Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

The Origin of Your Screen Name
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tavern Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SirMac
Swabbie

549 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So - because I'm kind of responsilbe for this topic (The Kristian95 Poll came from me) I will give you the story of my name...

Sir Mac... the complete story...

First the Mac. There are three impartial reasons which, all together, are responsible for the "Mac"

First one:
My parents had never much money, so we never travelled anywhere and I was the only boy in our class who had to spend the holidays at home. When I was about ten years old I spent the hole day in the library reading books and comics. One day a book of the scottish highlands fell into my hands and I was so impressed by the landscape and nature, that I dreamed of travelling to scotland very often. And es everybody should know, there are a lot of Mc's there in scotland Very Happy

Second one:
In 1986 three things happened: One of the greatest movies in movie-histoy made his way to the cinemas. Highlander. Wow - this was a hero and he was born in the land of my derams, the Highlands...
At the same time a TV-Series started it's way to success: Mac Gyver
Another Hero, but unlike the Highlander this guy defeated his opponents with his brain. And I wanted to be like both of them...
This guys are still my fav TV-Heroes...

Then, some years later, I started my Computer career with a C64.
Yes, I grant you that I was (and am still?) addicted to computer games. I spend the hole day, sitting in front of my small b/w TV, beating virtual enemys. At theses days It was common to enter only a mnemonic or your initials in highscore lists, because there was only space for three letters to enter. I immediately remembered to my two Heroes, both called Mac in the movies and the "Mac" was born.

Independet from that my real name is Marcel so the Mac isn't that far away from my real name and today everybody (my friends, my family and my colleagues) calls me Mac.

The "Sir" comes from my interest in medieval life. I'm a role player and I nearly always play charakters which are true good (like Paladins and Knights). You know, you always want to play charakters which are the opposite to your real life Twisted Evil .
My wife and I even had a medieval marriage in a castle (in real life).

When first playing "Diablo" and naming my very first charakter "Sir Mac" was born and since then he's never left me...

So Long
Sir Mac
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirMac wrote:
So - because I'm kind of responsilbe for this topic (The Kristian95 Poll came from me) I will give you the story of my name...

Sir Mac... the complete story...

First the Mac. There are three impartial reasons which, all together, are responsible for the "Mac"

First one:
My parents had never much money, so we never travelled anywhere and I was the only boy in our class who had to spend the holidays at home. When I was about ten years old I spent the hole day in the library reading books and comics. One day a book of the scottish highlands fell into my hands and I was so impressed by the landscape and nature, that I dreamed of travelling to scotland very often. And es everybody should know, there are a lot of Mc's there in scotland Very Happy

Second one:
In 1986 three things happened: One of the greatest movies in movie-histoy made his way to the cinemas. Highlander. Wow - this was a hero and he was born in the land of my derams, the Highlands...
At the same time a TV-Series started it's way to success: Mac Gyver
Another Hero, but unlike the Highlander this guy defeated his opponents with his brain. And I wanted to be like both of them...
This guys are still my fav TV-Heroes...

Then, some years later, I started my Computer career with a C64.
Yes, I grant you that I was (and am still?) addicted to computer games. I spend the hole day, sitting in front of my small b/w TV, beating virtual enemys. At theses days It was common to enter only a mnemonic or your initials in highscore lists, because there was only space for three letters to enter. I immediately remembered to my two Heroes, both called Mac in the movies and the "Mac" was born.

Independet from that my real name is Marcel so the Mac isn't that far away from my real name and today everybody (my friends, my family and my colleagues) calls me Mac.

The "Sir" comes from my interest in medieval life. I'm a role player and I nearly always play charakters which are true good (like Paladins and Knights). You know, you always want to play charakters which are the opposite to your real life Twisted Evil .
My wife and I even had a medieval marriage in a castle (in real life).

When first playing "Diablo" and naming my very first charakter "Sir Mac" was born and since then he's never left me...

So Long
Sir Mac

That's a great read! Thanks.
Dr Hook
Powder Monkey

129 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some fascinating stuff! I'll post my origins as well if anyone cares Smile

1st it's nothing to do with the band Dr. Hook (I never cared for them much). It's simply a silly reference to the hockey movie Slapshot! ANd of course, one of the villains out to get Reg and the boys- Tim Dr Hook McCracken, captain of the goon-laden Syracuse Gears, and the one whom Dunlop put the bounty on. I chose it because as a sideline I work for Sports Interactive LTD (Makers of Champ man/Footie man if any of you know it) out of London as a league researcher for one of their game titles called NHL Eastside Hockey Manager. On the forums there I decided to choose a hockey themed forum name. I've just kept it for all forums over the past couple years for ease of memory. And actually, it's not too bad for a pirate forum after all Very Happy
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Hook wrote:
Some fascinating stuff! I'll post my origins as well if anyone cares Smile

1st it's nothing to do with the band Dr. Hook (I never cared for them much). It's simply a silly reference to the hockey movie Slapshot! ANd of course, one of the villains out to get Reg and the boys- Tim Dr Hook McCracken, captain of the goon-laden Syracuse Gears, and the one whom Dunlop put the bounty on. I chose it because as a sideline I work for Sports Interactive LTD (Makers of Champ man/Footie man if any of you know it) out of London as a league researcher for one of their game titles called NHL Eastside Hockey Manager. On the forums there I decided to choose a hockey themed forum name. I've just kept it for all forums over the past couple years for ease of memory. And actually, it's not too bad for a pirate forum after all Very Happy

Too bad you could not have a hook on your right hand instead of a parot! Very Happy
Asmodina
Seaman

1397 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to go by another name before on most forums I frequented. Tthat was "Hope".

One day fights started on a forum about a TV show and quickly got out of hand. There was name calling and all that stuff. Somebody ended up in calling me "spawn of satan." So I decided it was time to make up to that description, cause there was nothing I did wrong in this fight. Twisted Evil

Asmodina comes from Asmodius, that's a latin name for the devil. There's a German series of novels about an agent hunting ghosts where Asmodina is the daughter of the devil. I decided that this name was quite fitting for me. Twisted Evil
SirMac
Swabbie

549 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha - Sinclair Leserin ?! Wink
Scottb2455
Powder Monkey

264 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm never very original, I'm old so I just pick my name and my birthdate, same as I do on yahoo. Ever sit there trying to remember a password? It would make me wanna pull out my hair if I had any left.
Scott
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting story SirMac.

Asmodina that certainly is a cool screen name, I have often wondered what it meant.

Dr. Hook as you can see in my signature I have Captain Hook. He was my first avatar before these new nul avatars came out. Every body made a big deal of me changing so I put him in my sig. No, I'm not really a Hook fan. I just like the way his head looks back and forth. I always say that he's a lookin' fer purty gurls...Mr. Green

Gun, which ever way the Pierson is spelled, its a real cool screen name. You're a cool dude too Gun...

Hunter, I also remember a Rick Hunter way back in the TV series "Hunter" about a police detective that had the pretty partner named McCall I think it was. Former football hero Fred Dryer played Hunter... Good show too.

Scottb2455 I like original and easy screen names too. Plus we share the hair thing. Crying or Very sad

Headrock, I saved you for last. It's always good to hear from you... I would very much be interested in reading about your travels in China...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Powder Monkey

6 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: My Screen name! Reply with quote

I'm into Norse Mythology and Viking Lore. So I set out on the web one night looking for a Woman's Old Norse name and came across a site that had many names for Norse Women. As I scrolled down and looked through the names, I came across Valdis. After finding it I went over the names again but the only one the stuck out was that name. So I made it my nickname and then my username for many of my forums. I also use it for other more important stuff like my banking, insurance, etc. Valdis means "battle dead". Smile

looking back, knowing that you gave it your all... win or lose, you finish a champion
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My Screen name! Reply with quote

valdis wrote:
I'm into Norse Mythology and Viking Lore. So I set out on the web one night looking for a Woman's Old Norse name and came across a site that had many names for Norse Women. As I scrolled down and looked through the names, I came across Valdis. After finding it I went over the names again but the only one the stuck out was that name. So I made it my nickname and then my username for many of my forums. I also use it for other more important stuff like my banking, insurance, etc. Valdis means "battle dead". Smile

Twisted Evil Nice name! Twisted Evil
Dirk Struan
Seaman

2440 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name just happens to have been stolen from a blooooody marvelous James Clavel novel called Tai-Pan. I recommend it (and the rest of JCs Asia series) to anyone in need of a lovely example of historical fiction.
PrinceScamp
Gunner

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool
Please donate to the Fortified Estate Foundation. Your donation (of over 30 gold) will get you a FREE pair of dice! So what are you waiting for? donate today! Or else the Dragon Inquistion will stop by for an, 'excersize', session.
320.9 SCAMP'S STOP
ruf
Seaman

899 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RUF=
my last name is Rufener,
my screen-name and licence plate is ITSRUF
Gunner

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yarr!