Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Swashbuckler Level
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Swashbuckler Level Reply with quote

Well, I finally made it to Swash level and gave it a try. Everything is harder here than in Rogue level and that is both good and bad. Yes, it is challenging but for me it proved a bit too hard. The good thing is I made it to Governor and scored 105, of which I'm faily proud. How have others done at Swash level? There are probley some out there who have scored 126 but I'm not so sure I could ever score that high at this level. I've reached 126 at Rogue and Adventurer. Here's a shore recap:

Got all nine named pirates. This was not much harder than the other levels. You MUST attack from upwind and have a good sized crew, also hit them with a full load of grapeshot just before boarding and you should do fine. I did not have to re-load the game with named pirates.

Found all 9 treasures, no change from Rogue level.

Found Raymondo and Montabaln on the high seas and defeated them. They are tougher than at the lower levels. Montalbaln is very tough. His 40 guns rain death if you do not dodge them. I got sunk by both of these guys and had t re-load the game twice to beat them.

I found Montalbaln's hideout and beat his army of Indians with no problem.

I did reasonably well with the dancing, about 50 percent success with the beautiful girls and higher than that with the other girls.

The problems I had were 1) after defeating Montalbaln's army of Indians I could not out-fence him. Tried 4 times and he is just too fast, and 2) could not out-fence the jealous suitors of the beautiful girls. Again, they are too fast for me. So, I could not get the 2 points for defeating Montalbaln and since I did not get him, it became very difficult to get the Indian Cities. Did not get any of the Lost cities. Also, married an attractive girl instead of a beauty. Also, I missed out on 3 wealth points because I did not get the 100,000 from Montalbaln or 200,000 from the Lost Cities.

I think I'll stay at Rogue level. You have to be just too fast at fencing for me!!! Glad to make Governor but Swash is just too intense!!! Do others feel this way too?
Thanks for the feedback........Salty Rolling Eyes
Captain Squid
Seaman

4360 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I wrong or are there harder dances that only show up at Swash? I had trouble with the fencing at first but (thanks to this forum) learned what it took to beat even Montalban at that level. The dancing, though...that was tough. I play at Swash sometimes, just to prove to myself I can do it, but most of the time I play at Rogue. It's a good challenge without making me work too hard.
Mr. Matt
Powder Monkey

60 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I don't think it's that big of a jump to Swashbuckler level. It's not easy, sure, but the jump itself doesn't seem all that high to me. I mean, the jump from apprentice to Journeyman is very big, and can catch you out in your first sword fight at that level. But I found that because of the gradual nature of the increase in difficulty from then on I didn't really have too many problems. Except for if you reach Swashbuckler level when you're an old guy, in which case fencing becomes frickin' tough...
I try to start out at Swashbuckler level so you can get a large share of the loot from the beginning Very Happy. Much easier to amass a small fortune that way...

So far as the Flag Galleons/War Galleons hitting me with a full broadside goes... they have to aim at me first Very Happy. It's not all that easy to get a determined sloop in your weapons arc before it gets within boarding range...
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Excellent response! Reply with quote

Mr. Matt,
You scored a 10 on that response! I think you are right, by the time I reached Monty's hideout and fought for my wife I was too old and had slowed down! I'll try again. This time really try to speed things up for those two specifice events, get Monty and a beautiful daughter as soon as possible. That may be the secret at Swash level!
Thanks again for the excellent answer!
Salty Cool
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Matt wrote:

So far as the Flag Galleons/War Galleons hitting me with a full broadside goes... they have to aim at me first Very Happy. It's not all that easy to get a determined sloop in your weapons arc before it gets within boarding range...
Another candidate for the War Canoe.
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Rupert, this forum practically mass-produces them, dunnit?
I can't say I wouldn't have eventually tried it if I hadn't come here, but the posts about war canoes here have surely boosted my interest Very Happy
(And thankfully so, that little darty zippy thing is soooo sweeeeet)

rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headrock wrote:
Yeah Rupert, this forum practically mass-produces them, dunnit?
I can't say I wouldn't have eventually tried it if I hadn't come here, but the posts about war canoes here have surely boosted my interest Very Happy
(And thankfully so, that little darty zippy thing is soooo sweeeeet)
Like a Jaguar XKE vs Caterpillar.
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have no idea how great it is to drive a bulldozer around though, especially when you actually get to bulldoze something Smile

Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: rogue vs. swash Reply with quote

Hmmm...there's a fine line sometimes between fun and work. I find I have to work to play rogue, but not so tediously as to make it not much fun to do. Swash, I thought, just intensifies the requirements...as was mentioned largely in the area of speed. That just adds a frenetic edge to it that takes the fun away for me, at any rate.

Since I fancy myself to be fairly GOOD at video games, and most games as well, I thought it was imperative to play the highest level as a rule, but in this game that isn't so appealing because I "play" to have "fun".

I also view these sorts of programs as a sort of digital Rubic's cube written by a group of people as a challenge to gamers, and I've not let ONE of these programs whooop me yet, in all these years. And, I ain'ta gonna let this one whip me either. SO, I eventually plan to play each country, each starting time at swash, getting the 126 and there you go, guv.

However, it will be a major undertaking, and "when I have time to do it" looms large as a consideration. Because, as I said, it's not fun, it's more like work. The fun in this level is in having accomplished it, not necessarily in the accomplishing of it. But, I'll get it done eventually just to say I did it.

Yet, I think to enjoy myself throughout a game that isn't a cakewalk, I'll play rogue level...for fun. I'm a chess player, so what I call fun may not be fun for others. I judge video games on how close they come to the game of chess as far as moves, strategy, prizes, etc. This one, Pirates! may not be as intricate in the strategy department, but it is still challenging enough. I don't really think making things faster makes them more challenging, just more difficult, which isn't necessarily fun.

good college: What is the square root of pi?

difficult college: Stand on your head, balance this teacup on your nose, then tell me the square root of pi.

Sometimes making things harder doesn't necessarily make them better.
Powder Monkey

125 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im playing on swash level from the moment i got this game...today, i tried rogue level and it's way easier imo (especially sword duels)...i'll stick to highest level, since it's not that hard for me i think (i'm quite satisified with my results so far at least Wink)...
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headrock wrote:
You have no idea how great it is to drive a bulldozer around though, especially when you actually get to bulldoze something Smile
Have you been able to bulldoze a fort with a SotL?? Just wondering if large ship bombarding a fort will smash it.
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
headrock wrote:
Have you been able to bulldoze a fort with a SotL?? Just wondering if large ship bombarding a fort will smash it.

I think that one Ship of the Line would be hard-pressed to take on a well built fortification, but would make short work of a simple fort. The problem is that a land based fort could heat shot. This is pretty scarry for a ship that is mostly flameble. I think that most navel attacks on fortifications were two pronged affairs. The ship would keep the guns busy while marines assaulted the fortifications.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Tried it again... Reply with quote

I tried Swash level again. This time in a war canoe. It's hard to start out that way. Before you get the good shirts and swords, you are not quick enough to finish off Raymondo or some of the named pirates. I went after Raymondo with 70 guys against his 170 and he stalled me enough so I ran out of sailors and had to surrender. Same thing happened when I took on Mayonasse, we went back-and-forth for 5 minutes and I ran out of men. Taunting was not enough! Looks to me like you have to get some special items before you can tangle with the tough guys with only a war canoe-sized crew! I had to revert back to Rogue level, which seems easy to me now but is much more enjoyable. At least I 'm now a happy war canoe Rogue! Thanks guys!
Salty (one of the old farts on this board) Rolling Eyes
Give em a Broadside!!
Powder Monkey

753 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that at Swash level, I can't win a single swordfight, and the dances are extremely difficult....alot faster! As far as the fencing is concerned, I'm relatively new to this game, only had it a week, so I'm sure there is something I'm not doing right, or have yet to learn. I guess maybe I should stick to the lower levels longer to learn more. Everytime I divide the plunder, I went ahead and went up a level. Got up high pretty quickly, but again, have to reload the game many times when it comes to fencing. ALWAYS get my butt handed to me...literally!

Gar!!!
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give em a Broadside!! wrote:
I've found that at Swash level, I can't win a single swordfight, and the dances are extremely difficult....alot faster! As far as the fencing is concerned, I'm relatively new to this game, only had it a week, so I'm sure there is something I'm not doing right, or have yet to learn. I guess maybe I should stick to the lower levels longer to learn more. Everytime I divide the plunder, I went ahead and went up a level. Got up high pretty quickly, but again, have to reload the game many times when it comes to fencing. ALWAYS get my butt handed to me...literally!

Gar!!!
Small tactical changes are all that is needed to fence at Swash.

1) Always take Fencing as your skill. Makes you faster.

2) When you are just starting out, only attack merchant types. The Military, Pirates, Treasure Ships, and many Smugglers are just too difficult to handle for now.

3) Seek out the Attractive Daughters. Dancing yields rewards! Take the Fencing gear first. Return and give her the ring for more gear. Romance enough Attractive Daughters and you should have all the trinkets you would ever want for successful plundering.

4) Now you should be able to attack anything that sails!

5) If you have any difficulty now, remember you only use the Rapier! (Fencing speed is the key.)

6) You only attack while fencing! Use the 1, 7 and maybe 4. Sometimes they will fall even faster when you attack high, but usually they fall fastest with the low attacks. "Board and cut their legs off."

7) Get married to that Beautiful daughter while you are still young enough to flatten her suitor. He is the best fencer in the entire game.

8 ) Get Montalban next! Waiting until you are old is not going to help.

With Rapier, all of the fencing gear and skill in Fencing you will be the fastest swordfighter on the entire Spanish Main. (Until age creeps up on you.)

Swash Fencing is easy. Speed is the key.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: