Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Which ship do you prefer and why?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which ship do you prefer and why?
War Canoe
18%
 18%  [ 10 ]
Pinnance
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Brigantine
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Barque
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Brig
16%
 16%  [ 9 ]
Merchant of any type
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Galleon of any type
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Frigate
22%
 22%  [ 12 ]
Ship of the Line
25%
 25%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 54

Cap'n Tiger
Powder Monkey

509 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to run a royal sloop. It's an elegant little ship with good firepower. A SotL crossed my path and I captured it with my royal sloop, I've been using the SofL ever since. For a while I kept the royal sloop as a back-up but found I never used it. When I captured my second SotL, I sold the sloop and now cruise the Carribean with two Sotls.

While playing today a third SotL crossed my path. I let it go as I am trying to kiss and make up with the country and I don't need a third SotL in my armada.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I answered this question some months ago. Now I'd have a different answer. I've been playing a guy, not saving the game, but just using "arrival" to restart games if I have to do something trivial...like sleep!

Playing this way is a little fatalistic, and not much for long-term planning. So, when he (Sinbarba - "No Beard"), captured ships (at first), they were kept as flag ships if they were upgraded better and AS useable as the one he was on at the time. So, he's skippered a Royal Sloop, Brig of War, Frigate...started in a brig. NOW, after using a War Galleon for a spell, he's settled on using Montebaln's fully-upgraded Flag Galleon.

The thinking with that is, he's Spanish. Why not make him use a Spanish boat! I may break down and go for a SotL, if one shows up. But, I'd have to win the argument with myself. "Relampagos" (Lightning), will likely be the ship on which Sinbarba wins.

Why not use a galleon? The flag galleon is a good ship. I cringe at the thought of being attacked by two brigantines, but only if I wish to resell the boats, not sink them. The crew size can handle any stray sloop which wanders too close, and boards. Besides, it looks JUST like a pirate ship!

Yo ho ho! Any ship, so long as it's upgraded, and not a barq, fluyt, or merchant vessel of any kind.
Eskimo_pirat
Swabbie

92 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to use a Mail-Runner, but if I do not have any, then I prefer to use a Brigantine - Not too big and in the other hand not too little. Full upgraded can have 187 men under me with the Brigantine. With the Mail-Runner full upgraded can I have 120 men. The ship is GREAT to use, can sail against the wind - A good allround ship, better than sloop's.
Bloody William Flint
Swabbie

207 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: that ship & why Reply with quote

my fav is the war Gallion its big fast & Strong & made for fighting
Cussler
Cutthroat

2686 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, I have to say the Large Frigate is my favorite warship, especially if I'm an English pirate. I downloaded several flag mods, and seeing the Union Jack fluttering in the breeze from the mast of a Frigate of any kind is inspiring. Ships of the Line are okay, but I'm leary of the 48 cannons, and I usually never have more than 300 men anyway, so I don't try too hard to get a SotL. In fact, it's a lot more fun to me to sink a SotL than to do the sinking in a SotL.

But I must also go the opposite end of the spectrum and say that my second favorite is the War Canoe. I never plundered more ships, and ended the game with more gold then when I was using a War Canoe. I also got the highest bounty on my head when used the Canoe strategy. Being able to zip around quickly was the best, and the small crew resulted in longer voyages before I needed to divide the plunder.
Grimmelshausen
Cutthroat

1811 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Brig of War would be prefered. Enough firepower and standing capability to match a Flag Galleon and fast and agile. I only wished it wouldn´t put the frigate into second rank.
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up on Airsaw's comments and decided to start using the fully outfitted War Galleon I stole from Raymondo. I have to admit, if your goal is to attack as many ships as possible without getting sunk, AND without having to make for port after every battle to repair your damage, you cannot beat the War Galleon.

I've gone into battle with 30% sail damage and over 40% hull damage and still rose victorious. It carries 32 cannon, it takes a LOT to disable her, and it handles surprisingly well in a sea battle.

I've had several pirate hunters come after me in sloops (one French city, Guadaloupe, sent a pirate hunter in a pinnace!!), fire off a round, then turn tail and run. I didn't catch them, of course, but I did sink a few balls into their hulls.

The biggest challenge so far has been getting close enough to the Treasure Galleons to board without getting pummelled by THEIR guns... but that's what I keep the mail runner for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LordMonadire
Powder Monkey

75 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royal Sloop seems best so far but I have not tried a frigate yet. Speed and agility will help you avoid damage with enough crew and cannon to be a potent pirate platform.

laters-
Orangebeard
Cutthroat

4436 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you are new here, Welcome to the site, LordMonadire!

I agree, the Royal Sloop is a good ship (especially if you aren't sure what type of ship to use).

I am still the proud captain of a Frigate, but as I have said before, the War Canoe players deserve some respect too!
With nothing in sight to keep me warm!
moozician
Powder Monkey

84 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 80's, on the C-64.. I used barques...This version of the game, definitely a Royal Sloop.
I R Pirate
Powder Monkey

1116 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoTL... my fleet has 1 war canoe (for batter vs small ships) and 7 SoTLs, they are fast, has alots of guns, alot room for cargo... i havnt been to a port for a long time
PrinceScamp
Gunner

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Large Flyut, they are very fast fast and poweraful..against small fyluts anyways.... Twisted Evil Laughing Wink
320.9 SCAMP'S STOP
Cap'n Tiger
Powder Monkey

509 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I R Pirate wrote:
SoTL... my fleet has 1 war canoe (for batter vs small ships) and 7 SoTLs, they are fast, has alots of guns, alot room for cargo... i havnt been to a port for a long time

Damn, THAT'S an armada. Teddy Roosevelt may have said "Walk softly and carry a big stick," but you have made the phrase irrelevant. With this fleet, you may walk any way you want!!!

It's a nice touch keeping a wave runner, oops, I mean a war canoe, in your armada. I bet the young officer in charge of that boat and crew must get a lot of teasing.

By sinking every captured ship, isn't that depriving yourself of a lot of money? Additionally, how large is your crew and isn't it difficult to maintain moral?

I am asking so many questions, some people will think I am from Fort Wayne, NJ.
Grimmelshausen
Cutthroat

1811 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moozician wrote:
In the 80's, on the C-64.. I used barques...This version of the game, definitely a Royal Sloop.

Yes, in Pirates! Gold I use the barque as well most of the time. Until I get a frigate and chase galleons exclusively. I´ve captured the treasure fleet more often at sea than in port, and I´m carefull not to capture either the silver train nor the treasure fleet in a rich port like Havanna, Santiago or Cartagena. The reason is simple: If you capture one of oth, you get around 50.000 of gold, but each of he towns mentioned yields over 100.000 of gold, if you are fast enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: