Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Boosting morale - the Pirates way!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheresthatparot
Powder Monkey

707 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Boosting morale - the Pirates way! Reply with quote

Hey, I thought I'd pass this on.

After 39 months at sea and with 57,000 in gold my crew got so stroppy that they mutinied and took my best ship and a swag of gold! So in my typical pirate fashion I said 'Arggh - the @#%## swabs'll see a cold day in hell before I let them get away with that!'

So i prompltyattacked the blighters and stormed the ship, took it back, and the crew were happy again and haven't complained since! Something about making an example of malcontents!!
pec
Powder Monkey

476 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my crew is about 100 and my treasure is about 350000 and theyr happy as puppies. will keep it that way to the glorious end:)
pigo12
Powder Monkey

85 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Boosting morale - the Pirates way! Reply with quote

I had a similar experience but my crew did not come back happy ... so I had to go to a nearby town and divide my plunder.

At this time i follow this kind of strategy:
until my treasure grow at good levels I always try to have a small number of people (maybe around 100) on my ship to avoid that the crew become too hungry, I have to divide my plunder and wait for several months before I can restart the pirate life.
El Rapido
Powder Monkey

0 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip for playing: Try to make as much gold as you can and keep your crew small at the start, let's say 60 to 100 men. You can avoid MUTINIES and DIVIDE THE PLUNDER with this strategy.

Aye, maties!

Me an' my ransackin' crew be on da sea for 98 months an' we hav' gathered a fine loot o' 251216 gold dublons! Yeah! Harharhar! Twisted Evil

Sometimes 5 to 10 swabberish fishbaits leave me crew, when we're in town, but da whole crew still is UNHAPPY.
Dhad be okay for me, 'cause I don' want 'em to kiss me boots or havin a dumb grin in dheir face all day, so dhad I gotta cut it out - hehe.
Dhey oughta be rough bloodthirsty seadogs, so they oughta be unhappy! Twisted Evil

Now, where's me booze?
Aye, that cursed jellyfish stole it! Arrrrr! To hell with ya, jellyfish! Very Happy

notyouravgjoe
Powder Monkey

7 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good strategy is to divide plunder when you have your first lost city map. First find the city, then go dance with beautiful daughters and get more map pieces. Do this for all of the lost cities and then you can complete alot of other various tasks and your crew will be happy for many years.

I do this when I need to find all of my relatives, treasures, capture all the pirates, etc.
Mycroft Stanyer
Seaman

2709 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Boosting morale - the Pirates way! Reply with quote

wheresthatparot wrote:
...So i prompltyattacked the blighters and stormed the ship, took it back, and the crew were happy again and haven't complained since! Something about making an example of malcontents!!

The downside is that you lost a portion of your crew. In fact, this is probably why the crew morale picked up— with less hands on call, the individual payout to the surviving crew picked up quite a bit (less hands all around to take their fair share of the plunder).

Less crew means less prizing, or loss of fighting effectiveness when attempting to prize a target ship.
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should point out that unhappy crew don't do as well in land battles and crew-crew fights. I'm sure there are other advantages to high morale, but it seems like just those are enough.

Like my fossa? He's a pirate! Razz
roddrip
Powder Monkey

1203 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing i find helpful when about to divide the plunder is to lose most of your crew through a bad duel on a ship, or by attempting to sack a town and completely losing or by succedding and losing half my men in the process. It can be good to keep the rest of the crew happy with their share of the plunder, and thus having a better starting morale on your next voyage.

btw has anyone ever started out with a very happy crew?
Mycroft Stanyer
Seaman

2709 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only up to Adventurer level, but I've divided with a share of 150 gold to each crew, and came back into the venture with a Very Happy crew.

And that was on a rather tepid venture, too.

If that's typical in order to get a VH crew on the next venture, then there's no problem on my part in dividing. But I suspect it'd get tighter with the higher difficulties.
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always make sure I've sold all of my excess ships to minimize the number of crew I have before dividing. This also adds a bit to the amount each crewman gets.

Like my fossa? He's a pirate! Razz
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one thing I noticed when I divided the plunder last night. I had about 150 men, but I sold off all my goods and ships except my War Canoe. When I sold that, it asked if I really want to lose 75 men. I said yes, so I only had 75 men left to divide plunder with (and they were no longer angry, come to think of it).

thedon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CGM3
Gunner

12612 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to find Montalban's lair as soon as possible; defeating him gets you 100,000 in gold, which usually cheers your crew. If you can quickly follow that with a Lost City (another 50K), you'll be set up nicely. Just keep adding to the kitty.

Before you find Montalban, a judicious buried treasure or two -- followed, if necessary, by the Named Pirate from whom you, er, appropriated it -- helps morale.
Cap'n Tiger
Powder Monkey

509 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestions on getting a very happy crew? I'm sailing around with a crew of between 400 & 500 with 1.4 million in gold and they are content. I will certainly take a content crew, but a happy or very happy crew would be great!

BTW, I like having a large crew so I can capture Panama and Gran Granada when I am in the neighborhood. Very Happy
Bloody William Flint
Swabbie

207 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Boosting morale - the Pirates way! Reply with quote

good idea wheresthatparot ill have to do that next time they do that to me i didn't think of that when they were sailing away with one of me ships
rescorla
Powder Monkey

127 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: morale Reply with quote

I've found a good way to keep the crew in line: when you have over 200 and they are bitching to divide the plunder, try and sack a big town like havance and send as may of them up against the cavalry as possible. You flee but you have just gotten half your crew smoked and the morale tends to go up as the shares are bigger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: