Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Official Site?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milts
Powder Monkey

98 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Official Site? Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed that the official site hasn't been updated for a while . Does anyone know why?
The Aberdonian
Cutthroat

9958 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope they are working on a new version of Colonization.

The Aberdonian
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were a-guessing . . .

Working 28 hours a day to get the X-Box version out.
Civrules
Cutthroat

4032 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their sites don't get updated often, because they are pretty busy right now.
I think we'll see an update when more news comes from the XBox version.
Zem
Gunner

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aberdonian wrote:

I wish you were right...
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or at least working on a proper patch Smile (faster guys)
Civrules
Cutthroat

4032 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristian95 wrote:
or at least working on a proper patch Smile (faster guys)

Yep, they are working on one, but I hope they take their time, because I don't want to wait for another patch that fixes bugs with the first patch. Very Happy
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's what I meant by a proper one Wink Smile
Jando
Swabbie

1236 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as far as I am concerned I hope they do not work on Colonization or on the already announced new Civilization but rather get their priorities right first. If Pirates is any indication for Sid Meier's and Firaxis' current focus (rather weak gameplay-wise, dumbed-down content, targeted at the console (XBox) market and North-American kids (the "E" rating), lots of bugs and strange features) then I don't really need a civilization or colonization remake.

While there are certainly many people enjoying Pirates (even I still do enjoy parts of it) Sid and Firaxis have to realize that the credit they have in the overall gaming community will rapidly vanish when they continue on this path.

I guess it's not by chance that on all message boards that have a "Patch suggestion" thread about Pirates that thread is one of the largest of all threads on that board ...
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zem wrote:
The Aberdonian wrote:

I wish you were right...

Zem, thought I would mention this to you... I can't see your avatar. Its just a red X.

Who cares about the official site. You go there once and thats enough. I come here because this is where you would most likely get info on the game anyway... Besides they are probably sooooo busy working on that patch for this PC version..... Or like others have said, they are working on xbox and other versions. Cha-ching for Firaxis... Cha-ching....
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jando wrote:
If Pirates is any indication for Sid Meier's and Firaxis' current focus (rather weak gameplay-wise, dumbed-down content, targeted at the console (XBox) market and North-American kids (the "E" rating), lots of bugs and strange features) then I don't really need a civilization or colonization remake.

(edited..)

I guess it's not by chance that on all message boards that have a "Patch suggestion" thread about Pirates that thread is one of the largest of all threads on that board ...

Jando, what you're playing is a classical game which has stood for approximately 18 years as a testament to the longevity of good game design. People still play the old Pirates! today, and this despite the fact that it has stopped, many years ago, to be State of the Art - most games fail to do this. The new pirates is not much more than a remake, indeed. It was not meant to break any new ground (as games like Half-Life 2 seem to do very well nowadays), it was simply meant to revive a classic in a way that both preserves the casual atmosphere that the original did indeed possess, as well as make it good enough as a new game to attract new crowds and to give a better experience to players that have been wishing for something extra on top of the old game.
I personally believe that it does both of these very well. I don't care what its "target audience" is, neither do I care if it has many unexplained features, because myself, and most of the people who write to these forums, enjoy this game equally (if not more) than the original just because it IS a simple game that combines action and strategy without making you be too good at either. This was what Sid Meier had originally intended when he released a whole line of similar games during his early years in Microprose - to make games that can be as hard as you'd like them to be or as easy as possible if you aren't too serious about them. The new Pirates! continues this line with much accuracy. I don't find gameplay to be weak, in fact I find it even more compelling than the original exactly because it changes only what could've been changed anyway, leaves in all the important bits, and enhances on lots of stuff that couldn't have been done 18 years ago (Like the visually dynamic game map, the 3d modeling, and various other improvements)

And yes, the game is not without fault. But with all due respect to Atari, the publishers of Sid Meier's Pirates!, most of their games appear to have similar problems - have a look in forums that deal with other Atari games, and you'll quickly see a pattern - they seem to want to rush games out the door, leaving the public begging for patches and expansions. I'm not sure if this is intentional, but this happened to me with lots of Atari games recently, while the games themselves are very often spectacular in many ways, especially after the patches come out.
Yes, the game's buggy, but as far as I can see people who have encountered these bugs have not shown any further reluctance to play this game. This can only mean that the game is simply better than the sum of its faults. I myself have yet to encounter the more serious ones, but doubt that they would detract anything from the enjoyment I receive playing it.

Maybe this isn't the game for you, Jando, but that doesn't neccesarily mean no one enjoys it. Civilizations remakes (And there were very many of them, of all different kinds) have proven that old game concepts can thrive if you don't forget what the original was about. I have no doubt that Sid remembers every reason why he designed the original the way he did, and has implemented both this and his ideas of improving upon the old into this marvellous remake.

I just hope that when Sid/Firaxis actually manage to put out a Civ/Col remix, it would make you think twice about what you just said.

No worries.

Sundog
Swabbie

467 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jando wrote:

Which is no different from basically any other fan site for any other game... Followed closely by the "Expansion Disk Suggestions" threads...
dhankskunk
Swabbie

350 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jando wrote:
Well, as far as I am concerned I hope they do not work on Colonization or on the already announced new Civilization but rather get their priorities right first. If Pirates is any indication for Sid Meier's and Firaxis' current focus (rather weak gameplay-wise, dumbed-down content, targeted at the console (XBox) market and North-American kids (the "E" rating), lots of bugs and strange features) then I don't really need a civilization or colonization remake

I think jando has really hit the mark here. This game could be 10 times better if more honest effort were put into it. I understand the profit motive and all that but it often obstructs the complete development of potentially great games like this one. I say shame on Firaxi, Atari & Sid Meier. (not neccesarily in that order)
watson42467
Cutthroat

573 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they're working on an expansion pack for Pirates! with a built in patch. Wishful think probably.
Rock
Cutthroat

7607 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have to say about all of this is that the patch better be a spectacular one. I've been a PC gamer for 18 years and I've never seen an initial patch take this long. Most games would have had 3 patches out by now and yes I know it should all be done in one but still..... I think every game I've owned has had all the patches it was going to get, done within 3 or 4 months of its release. There's just no money in it for the publishers. They consider it "lost profit" time. The only thing they gain from patches is the hope that they can salvage their "good name". That's why the longer it takes the less comfortable I feel about it being released. I know that in many cases, the programmers have to do the patches "on their own time". This can add to the wait time but jeez... when was this game released? November? Sorry to sound so negative.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: