Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Black Sails - anyone watching?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Black Sails - anyone watching? Reply with quote

I've seen two episodes of this thus far and it seems decent enough. Hasn't really grabbed me yet, though.

The plot delves around a Spanish Gold Fleet schedule that various pirate captains try to get into their possession. Really makes me think of Pirates!

Anyone else have opinions?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2375692/combined
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Season 1 is now ended; a whopping eight episodes in all. I've watch them all, and while the story is slow to get going and does center on Captain Flint and the crew of the "Walrus" there are some good (not great) portrayals of pirate life as well as some historical pirates (though after the amount of research I've done on the era and after playing Assassin's Creed IV the "historical" characters are more like historically named characters, not accurately portrayed at all, but I digress). Overall, it's decent and I'm excited for Season 2, coming this fall. Hopefully the story will pick up a bit, but other than that...
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those rare occasions when I might regret not having cable TV. (Normally, the only cable program I really miss is South Park.)

On a related note . . . I am currently listening to a recording of Headhunters on My Doorstep: A True Treasure Island Ghost Story. The author, J. Maarten Troost, travels the islands of the South Pacific, following the trail of Robert Louis Stevenson, who visited the same islands 120 years earlier, ultimately dying in Samoa. In the course of his travels he also comes across the trails of artist Paul Gauguin and adventurer Thor Heyerdahl.
Amaroy
Swabbie

1758 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw season one and I liked it. It´s a nice idea to combine fictional characters from R.L.Stevenson´s Treasure Island with real pirates of reknown like Charles Vane and Jack Rackham. I also liked to get a view on pirate´s everydaylife including the sexy bordello scenes Cool
Nevertheless the Story probably could have been shown in less than 8 episodes so far. I hope the next season will be shown on german TV. The viewing figures were pretty bad here. They moved it from prime time to late night. Sad
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68793 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, Amroy. I heard that pirate fiction is popular in Germany, but I've never been there, so what do I know?
Amaroy
Swabbie

1758 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Blue wrote:
Interesting, Amroy. I heard that pirate fiction is popular in Germany, but I've never been there, so what do I know?

Yes "Pirates of the Caribbean" with Johnny Depp is very popular in Germany but there are also several TV productions for example remakes of "Treasure Island" with german actors that are quite good. I also like so called "Docutainments" which tell about pirates´life showing history in replayed scenes.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amaroy wrote:
Mr. Blue wrote:

Yes "Pirates of the Caribbean" with Johnny Depp is very popular in Germany but there are also several TV productions for example remakes of "Treasure Island" with german actors that are quite good. I also like so called "Docutainments" which tell about pirates´life showing history in replayed scenes.

I love those; but unfortunately thar arrrn't many in th' U S of A. Got any ye could recommend?
Amaroy
Swabbie

1758 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I love those; but unfortunately thar arrrn't many in th' U S of A. Got any ye could recommend?

These come into my mind:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0893548/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0492448/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
Red Rabbit
Cutthroat

327 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the very good "docutainment" is Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire. Specially episode 3 is great, and episode 1 about Nero, the actor in main role does amazing and chilling job showing what a degenerated scum Nero was (well all the acting is fantastic; it's BBC production and those Brits know how to make a good plays; it's the culture, uknow Shakespeare).

But back to the topic:
Anyone excited of Black Sails season 3 (first episode aires 23rd day, this Saturday)?
That series really got better towards the end of the season 2.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Rabbit wrote:
One of the very good "docutainment" is Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire. Specially episode 3 is great, and episode 1 about Nero, the actor in main role does amazing and chilling job showing what a degenerated scum Nero was (well all the acting is fantastic; it's BBC production and those Brits know how to make a good plays; it's the culture, uknow Shakespeare).

But back to the topic:
Anyone excited of Black Sails season 3 (first episode aires 23rd day, this Saturday)?
That series really got better towards the end of the season 2.

I love that documentary!

Aye, I am eagerly awaiting it. It did get good and I look forward to seeing where it goes.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. I will search my TIVO for Ancient Rome. I love these t types of shows.

Until this week, I had only seen the first two Harry Potter movies. I set one of my TIVO Romaio Pros to search for and record all eight movies in High Def. It did and collected all eight of them. I have been watching them this past week and finished seeing them last night. They were on the ABC Family Channel (now called Freeform) and absolutely LACED with commercials. With my TIVO, I can quickly skip over the commercials and cut huge amounts off the time.

The movies had amazing special effect but a very weird plot. I enjoyed watching them but there was so much going on and so many small details that were hard to hear or pick up. You needed to read the books to completely follow the story and I did not do that. At least I am finally current on this series now.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: