Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Why can't we all just Sail Along?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Why can't we all just Sail Along? Reply with quote

Wheee this is my 200th post, and now over 1% share in this site's posting. My ingenious and highly malicious plan is finally coming to fruition.

But that is beside the point.

What I wanted to ask you guys today is about Fleet Speed. Yes, yes, that upsetting, unstable, unpredictable thing that makes no sense. It is sometimes so frustrating that we choose to sail solo.

Get 8 war canoes (once you get one it should be a snap), then upgrade them all with everything. Now sail out of town and head off in a direction perpendicular to the wind. Going fast, huh? Until, suddenly, your 2nd and 3rd ships start trailing off by just a bit. "C'mon, ye scurvy lubbers!", you yell, but alas, they fall behind, and your ship has to slow down just a bit to get them back in line.

Has this ever happened to you? All ships of the same make and upgrades, but they can't seem to keep up with your flagship at its top speed?

Well frankly it annoys me. It also makes passing near a storm exquisitely pointless. Why speed up if I'm just going to slow down to let the others catch up, losing all the speed advantage I had gained?

Wouldn't it be a better idea that the whole fleet is simply as fast as its slowest ship? If that ship slows down, everyone slows down. In the olden Pirates! days this was the norm - and it worked swell, so why the heck change it?

Is anyone as frustrated as I am about this? Does anyone like it the way it is right now?

Expecting your Cha-Chings, peeps Smile

LosParaZitos
Powder Monkey

229 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point im sick and tired of waiting for my other ships even if they are full of crewmembers and fully upgraded ! for different ships i can understand but i got 4 War galleon one is my flag ship and they are full crewmembers and my 3 others a damn too slower than my flag ship ! is there anythings to do about it ?
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the modders can do anything about this, so I'll move this topic...

That done, I must admit that waiting for those slow ships (even when they are better upgraded than your flag ship) is very annoying. I think the best thing to do would be to just let the slower ships fall behind and NOT wait for them if you don't want to. If they make it to the next town or now is their problem (well, yours too, since you'd lose some cargo and probably some gold).
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
pigo12
Powder Monkey

85 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Why can't we all just Sail Along? Reply with quote

It could depend because:
- you have only 1 route navigation officer (a special item you should have earned during the game) and this officer is boarded only on your flagship;
- other ships may have few crew and this could reduce their speed.
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the navigator only improves the flag-ship's speed (and the navigator skill) then this is plain silly and should be applied to all ships. And yes, I've packed my ships up with crew and it doesn't change anything.
In any case the whole fleet should go as the fast as the slowest ship is going, without having to lunge-forward then slow down and wait - it's killing me.

Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
I don't know if the modders can do anything about this, so I'll move this topic...

That done, I must admit that waiting for those slow ships (even when they are better upgraded than your flag ship) is very annoying. I think the best thing to do would be to just let the slower ships fall behind and NOT wait for them if you don't want to. If they make it to the next town or now is their problem (well, yours too, since you'd lose some cargo and probably some gold).

I agree with Wolf, just leave the slow bugger behind, if you so desire.

As for this aspect of the game. Doesn't it seem like this, shall I say "feature" of the game is just another BAD decision by the designers. Just one bad design decision among many, many bad decisions. If they would have only left the game as it was and then design NEW features into it, it would have been excellent. As it is now it's just very good, with need of changes, fixes and upgrades. Thats too bad. I played the first game many years ago and can see all of these poor design changes in this new game. I however like this new game very much. Even with the poor decisions the design team made. Hopefully the patch will fix this...
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Why can't we all just Sail Along? Reply with quote

headrock wrote:
Wheee this is my 200th post, and now over 1% share in this site's posting. My ingenious and highly malicious plan is finally coming to fruition.

But that is beside the point.

Expecting your Cha-Chings, peeps Smile

What's your "ingenious and highly malicious plan" headrock? I am curious! Confused Oh yeah, congrats on that 200th post, thats Sea-man rank isn't it!! Very Happy

Cha-Ching... Cha-Ching... (Theres 2 fer ya...) Cool
Powder Monkey

85 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the navigator hyphotesis can explain why in a fleet of ships with the same characteristics there are ships that go slower.

According this hyphotesis you could improve your fleet speed (you your fleet is composed by ships of different types) taking the lowest ship as a flagship.

However I always try to avoid to take too longer a galleon or some other trade ships since they make me nervous.
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigo12 wrote:
the navigator hyphotesis can explain why in a fleet of ships with the same characteristics there are ships that go slower.

According this hyphotesis you could improve your fleet speed (you your fleet is composed by ships of different types) taking the lowest ship as a flagship.

However I always try to avoid to take too longer a galleon or some other trade ships since they make me nervous.

I go with a War Canoe Royal Sloop and a couple of Frigates. They are all fast to very fast ships and you can carry lots of men and cargo. Thats my perfect fleet that I use now. Hasn't failed me yet. You can destroy any ship and none will be able to run away from you...
Powder Monkey

85 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you sail with 4 own ships you have space for only 4 other new captured ships; this could necessitate you

a) to sink new captured ships
b) to go more frequently to a city to sell unwanted captured ships

I prefer sail with only 1 ship (war sloop usually) in order to have more space to take captured ship until I find a safe harbor where to sell my goods.
More risk but possibly more reward.
gordon_nicoles
Swabbie

478 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:

That done, I must admit that waiting for those slow ships (even when they are better upgraded than your flag ship) is very annoying. I think the best thing to do would be to just let the slower ships fall behind and NOT wait for them if you don't want to.

Can you let the slower ships fall behind? I thought the game automatically slowed your flagship down when it got too far ahead of your other ships. If there is a way to not have it slow down, please tell me.[/b]
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: I know! I know! Reply with quote

It's because you're such a far superior commander any ship you command can't help but go FASTER than normal. See? You have normal skippers on the other boats, so don't fault them if they aren't:

SUPER SAILORS! <brass, drums, etc.>
Swabbie

1743 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: I know! I know! Reply with quote

Airsaw wrote:
It's because you're such a far superior commander any ship you command can't help but go FASTER than normal. See? You have normal skippers on the other boats, so don't fault them if they aren't:

SUPER SAILORS! <brass, drums, etc.>

Aye, that's likely the problem, Airsaw. Those poor other ships in your fleet are being commandeered by mere mortals, and suffer for it as a result.

Nothing to be done for it, I'm afraid. Wink
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might have something to do with the other ships having minimal crew. I wonder if the ships would all have the same speed if they all had the same crew.l
Emmerson
Swabbie

1743 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Striker wrote:
It might have something to do with the other ships having minimal crew. I wonder if the ships would all have the same speed if they all had the same crew.l

Easiest thing to test that on would be a Canoe Fleet, I'd wager.

Just because you'd need less crew to test it, of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: