Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Ship of the Line Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gandalf
Swabbie

355 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first SotL I saw was English near St. Kitts and it is heading toward an English port I was blockading. I did not check where it left port last, probably Barbados though.

Basicaslly this was the first one I saw after about 50+ years of game time (over several games). And once I used it, I was not so thrilled to use even a fully kitted one. Neutral
duong
Powder Monkey

80 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey Rupe, is there an echo in here??

sorry about repeating rupert's post but he must have posted just as i was typing up my reply because i didnt see any replies at the time.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: it's a puzzlement Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
Just seems that the SotL is quite rare.

Or is it that the game requires a bit of maturation, with the aforementioned "style of play" to kinda coax things along? Don't ask me. I'm the guy picking fights in the war room!

(The first one I saw was English, between Havana and Florida Keys. I was English at the time and had to attack my own folks to own it. [rogue level] The general thrust of this game was a heavy offensive against Spain for a number of years, working in complete cooperation with England. I strengthened England over the course of the game, and England was going for Spain with great vigor. Late in the game, I see the fabled "New Warship", attacked and it was the SotL.)

"It makes you have to learn how to spell 'splendiferous' just to write home about it!" Mark Twain
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gandalf wrote:

this was the first one I saw after about 50+ years of game time (over several games). And once I used it, I was not so thrilled to use even a fully kitted one. Neutral

Same for me. Maybe I was caught up in a style of play using a Brig of War. When I captured the only SotL I've seen (so far), I immediately attacked with it. It's a nice looking ship, handled well, and the firepower was devastating, but I couldn't help wishing I'd kept the BoW.
Powder Monkey

392 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I royally pissed off the English, converted every possible city of theirs to Dutch... and never saw a SotL Laughing I figured Henry Morgan's Large Frigate will just have to do for me.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Tyme wrote:
I royally pissed off the English, converted every possible city of theirs to Dutch... and never saw a SotL Laughing I figured Henry Morgan's Large Frigate will just have to do for me.
Just as a point of logic if you convert all their cities, they will prob. not produce a SOTL. Less places to come from!

Mangle their shipping has more promise.
Keel Hauler
Powder Monkey

179 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airsaw wrote:
Gandalf wrote:

this was the first one I saw after about 50+ years of game time (over several games). And once I used it, I was not so thrilled to use even a fully kitted one. Neutral

Same for me. Maybe I was caught up in a style of play using a Brig of War. When I captured the only SotL I've seen (so far), I immediately attacked with it. It's a nice looking ship, handled well, and the firepower was devastating, but I couldn't help wishing I'd kept the BoW.

I don't think it has anything to do with game age. I was plundering under the Spanish flag to get my Spanish Duke ranking before switching over to one of the other nations and beating up on Spain. Fifteen minutes into the game (or so) I captured a SotL sailing out of Barbados. I'd taken only two or three English ships so they weren't furious with me yet, so maybe there is a more random element to it.
As far as the SotL goes...it's a great ship! Nothing like 48 cannon blast of grape shot to dessimate an enemy crew. Nice speed and takes a beating. grab 'em whenever you can.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: I got a SOL once Reply with quote

I've only seen one and I captured it. It was in 1673 and spawned just SW of the eastern tip of Cuba, near the straights between Cuba and Haiti. I had previously attacked Grand Bahama and Nassau and converted them to other nations but I was not waging total war on England, just being an normal opportunist. It seemed to be a random spawning. It looked just like any Frigate and was not marked as a New Warship. I went near it and it said it was a SOL so I grabbed it and really enjoyed the rest of the game. Sort of like driving an original HumVee !!!
Sallty Cool
Bloody Chuck
Powder Monkey

305 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys, get this. My sister plays this game too, and what does she come across one day but an SOTL. She was elated. But the firepower was a little much sometimes. Great for sinking ships but not for capturing them. So she sees a treasure galleon and wants to get her paws on the dough without sinking it, so she switches her flagship to a fully stocked sloop and attacks it. Then she sails to the nearest port and divides the plunder without switching the SOTL back to flagship. She was so pissed. It had me in stitches.
Sonicsfan
Cutthroat

1729 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woman hé Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: