Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

swordfighting indians?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Aberdonian
Cutthroat

9958 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bryce777 wrote:
The Aberdonian wrote:
bryce777 wrote:
Also, indians with swords makes no sense, and it would be silly to make a whole different sort of dueling with tomahawks scene.

but the indians have cannons on their canoes as well. i can not recall any indian tribe which had cannons.

The Aberdonian

That is silly too, but much easier to put in. It would be interesting to see them shoot arrows at your men instead of cannon...it would act sort of like grapeshot.

that is true. that would be close to realism. they could also use burning arrows to damage your sails. by the way... why did nobody else come up with that idea. burning arrows against sails must be cheap and effective.

The Aberdonian
bryce777
Gunner

652 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aberdonian wrote:
bryce777 wrote:
The Aberdonian wrote:
bryce777 wrote:
Also, indians with swords makes no sense, and it would be silly to make a whole different sort of dueling with tomahawks scene.

but the indians have cannons on their canoes as well. i can not recall any indian tribe which had cannons.

The Aberdonian

That is silly too, but much easier to put in. It would be interesting to see them shoot arrows at your men instead of cannon...it would act sort of like grapeshot.

that is true. that would be close to realism. they could also use burning arrows to damage your sails. by the way... why did nobody else come up with that idea. burning arrows against sails must be cheap and effective.

The Aberdonian

Hey, that is a great idea!

Actually I think that they sometimes used burning pitch, which would have the same effect.

It think it is very short ranged though. Also the problem with it is that fires usually destroy ships. So if you want to sink it you may as well just blast the hull with round shot from a safe distance.
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad the game isn't more realistic. Sad They probably think the G rated crowd wouldn't notice or care about historical errors. They took the easy route with this game thats for sure... Mad
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I still luv it sooooo..... Cool
Gunner

652 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howie wrote:
Too bad the game isn't more realistic. Sad They probably think the G rated crowd wouldn't notice or care about historical errors. They took the easy route with this game thats for sure... Mad

Well, the gameplay is the important thing.

A space combat simulator would be super boring for example if it were based on reality. It might be ok as a strategic game, but ships just dont act like airplanes.
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howie wrote:
Well, the gameplay is the important thing.

A space combat simulator would be super boring for example if it were based on reality. It might be ok as a strategic game, but ships just dont act like airplanes.

Unless you play Elite, but then again the gameplay in Elite was far more difficult and frustrating. That's the key - finding balance between realism and facilitation - you could probably make a very accurate game about pirates that would be too difficult for most people to play, or perhaps less attractive to a bigger crowd. The best thing about Pirates! is that you can basically choose how detailed you want your gameplay to be, and your score will eventually reflect upon this. Many beginners to the game quickly find their strongest skills and start making the game more interesting by developing better use for those particular skills. See Covert Action, Sword of the Samurai, and other age-old Microprose games, they did lots of this stuff.

rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Elite was fun on the C-64.

"Right on Commander"
Zem
Gunner

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
Oh, Elite was fun on the C-64.

"Right on Commander"

And Elite 2 was more fun on the PC...
Johny
Powder Monkey

10 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to raid an indian tribe? Some nations would be glad if you destroy one of those settlements and you could get species and gold...
Emmerson
Swabbie

1743 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johny wrote:
Is it possible to raid an indian tribe? Some nations would be glad if you destroy one of those settlements and you could get species and gold...

Nope. You can't raid/attack/sack/convert Indian tribes, monasteries, or European "settlements" (mayors instead of governors).

Though I agree, it would be kind of cool if you could do it. I'd be tempted to turn the whole thing native. Wink
watson42467
Cutthroat

573 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would have to get pretty close to do that, but it would be cool to see.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emmerson wrote:
Johny wrote:

Nope. You can't raid/attack/sack/convert Indian tribes, monasteries, or European "settlements" (mayors instead of governors).

Though I agree, it would be kind of cool if you could do it. I'd be tempted to turn the whole thing native. Wink
Heretic Heretic.

You drive a Sloop! It's in your inventory.

Heretic.

Wouldn't it be fun to play the natives and search for the long lost distant relative of Columbus?
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
Emmerson wrote:
Johny wrote:

Heretic Heretic.

Heretic.

Wouldn't it be fun to play the natives and search for the long lost distant relative of Columbus?

Talking about raiding indian camps, I'm going to change the subject. The game calls a War Canoe a War Canoe. I was reading the manual that came with my game and the stupid manual calls a War Canoe a Tartane! I remember there was a discussion about this on another thread. I was looking at the ships statistics section and they have Tartane listed. They say it's a merchant ship too! I'm real confused now... I wish the manual would follow the software as to what they call things. Confused
Swabbie

1743 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
Heretic Heretic.

Heretic.

Well sure I drive a sloop! It's what I like. Though I do now have a three-ship fleet, with a ship for any occasion:
    War Canoe
    Royal Sloop
    Ship of the Line

I took the War Canoe out against an Indian raiding party, and I must say, I'm impressed. And that was before I got it outfitted with cotton sails. I might employ a War Canoe strategery at least at the start of my next game. We'll see.

But to answer your question, yes I use a Sloop. But if I were "going native," I think I would use a fleet of War Canoes, just to make the experience all the better. Probably play as a Spanish renegade, too.

Isn't cyberops promising a "de-Europeification" aspect to his mod?
bryce777
Gunner

652 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emmerson wrote:
rupertlittlebear wrote:
Heretic Heretic.

Heretic.

Well sure I drive a sloop! It's what I like. Though I do now have a three-ship fleet, with a ship for any occasion:
    War Canoe
    Royal Sloop
    Ship of the Line

I took the War Canoe out against an Indian raiding party, and I must say, I'm impressed. And that was before I got it outfitted with cotton sails. I might employ a War Canoe strategery at least at the start of my next game. We'll see.

But to answer your question, yes I use a Sloop. But if I were "going native," I think I would use a fleet of War Canoes, just to make the experience all the better. Probably play as a Spanish renegade, too.

Isn't cyberops promising a "de-Europeification" aspect to his mod?

You're a regular pirate for all seasons!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: