Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Which ship do you prefer and why?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which ship do you prefer and why?
War Canoe
18%
 18%  [ 10 ]
Pinnance
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Brigantine
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Barque
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Brig
16%
 16%  [ 9 ]
Merchant of any type
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Galleon of any type
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Frigate
22%
 22%  [ 12 ]
Ship of the Line
25%
 25%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 54

ongwin
Powder Monkey

119 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brig of war is the ruler of the high seas! It has the best combination of speed, damage control, cannons, crew (300 with hammock), sharp turning etc.... Ever since I captured a brig of war from a named pirate, I never let go of it, because it is really the most balanced and definitely the best ship around!
Cagekeeper
Swabbie

1000 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized on the way home from work that I forgot to enter the sloop. I said to myself, "Oh crap! I forgot the sloop!" Soory all you sloop lovers out there. It was an unintentional ommission on my part. If I could edit the poll to include it, I most certainly would.
Kensai
Seaman

1462 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the Brig fans.
The Brig of War is the best.
I normally used a Large Frigate, but I´m tired the dull way in what she moves upwind. Brig is better, and still you have 32 cannons.

In never used or saw any SOTL...and I´m not in the mood to waist an entire game waiting that the "Opera Diva" decides to show her beatifull ass to me.
I tried one, never again. Cool
Redback
Powder Monkey

129 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOL gets my vote. Although in a tight fight when you're going up against a very menouverable ship my vote goes to a Sloop of War (full optioned with all the upgrades).

My fleet consists of a SOL, 2 sloop of war, and a Frigate. All with full upgrade.
I've almost converted the entire carribean under the rule of France. only 4 major cities left 2 spanish, 1 English and 1 dutch.

My plan is after converting the entire carribean to France, I'd start the conversion to English, then dutch.

Vive Le France Smile
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote? You know what ship, and you know why. If you don't, go read a FAQ or something. (Wink)

Strange
Swabbie

2194 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for the Mail Runner and the Royal Sloop (I keep seeming to go back and forth betweet the two). It's a tradeoff between the 2, Mail Runner is faster and better turning, while Royal Sloop holds more men and cannons, and while not as manuverable as the Mail Runner, still manuverable enough.
Saranis
Swabbie

437 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royal Sloop, SotL, then Mail Runner.

" The Washington Capitals may have got the next 'Bourque' in this draft." NY Times.
I guess being the son of Ray Bourque doesnt make you a Bourque until you've proven it on the ice eh?
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad I am not happy with the performance of the mail runner. I have a fully decked out one right now and it doesn't perform as well as my previous war canoe. I am about ready to capture me another war canoe.
Corsair
Powder Monkey

270 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Ship of the Line
2. Large Frigate
3. Frigate
4. Royal Sloop

After that who cares. The SotL is by far the best ship to have. All by it's lonesome you can carry tons of guns and plenty of other stuff not to mention a few hundred guys.

Yeah pinnaces are hard to hit, but in an SotL (or any upgraded frigate type), who cares? They can withstand TONS of pounding. Fighting a 40-gun galleon? Sail right at her. No big whoop.

SotL sinks ships too easy? 1) Carry fewer cannons. If you lose some, get them off the ship you capture. 2) Switch ammo midfire.

As for speed, very few ships can escape an upgraded SotL. If you choose to engage the enemy ship wisely, about 10% pinnaces might get away.

If you simply MUST go small I like the Royal Sloop. Carries 20 guns with at least enough space for food and upgraded allows for 187 men. Plenty fast and maneuverable too.
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corsair wrote:
After that who cares. The SotL is by far the best ship to have. All by it's lonesome you can carry tons of guns and plenty of other stuff not to mention a few hundred guys.

Tell that to the SofLs that I have plundered and sunk with my war canoe. Twisted Evil
David983es
Powder Monkey

291 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scottb2455 wrote:
Where's the Royal sloop? It is by far my favorite all decked out. In the beginning of the game I just camp outside a Spanish port and within a few kills I get one, use it all game. And usually the Spanish are kind enough to give at least of few of the upgrades, nice fellows that they are.
Scott

Must agree, it is fast, carries 20 canon, 40 tons of goods. Sails in all directions, and with all the upgrades, it can be one of the deadliest out there with 187 crew.
Fuzzy
Swabbie

566 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, sloops are deadly with under 100 men as long as you don't drop below 70. The reason I say seventy is that it is hard to haul a valuable ship back to port with only 50 men on your flag ship going against the wind. When I use sloops, the only time I carry more than a hundred men is to attack a town. Around 80 men is easy to keep happy while still being able to hold there own.
DrBeast
Cutthroat

5316 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I even need to add any comment? Just look around in this forum and you'll see tons of things I've said and showed about the war canoe! Fits my game strategy like a glove!
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to pick Mail Runner, and if I can't get one of those, a royal sloop. I don't like the big huge ships(read: anything larger than the royal sloop Very Happy ) because they slow me down. Sometimes I will use pinnace.

Like my fossa? He's a pirate! Razz
Bloody Chuck
Powder Monkey

305 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: sotl Reply with quote

I use an SOTL. My only beef with it is that it's slow upwind, but it's other advantages outweigh the dowside. With triple hammocks, you can fit over 400 crew on an SOTL, which makes it a perfect invasion ship. With 48 guns, there's hardly a ship out there that can sink one before it sinks them, and it'll take more hits than any other ship in the game. One or two barrages from an SOTL is enough to sink most other ships, and a single barrage of chain shot is usually enough to take out ther masts.
A useful tip: if you simply want to take out the ships guns without accidentaly sinking the damned thing, loose the first volley away from the ship, missing it intentionally. Then come about and fire on it before your guns full reload, resulting in a smaller volley that will only damage the ship, not sink it. Of course, this technique requires that you use less crew so that you don't reload too fast. Seems funny, giving advice on how to reload slower, but such is power and majesty of an SOTL. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: