Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

The Return to Zork!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaxonWaxov
Cutthroat

2424 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: The Return to Zork! Reply with quote

You guys remember this game and how amazing we all thought it was?

God, it had like 30 installation disks (3 1/2 inch floppies)
Guidon666
Cutthroat

2854 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the Zork games. How easily we were intertained by text based games.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: HELP! HELP! Reply with quote

I read this string and immediately put "Zork" into a Google search, wham, bam thank-you ma'am. So, I downloaded Zork one through three, all zip files. I do as instructed in the readme file, and all I get is a flash of the command prompt window, then nada.

COULD ANYONE help me out here? I run Windows XP Home. How can I get this fabulous game to WORK????? If you have any suggestions, I'm begging, here. PULEEEEEEEEEZE, have mercy on a Zork Freak!

"Zork"
"At your service!"
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could tinker with Compatability for the program.
Right click on it. Click on compatability, try Win95 for a starter.

Then go over to Civilization Fanatics and check out their clues for running older Sid Meier (dos) games on windows.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
You could tinker with Compatability for the program.
Right click on it. Click on compatability, try Win95 for a starter.

Then go over to Civilization Fanatics and check out their clues for running older Sid Meier (dos) games on windows.

Thanks, rupert. I'm on my way.
JayJester
Powder Monkey

157 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm such a cheater at zork. I'd play for like 5 minutes, give up and follow the cheat guide. Shame on me, I'm such a dirty cheater.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayJester wrote:
I'm such a cheater at zork...

There's cheating, then there's cheating. I'm the "other" kind. I played bootleg copies on my Atari 800XL. Then, I didn't have the luxury of any printed material explaining what I was trying to do. That made it all the more mysterious, I guess. I DID draw some fabulously colored maps of all the mazes, though, from memory.
PrinceScamp
Gunner

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayJester wrote:
I'm such a cheater at zork. I'd play for like 5 minutes, give up and follow the cheat guide. Shame on me, I'm such a dirty cheater.

harr... i usually do that when i get the cheats for the game, then i get bored of it, then a few months later i am back, playing it without or with onnly a couple of cheats.
320.9 SCAMP'S STOP
PrinceScamp
Gunner

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is ZORK? Smile
320.9 SCAMP'S STOP
Swordhawk
Powder Monkey

382 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone remember the game like Zork (put out by the same folks i believe) where you controlled 5 robots spread out thru a space station? robots were roughly named after the 5 senses, ie Iris was the eyes robot.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Zork in a grue Reply with quote

PrinceScamp wrote:
what is ZORK? Smile

Zork is one of the earliest computer games. It doesn't count as a video game, as there were no graphics, only white letters on a blue screen.

The game writers set up a map, much the same as video games with maps and hidden objects, only you can't see this map. You must imagine it and hold it in your memory. You zip through the map using various objects in various ways to get through it and achieve a goal to win.

Playing it "flatfooted" was fun for me, because it responds to commands, and you have to try various words to get responses. Some work, some don't. You're using a DOS interface with command prompts. To go north, you type "N". To go south, you type "S", etc. Some simple commands were, to say... pick up a book of matches, "take matches". You could "read matchbook", stuff was written on it. Some things led you somewhere, some didn't. YOU had to figure out through trial and error, or intuition and memory, how to make things work to lead you through the maze. An example, the game tells you:

>You are in a large drafty room. To the north is a high window. To the south is a door that appears to be locked. To the west is a tunnel. To the east is a tunnel.
(you then wish to go west so, you type that command)
>W
(it then tells you where you now are)
>You are in a dark room.
(dark rooms are dangerous, and it was important to carry some means of light with you, because if you took a step in the dark...)
>W
>You have been eaten by a grue!
(a grue is a monster that eats you, and now you're dead and have to start over!) So, the screen would look like this when you played (without my comments included):

>You are in a large drafty room. To the north is a high window. To the south is a door that appears to be locked. To the west is a tunnel. To the east is a tunnel.
>W
>You are in a dark room.
>W
>You have been eaten by a grue!

That, in short, is Zork. The writers were shrewd puzzle makers, game designers and it was very intuitive, amusing, and at times thrilling to play.
PrinceScamp
Gunner

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played a similar game called "heist", that one was a little melencholic though...
320.9 SCAMP'S STOP
Nukenin
Swabbie

1497 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swordhawk wrote:
anyone remember the game like Zork (put out by the same folks i believe) where you controlled 5 robots spread out thru a space station? robots were roughly named after the 5 senses, ie Iris was the eyes robot.

This game was Suspended.

http://www.csd.uwo.ca/Infocom/ is a good repository of information on the old Infocom classics.

If you'd like to revisit the days of text adventures, or interactive fiction (IF) as we now call it, check out Fredrik Ramsberg's A Beginner's Guide to Playing Interactive Fiction or Brass Lantern's Beginner Resources for IF. Baf's Guide to the Interactive Fiction Archive is an invaluable resource to the contemporary IF games that are out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: