote:

How did you do that Striker? I would be happy with one sotl... I think your fleet of sotl's will beat my sad fleet of Large Merchant ships anyday!!! LOL.... Laughing

After I took converted the Carribean to English and completed all of my quests, I decided to convert everything to Dutch. You wouldn't believe how hard some of the ships are to defeat. I've had merchant ships give me a good raking. It does seem that a lot more SofLs are generated. I still haven't had one attack me as a Pirate-Hunter. Twisted Evil Of course, they might be afraid I'll just add it to my fleet. Twisted Evil
bryce777
Gunner

652 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fleet of Ships of the Line Reply with quote

Quote:

Well, I sort of have done the same thing. I have kept 3 SOTL. 3 others I have sold off after geting juicy upgrades, and one of them somehow escaped me, hard as I found that to believe.
watson42467
Cutthroat

573 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fleet looks very impressive. I thought of the idea after I got my first ship of the line. I am at seven such ships and still the pirate hunters come after me. Sometimes just a pinnace. Can you say suicide.
natronix
Powder Monkey

1052 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: can you get into those narrow ports? Reply with quote

Anyone else having problems travelling to ports like Leogane in Haiti with a large fleet of big ships? I was trying to do what you're doing but I had Flag Galleons (easier to get) and when the ships bunch up it seems things screw up both visually and hitting land/shoals etc. I only got out of the weirdness by switching camera views.
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone else having problems travelling to ports like Leogane in Haiti with a large fleet of big ships? I was trying to do what you're doing but I had Flag Galleons (easier to get) and when the ships bunch up it seems things screw up both visually and hitting land/shoals etc. I only got out of the weirdness by switching camera views.

Dunno, just finished getting the 8 SOLs a few days ago. Never gave me any trouble, and until that point I had spent about 14 years with Large Frigate / SotL combined fleet.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headrock wrote:
Dunno, just finished getting the 8 SOLs a few days ago. Never gave me any trouble, and until that point I had spent about 14 years with Large Frigate / SotL combined fleet.
Come on, Post a Screenie.
Gun Pierson
Gunner

5053 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
headrock wrote:
Come on, Post a Screenie.

Yep, wanne see that too matey, a real armada. Well armada is actually a term for the spanish fleet, but you know what I mean.
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one, but I need a place to put it on the net. Any suggestions?
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headrock wrote:
I have one, but I need a place to put it on the net. Any suggestions?
Geocities.com
Free!
Gandalf
Swabbie

355 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck I've played endless hours with Pirates in highest difficulty starting in 1660 and I have yet to encounter even one SotL. Even after pissing off the Brits badly I only manage to get them to send me a large frigate. Where is that damn SotL???
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Heck I've played endless hours with Pirates in highest difficulty starting in 1660 and I have yet to encounter even one SotL. Even after pissing off the Brits badly I only manage to get them to send me a large frigate. Where is that damn SotL???

It's often where you aren't looking, just out of the screen's range, passing between a Wealthy (and very pissed off) town and another town. You have to notice them, chase them, and capture them before they sail in. And yes, it's randomal, but the more towns you keep wealthy and pissed off, the better.

AND HERE THEY ARE, after much waiting, posted on Photobucket.com.

Please notice - these photos were taken in 1600x1200 for better viewing of the fleet. They don't spread out much more than this unless I sail really fast, sadly the 1600x1200 mode was so slow I just gave up eventually and took the best screenies I could get.

Fleet Screen

Coming out of St. Martin and into the killing fields. Anything flying Red from here to Martinique is fair game (And they're all English at this point, aside from St. Eustatius and St. Martin, which are Dutch and Spanish respectively).

The huge sums of money are required to keep such a large crew happy. They are collected meticulously by capturing and selling every Large Frigate I find (That was my basic method until I got enough money to keep an 8-ship fleet), and of course by strengthening St. Eustatius so it can pay good money for every commodity I catch on the high seas. Note that this game is played on Adventurer level.

Turning south to patrol St. Kitts and Nevis. Breakfast today includes one Large Frigate pirate-hunter whose Captain is either very brave or incredibly stupid. Lunch will consist of several Merchantmen coming from the southern islands, as well as the occasional Lg Frig and Brigs. Anything that does promise to carry large amounts of gold is to be sunk on sight. The rest can be given the chance to surrender, that is if their ship doesn't blow up accidentally. Dinner will be served on the Eastern islands as we try to catch up with anything headed up north (Perhaps even an impolite Invasion Force headed for St. Martin?).

Have a nice day.

Gun Pierson
Gunner

5053 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing very nice!

I bet they're coming from Jamaica loaded with you know what...cause on that one screen they're zigging. The crew is smoking maybe? Wink
Jah mon.
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not zigging, they're just swerving off cause they can smell the "Bacon" (That's the one coming right at us with a big red flag). It's like when a man walks into a biker bar and says that "harley" is a stupid name. They all move back, so that the biggest man in the crowd can step forward. In this case, that would be the "El Pollo Diablo".
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: