Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

The Origin of Your Screen Name
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tavern Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: The Origin of Your Screen Name Reply with quote

After reading a poll about the origin of Kristian95's screen name, I got to thinkin'. It would be neet to find out what the origin of people's screen name comes from. I don't actually remember where mine comes from. I think it had something to do with Voltron or Transformers. I've been using this screen name since the early days of BBSs. Shocked Imagine, no internet! That was about fifteen years ago.

So where did your screen name come from?
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Origin of Your Screen Name Reply with quote

Striker wrote:
After reading a poll about the origin of Kristian95's screen name, I got to thinkin'. It would be neet to find out what the origin of people's screen name comes from. I don't actually remember where mine comes from. I think it had something to do with Voltron or Transformers. I've been using this screen name since the early days of BBSs. Shocked Imagine, no internet! That was about fifteen years ago.

So where did your screen name come from?

Like I said in another thread. I use Howie (My nick name) as my screen name probably because my IQ is only 95 and I can't think of anything else that is more creative. Laughing Laughing Mr. Green

No seriously I just like using that name. It's not a name like Bill or Joe or something like that. (nothing against Bill or Joe). My Dads name was the same as mine. When I was a little kid relatives used to call me little Howie and my dad big Howie or Howie Sr.... I just like using it thats all..... Also as a tribute to dad. (He's with god now)......... Sad Sad Crying or Very sad
Cutthroat

2424 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've said this before.

Last summer I got into Star Wars Galaxies. The character I was making was going to be a Teras-Kasi Artist (Karate Man)

The random name generator made "Waxof" I immediately thought it would be funny to make a karate man named "Waxon Waxoff."

I changed the spelling of Waxoff to Waxov to make it a little more continental, and I've been Waxon Waxov ever since.
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDon was given to me many years ago by some guys that I worked with shortly after "The Godfather" came out. I started using it on various message boards, IRC chats, etc. Seemed like a natural, so I've used it ever since.

thedon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
TheDon was given to me many years ago by some guys that I worked with shortly after "The Godfather" came out. I started using it on various message boards, IRC chats, etc. Seemed like a natural, so I've used it ever since.

thedon

The funny thing is that I reminds me more of the Don in the paridy of Robin Hood that Mel Brooks wrote, "Robin Hood - Men in Tights". One of my favorite movies, by the way.
gordon_nicoles
Swabbie

478 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are probably going to think I'm silly or whatever, but thats okay. My name comes from the last name of my favorite NASCAR driver, Jeff Gordon, and the middle name of my baby girl (Nicole) with an 'S' added to the end of it. I'm not that creative and I thought it had a nice ring to it.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we've had a thread like this before, but I guess it doesn't hurt to say it again that I got my handle from my own last name (simply translated it). Not the most imaginative thing one could do, but I like wolves, so it's a rather natural choice...

WaxonWaxov wrote:
Last summer I got into Star Wars Galaxies. The character I was making was going to be a Teras-Kasi Artist (Karate Man)

The random name generator made "Waxof" I immediately thought it would be funny to make a karate man named "Waxon Waxoff."

I guess you know that Teras Kasi is actually Finnish and means "Steel hand"? Timothy Zahn actually uses a lot of Finnish as alien languages in his books and that is only one example of such. He actually had an alien in one of his books who was his planet's ambassador and had the name Lahettilas, which means, not so coincidentally "ambassador" in Finnish... Smile

BTW: I immediately thought of you when I was washing my car yesterday and some guy walked past, muttering "waxon waxoff"... Smile
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)

Last edited by Wolfwood on Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The funny thing is that I reminds me more of the Don in the paridy of Robin Hood that Mel Brooks wrote, "Robin Hood - Men in Tights". One of my favorite movies, by the way.

Ya, The Don is actually a title of respect. Don means "leader", so the Don indicates the main potato muncher in charge. A name like Don Juan Ponce de Leon means "A VIP named Juan Ponce who is from Leon".

theDon (main potato muncher)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cagekeeper
Swabbie

1000 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine actually comes from my wife. We had a lot of animals at our house: 2 horses, 2 birds (now gone), 2 rats (now gone), 1 rabbit (now gone), 4 dogs (1 now gone), 2 cats, and a Tenessee Fainting goat. She is known as the zookeeper. Well, these animals need there living quarters cleaned, fresh water, feed, poo removal, etc. That's my job so.....I'm Cagekeeper.
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... wow... some interesting stories. Love Kristian's, but I still think he was born in '95. Wink

Now for mine... Mine experienced a bit of an evolution from when I first started using it.

There's this Dutch writer who wrote a book about a 15th century (if I remember correctly) minstrel who was actually an agent for his lord but used his singing to travel freely and spy on other lords. His name was Fulco.

Fulco is great when you're 7, but it's a bit childish and you outgrow it rapidly, trust me. Smile Does anyone remember that 80's hit "Rock me Amadeus!" by Falco? Well, at the time I was active a bit on CB Radio (27MC for some of us, it's the frequency that truckers use, at least overhere) and Fulco didn't sound quite right. I think I was 15 or so at the time. Falco was cool (his other song 'Jeannie' still raises my skin) so a change was made quickly to Falco.

So far, so good. Then I got involved with the coolest thing you could do with your PC before the Internet was hot: Bulletin Board Systems. (for rhose who've never heard of 'm before, or 'think' they know what a BBS is: People dialed into a BBS, much like Internet, but it was only one computer on the other side of the line, though sometimes they talked to others, dialing in to them). A friend of mine was a sysop (system operator, much like your friendly local admins here) and he thought my name was lame. In hindsight, he was right. I had outgrown the Falco name too. He said I should come up with something cooler. Terminator, Rocky, Van Halen and Bruce Springsteen were all taken, so I chose to change the name to Falconer.

Kinda neat though. I love Falcons and I'll be participating in a Falconry day probably this summer. So, pretty fitting in the end.

Wow, long story and I've never told anyone before. Smile
PUNiSHER
Seaman

374 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my screen name must be very simple though...

I read all the comics regarding the character named "The Punisher".
Later on, I just had to see the movie they made (the first one, with Dolph Lundgren), which made me a happy man.
Then, when I started gaming online, I used the name of a famous Japanese Samurai, named Musashi.

But as I started to get better and better at the online gaming, it was only fair to have a little more proud of my skills...
Cool so I changed my name again to Punisher.
But ever since that name is often taken by someone else, I had to change it to "PUNiSHER" which is almost unique every time.

For your information, I bought the new movie edition as well... Laughing
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PUNiSHER wrote:
Well, my screen name must be very simple though...

I read all the comics regarding the character named "The Punisher".
Later on, I just had to see the movie they made (the first one, with Dolph Lundgren), which made me a happy man.
Then, when I started gaming online, I used the name of a famous Japanese Samurai, named Musashi.

But as I started to get better and better at the online gaming, it was only fair to have a little more proud of my skills...
Cool so I changed my name again to Punisher.
But ever since that name is often taken by someone else, I had to change it to "PUNiSHER" which is almost unique every time.

For your information, I bought the new movie edition as well... Laughing

I wondered about the small i. Good idea.
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice story Falc.

Here goes another one then....

My real name being William, all my friends used to shorten my name to Willy or Will (as is the case with most names in Australia). Then one day a breakfast cereal commercial on TV for a wheat based cereal came out with a cartoon character named King Willy Wheaties.

Of course, after that everyone called me King Willy Wheaties and then eventually just King Willy. I guess it just stuck and here I am now on Cutlass Isle as KingWilly.

I also like the line from the Mel Brooks movie "History of the World" where he says "It's good to be the king", so it suited me well too. He also uses the line in "Robin Hood - Men in Tights", a favourite movie of mine too, Striker.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
SuperCutless
Swabbie

190 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I suck, I dont have good story about my name like everyone else does, I just tried to take a guess on something someone else wouldnt already have........I should have taken more time to come up with something that actually means something to me....
Juan de San Diego
Seaman

5156 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: My name... Reply with quote

Not too difficult.....guess!

Juan
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: