Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Cooking with Orangebeard!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orangebeard
Cutthroat

4436 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Cooking with Orangebeard! Reply with quote

I found a good rum recipie on the Gosling's Black Seal Rum website that I tried last night...mighty tasty!

1/4 cup (4 fl. ounces) Goslings Black Seal Rum
1/4 cup (4 fl. ounces) sweet mustard (i couldn't find "sweet mustard" so I used honey mustard)
3-4 medium shallots (onions), minced (I ended up using a pile of minced shallots a little bigger than a golf ball)
4 beef steaks (ribeye, porterhouse, sirloin) about 1 1/2 inches or 2-4 cm thick

Mix the mustard, rum & shallots in a bowl; I added some brown sugar to make the mix sweeter; I used about the same amount of brown sugar as it would take to fill the cap from your bottle of rum (maybe a little less; scooped, not packed!); Once mixed, this has a very strong flavor; the finished steaks will taste much milder...

mix together equal parts salt and black pepper; sprinkle lightly over both sides of each steak; rub the mix into the steaks a little bit; if you have any left over mix, save it for next time! Put all of the steaks in a big bowl or dish and pour the rum mix over them; make sure they are coated on both sides! Let them steaks sit for 30 minutes or for 2 hours in the refrigerator.

I grilled my steaks, but broiling would work too; grill them until they are cooked the way you like them; mine took 10 or 12 minutes over medium heat;

I also had some cherry tomatoes; skewered them, brushed them with olive oil and grilled them for about 5 minutes (turned them once or twice)

I had some small potatoes that I cut down to cherry tomato size; boiled in water for 30 minutes; skewered, brushed them with olive oil and grilled with the tomatoes.

I added "italian seasoning" to the oil, but a little thyme, basil, rosemary, marjoram, or oregano would work too; whatever you have laying around...

Can't find the Black Seal? Any dark rum would work (Meyer's, Bacardi, etc.) I would not use my good "sipping" rum for this; too many other flavors mixed in!

And I must say, the Hefeweizen beer matched with the finished steaks surprisingly well! A nice pilsner would work too I think...
With nothing in sight to keep me warm!
Juan de San Diego
Seaman

5156 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: MMMMM! Reply with quote

Sound wonderful...have to try it. You need to make sure that the amount of run is increased. ALWAYS try the rum beforehand to make sure it is not spoiled Wink

Juan
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds so good, I'm gonna go shoot a cow! Got to admit you had me scared, there. At first, I thought this was a testimony as to HOW Orangebeard was SERVED after an encounter with some locals. THEN, I figured, "NAH, he's figured-out a way to replace saffron with his tonsoral trimmings!" Either way, it looked like BAD NEWS!

Thanks for the recipe, Orangebeard.
Gunner

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Sweet, I won't be cookingt them, but, they sure sound good! Great thread ORANGEBEARD!
320.9 SCAMP'S STOP
Bloody William Flint
Swabbie

207 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: cooking with Orangebeard Reply with quote

i only make ship biskits & grog well not grog as of yet
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: