Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

The Origin of Your Screen Name
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tavern Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headrock wrote:
P.S. striker, I think your name is from G.I.Joe

Headrock I see you found another internet cafe? How about a daily report on life in China. Maybe we could set up a thread about that? It would be cool.......
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headrock wrote:
P.S. striker, I think your name is from G.I.Joe

Probably from the G.I. Joe cartoons that I watched when I was a little one.
ruff_hi
Swabbie

1031 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play (or played) a lot of bridge and someone pointed out that you could play bridge on yahoo but you needed a user name. Now, 'ruff' is a bridge term meaning to play a trump on a non trump lead. Normally, you ruff with your lowest card (saving your As and Ks to take other high cards) but somethings you need to ruff high. Well, I wanted to also include a play on words (eg, people at the table can say "hi ruff hi") and that got me to where I am.

I also have another name that I sometimes use at bridge (when I want to play anonymously) which is "tissue_egg". I hate numbers so you have to combine words that no one else would think of combining. tissue_egg always works (for obvious reasons).
Gun Pierson
Gunner

5053 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Gun' is a part of my first name.
'Pierson' is a reformation of my family name. I made a big mistake though when I registered as it should be 'Peerson'. Not like the sound of 'pie' (the cake). The Dutch written 'ie' sounds like the English 'ee'. That's why I made the mistake. It's too late now. Crying or Very sad

Well at least it sounds funny now I think Smile
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gun Pierson wrote:
'Pierson' is a reformation of my family name. I made a big mistake though when I registered as it should be 'Peerson'. Not like the sound of 'pie' (the cake). The Dutch written 'ie' sounds like the English 'ee'. That's why I made the mistake. It's too late now. Crying or Very sad

Hey Gun! Where have you been lately? I can't believe I have actually passed you in posts. That's not supposed to happen! Very Happy
Orangebeard
Cutthroat

4436 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangebeard is actually the persona Garfield the Cat adopts when he dresses up as a pirate on Halloween. He is joined by his trusty first mate "Odie the Stupid".

My wife loves everything related to Garfield and she used the name Orangebeard the first time she played Pirates!

My signature is actually a piece of the song that Garfield sings in his Halloween special. Truly a classic Garfield cartoon with some great "one liners".

As I have said before, I don't have a beard myself and can't grow one. I CAN grow my hair out so I look like a Chia-Pet which gives me some options if I ever get tired of Orangebeard...
With nothing in sight to keep me warm!
Gun Pierson
Gunner

5053 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Striker wrote:

Hey Gun! Where have you been lately?

I'm practicaly always around, that's why I travelled 'incognito' lately (hidden) Wink I found it fun, but it seems it gives the impression that I left the ship or something.
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gun Pierson wrote:
Striker wrote:

Hey Gun! Where have you been lately?

I'm practicaly always around, that's why I travelled 'incognito' lately (hidden) Wink I found it fun, but it seems it gives the impression that I left the ship or something.

It's good to hear from you. Hidden or otherwise. Very Happy
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gun Pierson wrote:

I would have have pronounced it 'Peerson'. Like the word 'Pier' in english which has a Pirates! meaning. That's where they moored their ships when in town...at the pier.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingWilly wrote:
Gun Pierson wrote:

I would have have pronounced it 'Peerson'. Like the word 'Pier' in english which has a Pirates! meaning. That's where they moored their ships when in town...at the pier.

I would pronounce it the same way. That is unless your from Eastern Kentucky and then its Pyreson.
Hunter
Swabbie

139 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name comes from two places. First, Rick Hunter of Robotech fame. And second, int he book "A/The Cuckoo's Egg" (Can't remember which), a database is infiltrated by a guy using the german word for Hunter...I've been using it ever since and it seems to stick.

If I find I can't use it somewhere I either use Hunter4242 or Hunter Noventa.
Gun Pierson
Gunner

5053 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Striker wrote:
KingWilly wrote:
Gun Pierson wrote:

I would pronounce it the same way. That is unless your from Eastern Kentucky and then its Pyreson.

Well guys, that's cool afterall. Now I can visit the forum here with my head up like a real pirate and not like the son of a bakerman or something. Laughing
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gun Pierson wrote:

Well guys, that's cool afterall. Now I can visit the forum here with my head up like a real pirate and not like the son of a bakerman or something. Laughing

Yeah, now you can visit like the son of a shipwright (who works by the pier). Has a nice Piratey ring (not one that you would give to a plain governor's daughter) to it, doesn't it.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Gun Pierson
Gunner

5053 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingWilly wrote:
Gun Pierson wrote:

Yeah, now you can visit like the son of a shipwright (who works by the pier). Has a nice Piratey ring (not one that you would give to a plain governor's daughter) to it, doesn't it.

Yes, it feels like I'm a new man. Laughing I like that explenation about the 'pier' and all. Wink
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howie wrote:
Headrock I see you found another internet cafe? How about a daily report on life in China. Maybe we could set up a thread about that? It would be cool.......

Well I'm in a huge tourist trap of a town right now. The lonely planet guide listed it as a "backpacker's paradise" two years ago, so naturally right now it's a big s***hole for taking tourists' money. At least the internet is free!
I'm already writing long e-mails back home detailing my journey... I think I'll spare you the horror, and just summarize when I get back, eventually. Or some day when I'm just planning to sit around all day and do nothing. Not today though - I'm going on a boat trip soon.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: