Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Smuggle mod
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Augey
Powder Monkey

12 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Smuggle mod Reply with quote

Would it be possible for someone to create a mod that would allow you to sneak into a town and go to the merchant? That would make smuggling a little more interesting and fun.

Augey
Hunter
Swabbie

139 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that most people would rather sack a town than sneak in, the chances of that sort of mod would be pretty slim. Especially considering that sneaking is probably a hard-coded part of the game.
Augey
Powder Monkey

12 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. Just thought it would be kinda neat trying to sneak around, buying and selling, without getting caught.

Augey
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get those nations mad at you so that you cannot enter town without sneaking, you could play the game that way. I don't enjoy the sneaking that much, but it would be an interesting tactic.

thedon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Augey
Powder Monkey

12 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I can get them mad. That's not the problem. Not being able to visit the merchant, is. That's why I suggested a mod allowing it.

Augey
crabber338
Powder Monkey

1253 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augey is right, smuggling is kinda worthless when all you can do is sneak into the tavern or the governor's house. It would be neat if they allowed some way of trading in major hostile ports.
PiratesFan
Rigger

23503 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you could go to the merchant when you sneaked into town. I swore I have done that before. I may have to set up a journeyman game and try it to see if I remember correctly
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CGM3
Gunner

12612 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment, I don't think you can find the Merchant or the Shipwright when you sneak into town, just the Governor's Mansion or the Tavern (and when you leave, you leave town as well, so you can't visit both with one sneak), but smuggling by the "player character" would certainly add a new element to the game.

You'd probably have to receive an "intro" somewhere in order to "make contact" with the Merchant covertly. This could be a new Special Item like a Password that, when you have it, gives you a chance (the "upper level" version would make it more likely) of finding the Merchant's place while sneaking. Or it could be something you obtain from the mysterious traveller (for a price), perhaps a city-specific "tip" that lets you sneak to the Merchant in that city but no other (until you get a "tip" for another city.)

To sweeten the pot, Luxuries and Spice, and maybe even Trade Goods, sold while smuggling should fetch a higher price than normally available in the port. Of course, you could only smuggle in ports where you can't enter normally.

I suspect the programming for this would probably call for a full-fledged expansion rather than a mere mod (anyone for Sid Meier's Pirates! Crossfire?), but, hey, we can dream! Smile
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augey wrote:
Ok, thanks. Just thought it would be kinda neat trying to sneak around, buying and selling, without getting caught.
Augey

Get the disguise stuff, moustache, etc.
PrinceScamp
Gunner

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have never sneaked out of town except when caught...
320.9 SCAMP'S STOP
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airsaw wrote:
Augey wrote:
Augey

Yep, that's how you do it. Just need to purchase / obtain the false moustache or the disguise kit. That allows you to visit the merchant at an unfriendly port. He no longer recognises you allowing you to trade with him.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
CGM3
Gunner

12612 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingWilly wrote:
Airsaw wrote:

Yep, that's how you do it. Just need to purchase / obtain the false moustache or the disguise kit. That allows you to visit the merchant at an unfriendly port. He no longer recognises you allowing you to trade with him.

It's my understanding that the false mustache and theatrical disguise only work in those Spanish ports where you can enter normally (because the Spanish aren't mad at you), but the Merchant won't trade with you (because you have no Spanish rank). This is actually a very narrow "window of opportunity", so the two items are fairly worthless.

Of course, I could be wrong. Has anyone ever obtained one (or both) of these items and subsequently sneaked into town and dealt with the Merchant?
PiratesFan
Rigger

23503 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I have tried with old games and a new game and was unble to find the merchant ... I must just be remembering about the tavern. Which is nice for getting more crew. I mean you can even speak to the governor but not the merchant ... thats just stupid... oh well maybe the disguise thing will work.. hmmm. I remember the disguise only for when you go in normally. didn't know it might make a difference with sneaking into town. Maybe I should find a gmae where I have both.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiratesFan wrote:
Ok I have tried with old games and a new game and was unble to find the merchant ... I must just be remembering about the tavern. Which is nice for getting more crew. I mean you can even speak to the governor but not the merchant ... thats just stupid... oh well maybe the disguise thing will work.. hmmm. I remember the disguise only for when you go in normally.

I was just repeating what I heard, as far as the only way to get past a merchant who won't deal with you. I spent a lot of time sneaking around town, just to get the hang of it, and the only places I've found to enter are the tavern and guv's house. I've often wanted, especially when way out in the waters on the western end of the South American coast, to sneak in and sell my ill-gotten goods, as a way to avoid the looooooooooong trip back to a friendly port. Alas, no merchant.

It does add a tier of difficulty which I imagine real pirates had to face. The inconvenience was annoying. Being in that target-rich area if you COULD sneak in, would be something akin to Mario's coin ships! But, realistically speaking in terms of gameplay, it would be stealing candy from a baby, and so was probably denied to us (as players) so we couldn't find an easy out. That's how I see it, anyway.
PiratesFan
Rigger

23503 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original game wouldn't allow you to get to the merchant either when you snuck into town if I remember correctly. So if it was going off the original in this case they did do right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: