Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

The Origin of Your Screen Name
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tavern Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My name... Reply with quote

Juan de San Diego wrote:
Not too difficult.....guess!

A-HA, a riddle! Here I go:

1) Your first name is Juan and you live, or have lived in San Diego (which is, by the way, the cleanest city I've visited in the US)

2) You were thinking of Don Diego De La Vega and changed the Don into San and dropped the rest and put your own name in the front... (eh...)
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
b4lazarus
Cutthroat

4739 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked on the free pascal Delphi emulator before the Lazarus project. Stolen dreams....! Ah, what the hell, life goes on.
Mycroft Stanyer
Seaman

2709 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mycroft Stanyer was the name of the persona I created in the Crimson Skies universe, a storyline centering around air piracy in 1930's North America.
PrinceScamp
Gunner

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when i was in kindergarten to grade two I was obseessed with penguins. My friends and i developed the name Scamper Penguin. A few years ago when I discovered Runescape, I was trying several names but they were all taken so I chose PrinceScamp, and it stuck, I use it everywhere, tohugh on neopets (which is EXTREMELY LAME! (i played it for a week)) i had to add 23 to the end...

Twisted Evil PrinceScamp Twisted Evil
320.9 SCAMP'S STOP
RoboPig
Powder Monkey

9 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doodling one day and drew a robotic Pig.............And RoboPig was born Very Happy
Guidon666
Cutthroat

2854 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signing up for something on the web. Tried to get the name Guidon (It's an army thing) and it told me that name was not aailable but would I like Guidon666.

Thought, Sure! Why not.

The name was not chosen for the anti-religious reasons that some have come to accuse me of at other places.
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Hmm... wow... some interesting stories. Love Kristian's, but I still think he was born in '95. Wink

Now for mine... Mine experienced a bit of an evolution from when I first started using it.

There's this Dutch writer who wrote a book about a 15th century (if I remember correctly) minstrel who was actually an agent for his lord but used his singing to travel freely and spy on other lords. His name was Fulco.

Fulco is great when you're 7, but it's a bit childish and you outgrow it rapidly, trust me. Smile Does anyone remember that 80's hit "Rock me Amadeus!" by Falco? Well, at the time I was active a bit on CB Radio (27MC for some of us, it's the frequency that truckers use, at least overhere) and Fulco didn't sound quite right. I think I was 15 or so at the time. Falco was cool (his other song 'Jeannie' still raises my skin) so a change was made quickly to Falco.

So far, so good. Then I got involved with the coolest thing you could do with your PC before the Internet was hot: Bulletin Board Systems. (for rhose who've never heard of 'm before, or 'think' they know what a BBS is: People dialed into a BBS, much like Internet, but it was only one computer on the other side of the line, though sometimes they talked to others, dialing in to them). A friend of mine was a sysop (system operator, much like your friendly local admins here) and he thought my name was lame. In hindsight, he was right. I had outgrown the Falco name too. He said I should come up with something cooler. Terminator, Rocky, Van Halen and Bruce Springsteen were all taken, so I chose to change the name to Falconer.

Kinda neat though. I love Falcons and I'll be participating in a Falconry day probably this summer. So, pretty fitting in the end.

Wow, long story and I've never told anyone before. Smile

Thats a real good story Falconer! Very Happy I enjoyed reading it! I kind of like the name Falco. It's more of a boxing or big time wrestling kind of name. "Now introducing the next heavyweight champion of the world.... Falco!" (Said in a heavy Brooklyn accent). Laughing

It also sounds like a name a private eye would have.... Such as this: "Private Eye Syd Falco at your service sir!" Laughing

It could also be the name of a comic book hero. How about this one... "The headlines read: Super hero Falco-man rescues the ship wrecked bunch of pirates stranded on a deserted isle by the evil Wolfwood and his sinister side kick in green Howie Hood." Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

(Never mind me, I'm going back to my bottle of rum now...) Mr. Green
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howie wrote:
Falconer wrote:
Hmm... wow... some interesting stories. Love Kristian's, but I still think he was born in '95. Wink

Now for mine... Mine experienced a bit of an evolution from when I first started using it.

There's this Dutch writer who wrote a book about a 15th century (if I remember correctly) minstrel who was actually an agent for his lord but used his singing to travel freely and spy on other lords. His name was Fulco.

Fulco is great when you're 7, but it's a bit childish and you outgrow it rapidly, trust me. Smile Does anyone remember that 80's hit "Rock me Amadeus!" by Falco? Well, at the time I was active a bit on CB Radio (27MC for some of us, it's the frequency that truckers use, at least overhere) and Fulco didn't sound quite right. I think I was 15 or so at the time. Falco was cool (his other song 'Jeannie' still raises my skin) so a change was made quickly to Falco.

So far, so good. Then I got involved with the coolest thing you could do with your PC before the Internet was hot: Bulletin Board Systems. (for rhose who've never heard of 'm before, or 'think' they know what a BBS is: People dialed into a BBS, much like Internet, but it was only one computer on the other side of the line, though sometimes they talked to others, dialing in to them). A friend of mine was a sysop (system operator, much like your friendly local admins here) and he thought my name was lame. In hindsight, he was right. I had outgrown the Falco name too. He said I should come up with something cooler. Terminator, Rocky, Van Halen and Bruce Springsteen were all taken, so I chose to change the name to Falconer.

Kinda neat though. I love Falcons and I'll be participating in a Falconry day probably this summer. So, pretty fitting in the end.

Wow, long story and I've never told anyone before. Smile

Thats a real good story Falconer! Very Happy I enjoyed reading it! I kind of like the name Falco. It's more of a boxing or big time wrestling kind of name. "Now introducing the next heavyweight champion of the world.... Falco!" (Said in a heavy Brooklyn accent). Laughing

It also sounds like a name a private eye would have.... Such as this: "Private Eye Syd Falco at your service sir!" Laughing

It could also be the name of a comic book hero. How about this one... "The headlines read: Super hero Falco-man rescues the ship wrecked bunch of pirates stranded on a deserted isle by the evil Wolfwood and his sinister side kick in green Howie Hood." Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

(Never mind me, I'm going back to my bottle of rum now...) Mr. Green

Laughing Laughing Laughing Howie, if you don't stop, I'm going to split a gut! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Fuzzy
Swabbie

566 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, once upon a time, my uncle had a fuzz-buster installed in his car. I was about 5, and in messing around with it, I managed to break it. The next day he got a speeding ticket. So my family called me "the fuzzbuster".

Later, when I started to play games online, I used the name fuzzbuster to register, but often had to change it because it is commonly used, so it was given up in exchange for "Fuzzylump".

Now, after countless jokes like, "I've got a fuzzylump in my pants", or "Want to pet my fuzzylump?", I decided to get a more mature name.

Thus the name of Fuzzy was born from the ashes of crappy jokes.
Westley_Roberts
Iron Guts

10339 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, have to add my name to the list....

Now, I know everyone knows where I got my name, but not the story behind it....

When I started playing computer games, we didn't get much of a choice on names...but, when I could I used things like DeathDealer, Undertaker, Tombstone....

When I joined the Army, I continued this naming convention, up until the day I went to play a 'Laser Tag' game in town called Photon. They kept scores on their database for a top 10. Well, this was a family friendly enviroment. So I had to come up with a new moniker...

Now, back in 82 - 85 I was in High school, and our Mascot was the Panther's, I thought, hmm... Panther, nice nick, it will work...So, there we go.. Panther, self proclaimed nick.

Well, lets fast foward a few years, to the Internet and all it's glory..

How many Panther's do you see?? I see a million, so I gotta come up with something...lemme see, I play Rogue's and Thieves while RPGing, so Panther The Rogue, that rolls nicely, dontcha think? Well, so did I, until the limited name space came into play...

I refused to include a number on my main moniker. so, I had to come up with something else...OH, OH, I know, My Favorite Thief...Shadowspawn..

I tried that a few places, until I noticed it was taken too....PFFT ;P
So, again I delve into the dark untouched recesses of my mind, and dig deeply.....Hmm. Favorite Movie Character.....Well. The Princess Bride is one of my All time fav's so, I can use Westley, not using the spelling of the Star Trek Wessley, which is a wuss, but that's a different story..
Now, Some games like a last name, so, what to use?? hmm....

The Dread Pirate Roberts is a bit long, let's see what we can do to shorten it..lets just use Roberts. Westley Roberts...Good name, and if people have seen the Movie, they'll know where I got it.

The most fun I've had is playing on EverQuest with my Ranger, Westley, people think my last name should be Snipes, for the Ranger ability. but, no, that's not it... Just the Dread Pirate...

So, it was a long walk, but was it worth it???

Westley_Roberts, The Dread Pirate.

Have an Army Day
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh.. The Princess Bride. Another of my favourite movies....I figured that is where the name came from.

A quote from the movie springs to mind when playing Pirates!...

He is just 'mostly dead'.

Actually, when the game was being developed, I made a suggestion that they use the "My name is (insert name here), you captured my father, prepare to die" line when you catch up with the evil spaniard. Much to my dismay, they decided not to include it. Crying or Very sad

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingWilly wrote:
Ahhh.. The Princess Bride. Another of my favourite movies....I figured that is where the name came from.

A quote from the movie springs to mind when playing Pirates!...

He is just 'mostly dead'.

Actually, when the game was being developed, I made a suggestion that they use the "My name is (insert name here), you captured my father, prepare to die" line when you catch up with the evil spaniard. Much to my dismay, they decided not to include it. Crying or Very sad

Now, that would have been funny.
Swordhawk
Powder Monkey

382 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaggorn Swordhawk was my favorite name off all the AD&D characters i ever created.

since then i've used a version of it in any game i play or board i sign up on
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone guess mine?

headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. striker, I think your name is from G.I.Joe

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next